strong enough for chemo!

cjolaw

My mother is a fighter. In fact, the social worker at her cancer center said she has never seen a cancer patient quite like her! My mother made it clear that she did not want to consider hospice yet. (this is her fourth line treatment) Anyway, after an almost 4 week decline (no chemo) her blood tests were good enough to do another round of chemo! She's forging ahead, weak, but DETERMINED! Her spirit rejuvinates me. I am so glad to see the fire in her belly again. Hopefully there will be no hospital stays like the last chemo infusion...say a prayer that her stats, blood levels, etc remain at a normal level :)

Thanks for listening.

Carrie

Carrie,

That's great news about your mom! My mom and I were at the hospital today (just a 3 wk check up after completion of treatment) and someone my mom was talking with in the waiting room said he could tell she was a 'scrapper'!! Sounds like your mom is too. Keep fighting! Sending prayers for you both -

Nicole

Carrie and Nicole: Recent posts about your moms are inspiring to me. I'm one of those moms people always pointed to as having an indomintable spirit but the last couple of days, I felt I lost it. I went to bed early last night (so of course up at four am) further depressed that my inlaws are insisting on coming for an inpromptu visit in between chemos. It's hard to schedule company between infusions when the recovery isn't going so well but they are very pushy and my husband never has been able to stand up to them. They won't be staying with us but nearby and I have to stand my ground that I'm not responsible for entertaining my sisters-in-laws. When I feel like socializing, I will and when I don't, I'll lay on the couch.

This morning I decided I would put my appointments and visits from out-of-towners (best friend coming later in March are so welcome as the visit has been planned for months) on my laptop calendar. I had tried to read the schedule from my doctor once before but my brain was not ready to process. Surprise, surprise!!! It looks like my March 11 chemo has not been scheduled. I thought it would be an Avastin maintenance. I'll do the cocktail Feb 19, skip the March 11 in favor of the late March CT/PET and then a visit to Dr Tseng for the results on April 1. I'm almost afraid to wish. Maybe the improvement of Jan 8, if continued, may suspend the treatments for awhile. I just don't know and am not ready to ask yet. The PA I spoke to about treatment the day of my dx responded to my "are we looking at years here?" with a "maybe, but maybe they'll just go in a zap it and then she'll just follow you. Again, I'm not sure they are sure what triggered my single infusion and I'm going back on line to research the likelihood the pneumonia or falls did and perhaps the cancer is earlier stage than the infusion suggested. I'm also going to ask for radiology reports done at MDACC so I can compare the CT/PET in particular with the previous one that said "low level malignancy." I needed to fuel my optomism again and going over the schedule did the trick.

Judy in Key West

Well, mom's excitement at starting chemo was short lived AGAIN. We knew that she had significant bone mets... enough to slightly fracture her arm. Well, the bone in her upper arm is now completely broken-in half. She will need to have surgery to scrape out the tumors, do a bone graft and then insert a steel rod.

A new prayer request... that her body can fight off any infection and that she will heal perfectly so she'll be able to use her right arm again!!!!

Thanks,

Carrie

Carrie: It's very early in the morning and I've gotten off my pity pot to wish your mom and all "scrapper" moms see the tides turn and gently carry them back to a more comfortable place. Broken bones are really painful. Hope they are helping your mom out with the pain.

Judy in Key West

Sorry to hear the latest on your mom, Carrie. I surely hope al the tumor can be scraped away and that she won't suffer lingering side effects from it all.

Might I suggest that you fill out a Profile like we all have listed beneath our names. Each time I read a post it takes a long time to go back and figure out what each person's story is if they haven't listed it. Just click on My Profile in the purple section at the top of this page and follow the directions. You may receive more and better responses that way.

Good luck to mom.

Kasey