My wife

hawkeye

My wife ,who is 53, was diagnoised with SCLC on March 30,2006. The tumor is at the base of her left lung and is surrounding a main artery form the heart so surgery was not an option. She has been doing chemo with carboplatin for almost a year now. Her last CT showed more growth so she has now started topotican. Her ONC at the begining said that most people could last up to 2 years and some longer. I myself have taken a leave from work to help care for her.

Welcome to the site. You will get a lot of support here. Sorry to hear about your wife. I had nsclc. There are many here that had SCLC that are way past two years. I would not give up hope for a lot longer survival time. You need to fill out the profile for your wife so that we can see what her treatment has been. There may be a more aggressive treatment. From what you have said her onc does not sound like he is headed for a cure. I would consider getting a second opinion, if you have not already done so. M. D. Anderson in Houston is a good place to start. I would search till I found a doctor who said that they thought they could cure her. You may want to read Kasey’s story in the MY STORY forum. She also had nsclc, but you can see what a little searching can do.

http://lchelp.org/l_community/viewtopic.php?t=15264

She searched till she found a doctor that said yes I can help you. Keep us posted.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

At the top of each page it says (MY PROFILE) Click onto that and fill out the information then click on submit.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife. Have they done more then one chemo at a time? I know people who had small cell lung cancer and they had two chemos at a time such as VP-16 and Cisplatin. Small Cell Lung Cancer usually reacts very well to chemos. I know some long term sclc survivors and they are doing well to this day. We have CindyRN here on the board who is a long term sclc survivor.

Best of luck to your wife.

Thank you for the relpies. She was doing carboplatin and VP-16.She also had 30 days of radition therapy to allow her to breath better which was effective. Now she is on topotican. We in fact did go to M.D. ANderson last October for a 2nd opinion when the tumors started growing again. Her ONC wanted to go right to the topotican but the Dr. at M.D. Anderson suggested that we stick with the carbopatin and VP-16 since we had good results with them until we got no further results from them or the tumors started growing again. Three months ago she fell and recieved a compression fracture of the 2nd and 3rd vertabre.She has trouble standing for any lenght of time and she can't walk more than 50' without stopping to catch her breath. She is on oxygen and it helps.She is now doing chemo 5 days a week with topotican. That is where we are now. I will get the profile do ASAP.

So sorry to hear about your wife and how that particular treatment did not seem to work for her. But there is so many other treatments out there and I pray the one they are starting her on is one that will show much better results.

I know how scared you are as so many of us have walked in your shoes. Just keep a positive attitude and keep her spirits up.

LC is not a death sentence and so not listen to statistics as so many on here have beaten the odds.

Please know that we are here for you 24/7 if you need advice, support, prayers of just want to vent.

Hang strong,

Maryanne

Hi and welcome. I have read of others who have sclc go on to cyberknife treatment to kill residual disease. I think the tumor surrounding the heart may not be a problem for cyberknife. They would probably tell you it would not be a cure, but your wife could be less symptomatic after treatment and possibly be cancer free for a while. You can talk to radiation oncologists about it at:

http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/

Hi Hawkeye and welcome.

Your name drew my attention...I live in Iowa, "The Hawkeye State"! I'm so sorry to hear of your wife's diagnosis but glad you found us.

Hopefully a chemo break will allow her cell counts to climb again and she'll be back on the treatment train soon enough!

Much love and many prayers...

Hawkeye,

I understand her frustration (and yours) about not be able to get chemo. My husband has low blood counts with Topotecan and has had more off time than on with chemo. We just had a visit with the Nurse Practitioner today and hopefully can get in the swing of things with blood booster shots more often. We'll see how that goes. I can sympathize with you as I know how you are feeling. It's so difficult to see our loved ones suffering. Hang in there and come here often, there are so many people here who really care.

My wife wanted me to ask you folks this and these are her words "we are on our 2nd line of chemo for sclc (oat cell). Next step will be clinical trials. We are looking for suggestions as to how to screen all the trials available. Can anyone give us some suggestions?"

Thanks

Hawkeye

Hawkeye,

Welcome to the site. I am so sorry that you needed to find us, but I am glad you did. When I joined this site, a little over a year ago, I was here for the same reason...my dad had been diagnosed with SCLC, with Superior Vena Cava syndrome, meaning that the cancer was cutting off the blood supply from the heart to the upper extremeties. It was very scary.

My dad will be in remission for one full year in August...and boy I tell you...we will rejoice...it has been an amazing gift from God.

Read the stories of success here, and don't lose hope. Stay strong and love with all your heart.

Blessings,

Jen