Hate My Hair

ursol

I just felt like sharing about this. My hair grew back curly and I hate it. If I blow dry it it looks poofy like my MIL's. If I leave it wet I look like betty boop or at least that is what my husband's nephew said.

Anyhow ugly hair is better than dead but I still hate it.

Lilly

LOL Lilly!! I hate mine too!! I lost most of mine either from the radiation or tarceva or a combo of the two - so I had it cut down to almost a buzz. It has grown back very very wirery. It sticks straight up like Kramers on Seinfeld!! The nursery school kids never fail to comment on it! I can't use any product because then I get sores from the Tarceva - On top of that the Tarceva has made my eyelashes freakishly long and curly - I am quite a sight! But as you said - better than the options!!

Lilly,

My hair has always been curly. I'll bet that the biggest issue you have is that you are treating your now curly hair the way you treated your straighter hair previously...that's a no-no.

Get some curl serum/relaxer and only blow-dry your hair 90%. The drier it is, the frizzier it is.

I have Iressa eyelashes - I lost quite a few of them while on the medication. Some have grown back "normal" others grow straight and into my eye and are really thick - like brush bristles. I WISH they were long and curly like a movie starlet in the 50's... :wink:

I'll bet once you learn how to manage it, you won't hate it quite so bad - many people pay good money for curls, after all. 8)

Take care, and hang in there,

Becky

Well, Lilly, I truly am sorry. I have ALWAYS had shi%&y hair. I was even sort of excited when I lost it all......hoping it may come back better! NOPE! It resembles an SOS pad that has been pulled apart. It really does. I keep hair product companies in business. There are products to help, but Snowflake is right. You gotta deal with it differently than 'good' hair. My friends just don't get it ~ but then again ~ they have GREAT hair. Rain and humidity can bring me to my knees is despair. And don't EVEN ask me to go swimming :roll: .

Maybe the more you work with it, the better you will get at it. And again......I GET it and am sorry. Ya'd think at least we could have decent hair ~ got enough crap to deal with without that!

Kasey

Lily,

Snowflake and Kasey are right. You do have to manage curly hair differently than straight hair, and products are key.

I would also recommend seeking out a stylist who has a lot of experience with curly hair. i've had extremely curly hair all my life and some of the world's worst haircuts, but now I have a stylist who works wonders with my hair and has taught me a lot about it too.

The right products are important and also either air drying or sitting under a dryer are better than a blow dryer.

Use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, and a good smoothing serum or gel. That will make a huge difference.

Good luck,

Cindy

Lily-

I was so excited when my hair grew back - only to find a brillo pad sitting on top of my head. Now - it would be one thing if it was ALL a brillo pad - but no, its in pieces parts!! My bangs are fried, and only PARTS of my sides are curly!! The back of it, which I never see, is the only decent part on my head!

Whenever I go to the hairdresser, she just looks at my hair and says "I'm sorry!!"

Heres to better hair days for all of us!!

Patti B.

Well I am with you on this one Lilly. I hated being bald and now that it is starting to grow back I hate that to. But you are right...better than the alternative. The fuzz I am getting right now is NOT the same color as my old hair...and I fear will be quite a poof ball as well. Oh well, will need to find a crazy hairdresser to help me along with it. I have heard though in time (like a few years) that it does eventually go back to the way it was. God willing!

My mom only lost half her hair, she never needed a wig, but when hair started growing back, she looked like a poodle when it was wet. We called it a "chemo perm". It took about a year, but it finally went back to how she had it before.

I am not good at hair, I always have to have mine blown out before events, so no hair advice to offer. Just wa nted to share that my mom's eventually went back to normal.

My hair is slowly growing back (except what we call the skunk stripe down the center of my head due to whole brain radiation), but so far it is looking like a similar color to what I had, but definitely coarser than before. I do see some hair coming in on the "skunk stripe," and I hope it catches up with the rest soon - or I am going to even more strange than I normally do!

Oh and Janet - my eyelashes have come back insanely long as well!!!!!!!! They are constantly getting into my eyes and hit my glasses when I am weating them. So many people tell me that I should get them trimmed or something, but I think it would be neat to see how long they get - maybe I could break a record or something :lol::lol::lol:

Hey Lilly, my hair came back a little curly too at first for about the first 6 months or so, then it went back to being staright as a board.

When it was curly, I would just wash it, gel it, and go! We get to the point when our hair comes back that we don't want to have to wear those dreaded wigs anymore! :roll:

I'll bet you LOOK BEAUTIFUL not to mention people know your BIG HUGE, KIND, CARING, WONDERFUL, HEART is what counts here. :wink: That and the fact that your UPRIGHT!!! LOL! :lol::wink:

Hang in there, it'll get better. (or not)! :roll::?:wink:

Love Ya,

Con

Dear Lilly, my hair came back curly too, was straight before...but think is only hair....the importan thing is that we are alive. I look myself at the mirrow & I see another person, but I am here.

