NEW HERE

HI MY NAME IS JOANN NEW TO THIS SITE AND LUNG CA WAS DX MAY 8 07 . MY ONC STS IM A STAGE 4 DUE TO TWO VERY SMALL SIZE OF A PEA ON MY UPPER SPINE NO WHERE ELSE PRAISE GOD. AND A 3.5CM 2.2 TUMOR LUPPER LOBE NO SYMPTOMS, NO SOB WEIGHT LOSS COUGH JUST VERY LITTLE UPPER BACK PAIN I THOUGHT FROM WORKING OUT. WELL JUST CHECKING IN AND THANKS FOR BEING HERE HUGS PRYAERS JOANN : : :roll: :

Hi, Joann, and welcome to the LCSC!

Even though you're considered Stage IV because of the spine mets, it sounds to me like you just barely qualified for that honor :roll: and there will be a number of potentially very helpful treatments available to you. When you get more information such as specific cell type (adenocarcinoma, etc.) and treatment plan (radiation if any, plus names of the chemo agents), a good place to post it would be in a chronological profile (symptoms, diagnoses, treatments, side effects, test results) like you see at the bottom of our messages. Use the "My Profile" link at the top, scroll down to "Signature," enter/update your information, and ensure "Always attach my signature" is marked "Yes." Will save you lots of time in the long run and help you get more and better answers to any questions you may have.

By the way, some of us old guys have a REALLY hard time reading messages where every word is in capital letters. I've heard people object to all-caps because they say it's like SHOUTING, but that part doesn't bother me. I simply find it hard to read and tend to avoid posts and profiles in all-caps if I'm tired or pressed for time, which seems to be rather often these days.

So you're in Pittsburgh! I love your city and drove up there every chance I got during my 3 years as an Air Force ROTC instructor at West Virginia University (Morgantown) a long time ago. That first view of the city coming out of the Fort Pitt Tunnel is breathtaking, to say the least! Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Hi Joann, welcome to the boards. Sorry about your news but you have found a great source of support and information. Please keep us updated as you and your Dr. come up with a treatment plan. There are many people here that will be able to answer your questions and help guide you along this new road. Shelley

Welcome here Joann,

So sorry you had to find us, but you will find we are the best support family. We are here for you if you need advice, prayers, questions or if you just want to vent.

We have walked in your shoes an we know how scared and unsure you are feeling. Please know that there are so many new treatments out there that if one does not work they will try another. Also please know the stage IV is not a death sentence, there are many here who have beaten the odds and its been years. Keep a positive attitude that is half the battle right there. You MUST fight this beast. So put on those boxing gloves and start slugging away. We are in your corner routing you on!

Keep us in the loop and up to date on your prognosis.

We are here for you 24/7.

Maryanne

Thanks for all of you input already I feel a sense of warmth. I started on carbo/taxel June 1 and a clinical trial verdale every 3 weeks and the verdale on mondays and fridays it an injection into your IV. Had some nausea weakness after the verdale buth other than that oky. not sure how many treatments I will receive . No radiation I guess my oncolgist is just hoping the cehemo will work for now. I have a 14 year old son Who is a severe hemophliac so for the past 14 years we werew in out of hospitals withhim but he is doing great now gives himseelf his own meds started taht in aug 2006. Snow its my turn I guess oh well this a reason for everything Gods ways are not my ways. But I will praise him anyway hugs prayers joann

Joann:

It's great to hear that your son is doing so well. You've certainly had your plate full for many years.

I'm quite familiar with the taxol/carboplatin combination as I was on that every 3 weeks October thru January -- the profile attached to my previous post (above) goes into some detail on my side effects, but overall I tolerated it pretty well and the bad guys have shrunk. My chemo was combined with avastin, which I'm still on, now as a single-agent therapy, also every 3 weeks. My cell type is adenocarcinoma (non-small cell), for which the taxol/carbo/avastin combination followed by avastin alone has become a fairly standard treatment.

I don't know anything about verdale, and couldn't find reference to it on Google (except as a variety of olive) or at all on Dr. West's site at onctalk.com. Maybe it's better known under a different name?

Good luck on the clinical trial, and please keep us posted as your journey unfolds. Aloha,

Ned

Welcome Joann,

I also have a teenager who is bipolar to deal with and now she is my caregiver... :shock: Life goes on. You seem to have the right attitude and take life as it is. I have stage 3b with mets to my spine and have had radiation. It did do some good as it shrunk alot of the junk. Maybe you should talk to your onc about it or get a second op as it never hurts to know more and get the best treatment as you can. Remember we are fighters and will never give up. My attitude is that I am just waiting on the cure so they can give me the shot and I will live my life like it use to be one day. Ok so I can never go back but it will be better one day soon. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sherry

• 2 weeks later...

This site is great! Read many posts and am very glad to know that there are so many others with similar experiences. It's very encouraging to hear your stories and know that there are many survivors, many years after their diagnoses. I am very grateful to have huge support from my family and friends and can tell already that this site can also be a source of support. I can relate to many things... incision pain, hating bras and more. Right now I'm enjoying my 1st month Dr./test free in 1 and 1/2 yrs! I think I am, but what does NED mean?javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

Thank you all,

-E