Enlisting in Clinical Trial

fight

Hello All,

I apologize that I have not posted in quite awhile. I have been having some rough days. I had a recent visit to my doctor on Dec. 28th and alas the fluid is back on my right lung. A bit concerning since I had a thorocentesis at the end of October. All other progression looks minor. My left lung still appears to be clear. My doctor says that I'm a dilemma. My cancer is progressing but at a slow pace. He gave me a few options. Either to continue with Tarceva for 2-3 more months and then begin a new chemo. The other option is to begin a new chemo soon. He mentioned either Alimta or Docetaxel (sp?). I also asked about clinical trials. By the end of the appointment I had decided that I wanted to pursue a clinical trial. My husband and I have since been to Denver to speak with another doctor about trials available for me. I am in the running for several trials. They will let me know soon which one I will be able to try. I am now off all treatment and by the end of the month should be back in the old chemo chair. I have to be honest and say that it has been really hard to get my head back in this game. I am so tired of playing this game. Not EVER going to give up but tired of being poked and under a magnifying glass! I am really trying hard to get on board with all of this. The mental battle is sometimes the hardest. I will keep you all posted about the trial I will be in. It will likely be an established drug that has never been used in lung cancer. Hopefully it will kick this cancer to the curb. It doesn't help matters that I just haven't been feeling as good as I used to. I wake up each morning and try to experience some meaning in each day. It's hard but I do the best I can. Sorry this is long. I guess I just needed to get this off my chest. Thank you all for listening.

Take Care,

Rachel

Thank you so very much for doing this. I know how difficult a decision like this is. Than k you for being a PIONEER in lung cancer research. I send prayers and positive thoughts adn hope for nothing but the absolute best results in this trial!

Hi Rachel,

Wish the Tarceva would have worked longer for you. I'm also tired of being poked and examined and scanned. Today I told my mom they were lucky if they were going to get another CT out of me, much less a PET. I was kidding, but sometimes I wish I could just forget...

Raney

Rachel great to see your face again. So sorry for all you are going through. But you know you can vent here anytime and we will always support you.

Best of luck with the clinical trial, this just may be a breakthrough.

You said you will keep us posted and please do. Miss you around here. You are always a positive influence for so many going through this BS...

Hang strong.. you are a amazing young lady.

Maryanne

Rachel,

I take heart in your Eleanor Roosevelt quote and hope you can too. Ya just gotta FEEL that this is going to get you back on track. I so wish the track led right to total remission or NED. I am one your biggest cheerleaders, Rachel. Try to keep heart that you can continue with the right tx.

Kasey

Rachel my best wishes for you with the clinical trial. Somedays it seems to be a chore to just put the feet on the floor much less manage to put one foot in front of the other but we do because we ARE survivors. I spoke with a friend today and told her I am not ready for any more radiation, chemo or anything else. They just wear us out. You will come through this, I just know you will. Have a blessed day.

Hi Rachel,

Thank you and you go girl! I'm glad to hear that you've got a few options in the clinical trial area. I truly believe that the only we're going to change the stats on this beast is through new treaments, and the docs need us for that. In the end, if it doesn't work, what have we really lost? A couple months, maybe? But if it works ... oh if it works ... we might just get to grow old and see our children grow up.

I know what you mean about the mental fight, I am battling that demon myself right now. In two years I have never been without hope, but for a couple days this past week I fell into a pretty dark place. I am happy to say that I have since bounced back, and I'm ready to fight.

I know you are strong and a fighter, and that you too will rebound to fight again. Never stop fighting, right? As a wise person once said ..."Just keep on keepin' on"! :wink:

Now put on those boxing gloves and get ready to kick some cancer!!!!!

Tracy