Take care of yourself. Yu are pretty anyways

hugs bucky

My hair is like Colleen's. Reverse mohawk... It amuses my kids and family, so whatever, I guess. It is Brillo pad like in some spots and I have 1 thick spot in the back that's shaped like a heart. Maybe the other mom's at school think I'm making some kind of a statement... I live in Arizona and it's going to be getting hot, plus the Sorafenib makes my head itchy, so I've been going hatless too.

Raney - I have the same spot in the back of my head too!!! JB was calling it the "hitler patch" because for awhile it was about the only hair I had and he said that if we drew eyes & a nose above it, my head would like Hitler's face... :roll:

I need to hear this today. I have been depressed today about my hair. I know I'm alive but I saw an old picture with my long hair and I started to cry. I have never done that before. Between Colleen and Rainy sounds just like me. My top has hardly any hair and the sides are very thin and the back spot is thick we call it Howie Mandel. haha I hate that we all have to deal with this but I needed to hear this today. My lashes and brows still are not growing good. I like my hair when it came after Chemo it was thick like it use to just a different color.

Maybe you want to try for the Donald Trump (comb over look)! (just joking and trying HARD to make you laugh and smile).

Oh Heather, I have no doubt your a very pretty young woman. But I do remember when my hair was gone and how sad I felt now and then about not having it. Now I'm just grateful to breathe and don't care too much about my hair anymore. But, that's just me!

Kind of reminds me of when I see these really cute and skinny young gals, I think to myself, WOW, I use to look like that!! :roll::wink: I told a couple of waitresses that down in Vegas that I use to have a body like them and you should of seen the LOOK on there faces! It was priceless! When I did that, I had just completed my chemo and radiation treatments about 5 weeks before. Not one of by better LOOKING MOMENTS!!! :lol::wink: And Oh yes, I had a wig on that LOOKED like I had a wig on too! OY VEY!

Sending you warm and happy cheer you up hugs ((((Heather))))

Hey ladies. I was inspired by a lady in the chemo room today...boy you meet the nicest people in there. Her hair was just coming back but it was the nicest color. Well she promptly informed me that she had died it! I never even thought of that...haven't done that since my crazy early adult years. My hair is coming back salt and pepperish and I am WAY too young for that. So hey I think I might just go to the drugstore and pick a nice color. Hopefully I don't make too big of a mess applying it. Wish me luck.

Thanks for the advice on the curly hair. My daughter who has a room full of hair products has been helping me style it. Others tell me that it looks good and I look younger but I think the bottom line is that like Heather I still want to see myself as the person I used to be. After 40 years of long hair I cannot seem to want to accept a short haired version of myself. When I was young I permed my straight hair but it was long curly hair as opposed to the short version. ((((Heather)))))Big hugs to you as I totally understand how you feel. The good news is that our children will always think we are beautiful no matter how our hair looks.

Lilly

This is truly great timing for such a discussion. While I was wearing my 'great' looking wig.....and I mean that (in fact my first avatar showed it), Fred and I started playing cards with a bunch of folks. The very r first thing this one woman (unknown to us at this time) said to me how much she liked my hair, where did I I get it cut, what color was it, etc., etc. Well, last night we played cards and the same gal reminded me how much 'better' she liked that wig than my own hair :evil: . well, I liked it better too, but didn't really need her to remind me I now have crappy hair.

But girls, we are all beautiful, we are all strong, we all have more heart than even those beauties in the TV hair commercials. We are women of 'grit' with 'interesting' locks and all. God bless us!

Kasey

I did not lose all of my hair, only the "male pattern baldness" areas trimmed down by 70%. At the time, it was shoulder length and curly by nature. Prior to all this cancer crap, I had light blonde hair - I lost it in stages. First the lightest color of blonde fell out - the platinum. Then, the golden blonde, the honey followed and I was left with every mousy shade imaginable. Scraggly, mousy hair...

My mother is a cosmetologist. Like when I was pregnant, she told me to avoid hair chemicals and not damage what was starting new. I didn't color my hair for a full year after it started to re-grow. I only highlight now, blonde is too hard to keep up with when the darker mousy colors grow so fast...

My suggestion is to play it safe with your new hair and understand that the chemistry of the skin on your noggin leaves it tender. You could end up with a chemical burn on your head - and I speak from experience, that is NO FUN. Be kind to your head - a smooth bald head holds its own beauty, a bald head with chunks of skin pealing off is not so pretty.