The Purpose Driven Life

Don Wood

Lucie and I are reading together a book called, "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. Several friends have recommended it to us, and I recommend it to you all. It is about "What on earth am I here for?" I think it can be a help in our time of trial. There are 40 chapters, each just a few pages of reading, that focus on important life issues. You are supposed to read one chapter each day with a friend or loved one and then discuss together the question posed at the end. We have just started and already we are sharing some important areas of our life. I commend it to you for your consideration. Love ya! Don

Thanks Don

I was just thinking I dont really have an interesting book to read on the long ride down to Florida. We are leaving tomorrow morning to take my mom. I started to read the Lance Armstrong story before my dad past, I dont really see any sense in finishing it now.

One thing the book encourages us to do is to be aware of God in our lives each day. This morning I ran into the drug store to get a card for my niece's upcoming birthday. Right next to the card aisle was a stuffed dog, sitting on some boxes. I realized the dog was Scooby Doo. Now when I used to watch cartoons on Saturday morning with my kids, one was Scooby Doo. That was the only cartoon Lucie really liked -- she has always talked about Scooby Doo. Well, I could not leave the store without Scooby Doo! And this one talks! If you squueze his ear, he says things like, "I need a hug!" and "That was the best hug ever!" I brought Scooby home while Lucie was out and put him draped over her lounge chair. When she came in this afternoon, she spotted Scooby and headed straight for him. She has been cuddling and hugging him ever since. Now, how to you think Scooby just happened to be at the card aisle? Don

• 3 months later...

Don,

I have wanted to get this book since you mentioned it a few months ago. Well one of my angels here got it for me. I too would recommend it to anyone who is "lost".

Anything we can do in the fight for life is well worth the time and this books makes looking at the battles we go through so much clearer and hopefully easier to deal with. Miracles are so much easier to see when our eyes and hearts are open.

I wanted to thank you for sharing this wonderful book.

Much love and peace,

Shirley

I'm glad you found it helpful to you. We did finish the book together, and it provided a great sharing time each day for the two of us. We have never read a book together, so that was special. We got a lot of issues aired, and it does help one put things in perspective, at least we found it to be that way. Don

Isn't it strange how we all seem to find the same thing when it is needed? Two weeks ago my landlord gave me this book. It is truly one of the best books I have ever read to get me thinking about life. I highly recomend it to everyone.

I have no one to read it with but it gives me a good way to start each day. I usually read my chapter while drinking my second cup of coffee. Later when I take my dog for her walk I can look at the mountains that suround me and I see God everywhere. It is such a good time and beautiful place to contemplate the words in that book.

I still have much of it to read but what I have read so far inforces my belief that how we treat others and the love we show to them is more important than anything we will ever own. When we leave this Earth we take the same thing that we came with. That is love. We are born with the love of God and born into a world where we can experience love. When we die we take our love with us and God's love too.

When I question why I am here and what my purpose is I know that whatever I do with my life love will be the one thing that I will always take with me. This book is one that everyone should read. It not only gives comfort, it gives hope.

Hi, Don! I just read your post about the Purpose Driven Life and I purchased two of them yesterday...one for me and one for my father. We agreed to read and study it together. I am so looking forward to spending some special time with my Dad and also with my heavenly Father!

The Purpose Driven Life is written by Rick Warren,and is a wonderful book to learn about yourself. Our church is having a 40 day event using this as our study guide. We had a satellite viewing of Rick speaking,and every week we have another video of him,before our short study on the book. It makes you really think about what is important in life. I have noticed that you can also purchase this on audio tape(much higher price) Our little group reads a chapter a day. We also have memory verse key rings that are on the subject that particular week. The pastor's sermons are on this subject as well. There were 3000 churches watching the satellite at the same time. Seems more than a coincidence that the Passion of the Christ movie came out, near the same time as this 40 days of purpose campaign. We are preparing to find out what our purpose really is.

The book is available at Walmart and Sam's in the $10.00 range.

Great book! :D Rick Warren is a pastor at Saddleback church in California. http://www.purposedrivenlife.com

This book really enforces so many of my beliefs, especially those about love being the most important thing in life and that giving of ourselves and time mean the most. These are lessons that are so needed in todays society.

I have little problem understanding and believing the things written here. My problem comes with accepting. It is hard for me to accept that the pain and adversity in my life have been for my own bennifit. Then there is the major problem that I have. It is forgiveness.

It is easy in many ways to forgive the people who have hurt me in my life. There were just so many that caused either physical or emotional pain to Johnny some even caused both. I caused him my share of emtional pain even if I did not intend to. I felt and lived with most of his pain. I know that it was those things that not only helped cost him his life but made it so hard the last two months. That not only caused me the most pain that I have ever known but is responisible for the greatest loss I have ever had to endure. I just can't forgive that no matter how hard I try. :x

My question is does anyone else have these hang ups or others? Just feel sometimes like I am so different than other people. Johnny always found a way to forgive but I guess I am just not as big a person as he was. :(

Forgiveness is not an easy thing, but we are called to practice it anyway. Forgiveness is not about the forgiven one, but the forgiving one. It is a way to bring peace to the forgiving one. It is to say, "This hurt will no longer control and rule my life. I am moving on." It is a move toward wholeness and wellness. Many times, we need God's strength to add to our own to be able to do this. I wish that peace for you, Lily. Blessings. Don

Forgiveness? Boy oh boy, that IS tough.

I left my first husband - father of my oldest son - 12 years ago. I think I've finally managed to forgive him for the things that happened during our mariage and divorce. But I seem to have a lot of trouble being tolerant of his current shortcomings. Seems I get lots of practice on the forgiveness thing with him. Not getting any easier. :oops:

Part of forgiveness is accepting the limitations of the person you need to forgive. In many cases, that person is doing their best.

“We pardon to the extent that we love” - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld

Don - thanks for the book recommendation. Must get that one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Don,

My Brother ( not Alan) came to visit me last year as he does every year for a week around my birthday and his. He was reading the book and showed it to me. Usually if he can read something I am interested in quickly he will leave it for me. He explained how this book was suppose to be only read a chapter at a time. He was reading it within his church group also. I wanted to read it so I had a $20 gift certificate from a friend for my birthday from our local book store so off we went to find me the book. I found it and it was $19.99. Perfect I said and bought it. As we were walking out of the book store I said to my brother "Look, I even have a penny from Heaven". My husband and I read that book for 40 nights and enjoyed reading it before bed and then laying in each others arms and discussing what we had read. I, also recomend the book to anyone that wants to know what their purpose is and about the gifts God gives us.

God Bless You All,

Jane

PS Oh, the reason I had the penny from Heaven was I live in NH and there is no sales tax here :-))

I have the book, but as I am alone I have to discuss it

on the Internet with a friend that lost her husband so

the reading went fine, the discussions were good and

we both are making progress, she just returned from

Russia after a trip to help a church and an orphenage

to open, my trip is later for the year.

So we found ways to be of use and look towards life again.

Thank you Don for the suggestion.

J.C.

• 2 weeks later...