introduction

Guest debbiebouchard

Guest debbiebouchard

My name is Debbie and I live in Maine. The 21st of last month my Mom went to the walk in clinic because she felt weak(hadn't been eating well) and had a persistent cough. She has lung cancer.

She has a 4cm tumor in one lung, nodes in the other, and near lymph node involvement. She is also scared to death because we lost my Dad to lung cancer 3 1/2 years ago. He died 6 weeks after diagnosis.

So far we have tried to start chemo twice. First time was taxo/carbo, and she had a reaction 10 minutes into the 11 minute test dose. Second time she had taxotere and has a reaction 3 minutes in. So no more taxanes for her! I am a bit demoralized by this (and I think she is too), but one good thing did come of it. She is now on anti nausea meds and is finally eating and is stronger and much less lethargic.

We are scheduled to try Alimpta starting next week, so we will see how that goes....

I live three hours away from Mom, so I am splitting myself in half trying to keep my house (husband of 22 years, 20 year old daughter that just moved out, and 17 year old autistic son)running and get Mom what she needs!

Do things ever smooth out?

Thanks for listening,

Debbie

Hi Debbie, I'm sorry that you have reason to be here, but I think you'll be glad you joined and will find lots of useful information here. It must be very scary for you and your Mom, given your Dad's cancer experience. Remember, each person is different and they're reaction too meds, etc. is also different.

I'm not certain that things really "smooth out" but you and your family will find a "new normal" and things will be a bit easier then. It sounds as though you'll need a lot of help and support, if people volunteer that, accept it! If not, try asking and see what happens. (I can't guarantee good results, but it's worth trying.)

Please come back to the message boards with any problems or questions, and let us know what solutions you find. They may help someone else.

Muriel

Hi Debbie and welcome

I am so sorry about your Mom's diagnosis. I am very glad you found this site, though. The beginning of this cancer journey is tough but once your Mom has a treatment plan in place and is able to get on a schedule it will get a little less hectic.

Please let us know how we can help you and know that we are always here..

Christine

Guest debbiebouchard

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and positive thoughts! I really appreciate it. As I learned when my son was diagnosed with autism, sometimes the only way to deal with everything is to 'talk' with others in the same boat...

I may not be able to post alot, as I as basically living in two places right now (Mom's and home, but I do try to at least read posts everyday.

Thanks again,

Debbie

From one Debbie to another !!

Welcome, I am sorry to hear about your mum. I remember early on in my mums treatment I thought I was caught up in a whirlwind! It does smooth out especially once treatment is settled. I know what you mean about living in two places. I am the same at the moment with my mum but she lives nearby luckily. A three hour drive is NOT something I would welcomeright now. Remember to care of YOU too !

God bless you and your family

Debbie