Really bad neuropathy

spicysashimi

Hi all,

So.... I am on a weekly Taxol regimen. I have never felt like this before. My feet feel like numb stumps. And I can feel the neuropathy creep up my legs into my calves. similarly, my fingers are numb. and i can feel the neuropathy in has now crept in my forearms and upper arms.

I know its been discused before, but i can't find it. are therere anysupplements that might help?

aaron

Aaron, when my husband experienced neuropathy, we we were told that he should take B-complex. It did seem to help. We were also told to let the clinic know if the neuropathy got out of hand or caused significant pain - they would temporarily slow down the treatment schedule if it did.

Your symptoms seem significant enough to warrant letting the onc know about it. See if they can help.

I'm thinking of you. mc

Oh Aaron!!

I'm so sorry to hear this is happening -- geez, sometimes you can't win for losing with this beast. Tony was put on B6 up to 600 mg per day before he even started the Taxol/Carbo regimen. I don't know if it helped, but he never had any neuropathy. Someone else mentioned actual prescriptions and I've heard of those too. Check with Ned (recce101) as I vaguely recall that he may have take script meds for his neuropathy.

Take care and I hope you can get this under control.

Hugs,

Welthy

Aaron,

The supplements are

Vit. B-2 100mg a day

Vit. B-6 100mg a day

Vit. B-12 100mg a day,

it could be increase to your needs

but works better it the mg are the same

all the Vit.

Also the doctor could give you

Gabapentin or Neurotin it works well

on neuropathy.

Hope that it goes away.

Jackie

Hi Aaron,

My husband is dealing with the same problem right now, because of Taxol.

The doctor decided to skip the 6th dose , because he said it was probably building up in Harry's system.

Maybe you could suggest a little break from Chemo to your doctor. ?

Hope you feel better soon.

Nova

(((Aaron)))

I'm so sorry you are going thru all of this. I wanted to tell you about quinine, try some tonic water, I remember when Carlton had his bouts with neuropathy that he was told to drink tonic and or soda water because of the quinine might help in the neuropathy. It couldn't hurt...

wishing you all the best...

Grace

Spicy:

"Welthy" Check with Ned (recce101) as I vaguely recall that he may have take script meds for his neuropathy.

It was Neurontin (generic: gabapentin). I describe my bout with neuropathy about 3/5 through my profile. I'm still on a reduced dose, and there's still a small amount of residual numbness in the toes but no more tingling or loss of leg muscle control. It's the worst side effect I had with Taxol, and I feel very fortunate that the Neurontin worked quickly for me.

I believe supplements can help too, but they probably work slower and may need to be started early for best effect. Also, mega-doses of some supplements/vitamins are said to interfere with the action of some chemos.

Good luck and Aloha,

Ned

Aaron,

Oh good, I'm glad to see Ned checked in with his experience and meds. I also echo what he said about starting the B6 before the actual chemo, but the barn door is open now. FYI, our oncologist did recommend taking as small of a B6 dosage as possible to stop/ward off the neuropathy, as he also voiced the same concerns that Ned mentioned about conflicts and undermining the chemo with larger dosages. Tony dropped from 600 mg to 200 mg per day following that conversation. (He also took a multi-vitamin on top of that.)

Welthy

Aaron,

You know that I take a lot of supplements. I can’t say which may help. I had Taxol my first round back in 2005. I have had Taxol going on this time into my 6th month. I do stop some supplements within 24 hours of chemo. I also started acupuncture once a week. The neuropathy has not increased much since then. I think both MD Anderson and Mayo have done some acupuncture along with chemo. I am only bothered with neuropathy in my left hand and my right foot especially the little finger, but it is just numbness and is not much trouble at all. B-6 and B-12 are two of the supplements that I take.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

I've had some neuropathy from low B12 which has improved with sublingual mega-doses of b12 (5000 mg I believe). I know when people have really low B12 that they can get B12 injections from the doctors office. I don't know if this is the same type of neuropathy as you are experiencing but it would not hurt to try. (Your body can't get too much of the B12, whatever is not used is excreted.)

Hang in there bud!

Karen

My doctor prescribed Lyrica which I believe is fairly new. I haven't started taking it yet since it is my busy time at work and one of the side effects is loss of concentration. However, I was told by my doctor that it works well.