Hank likes morphine.

Hi everybody,

Hank is still in the hospital. They are still giving him all sorts of antibiotics, breathing exercises, and have added a small dose of morphine to the mix. Hank was not in any significant pain, but apparently morphine relaxes the chest muscles and makes it marginally easier to to breath, it also has had a positive effect on his state of mind and outlook. :)

To bad I can't have any! :) Saw the pulmonologist today and questioned when we might be able to get him home. The answer is possibly by the end of this week. I have also put in a call to his oncologist today to find out what he feels the plan should be. Have not heard from him yet, but I am fully expecting that he will recommend hospice, and I hope will want to continue the Alimta.

I think that Hank is now accepting the idea that he will probably not be around for much longer. He is still hoping that once he gets home he will improve. I am also hoping that will be the case, but in all honesty I have little confidence that will happen. I just want him to come home and be comfortable, and if he gets any better, well, that will be great.

Who knows, I guess anything can happen. After all, we never expected that great day not so long ago when he woke up not needing oxygen and we escaped to Atlantic City.

Hank has two sisters who are quite have a lot of faith in God. I don't know how ready they are for what might be about to happen. I think that they really are not looking at this realistically, and I hope they're not in for to much of a shock when they find that God (if he/she/it) even exists apparently has not been paying attention to their prayers.

Don't get me wrong. Who am I to say that there is or is'nt a God. I don't begrudge anyone their faith. If it gets you through, then that's fine. If it comforts them, that's great. I just hope they're ready.

Well, that's all for now.

Wishing you all the best,

Gail

Hi Gail,

I do hope that you are able to get Hank home with you. I know that not everyone who has LC is the same, but in my Dad's case, he "improved" for a few days after being put on hospice and we had some good days with him before he passed. I do truly hope that this happens for you.

Take care Gail. I am thinking about you,

Shelli

Gail, our docs say the same thing about morphine helping with the breathing. Larry doesn't like it, but I sure did when I had my hysterectomy. I loved pushing the little "happy button". :shock:

I also have a lot of faith in God. But God tends to answer prayer in unanticipated ways. When my dad passed, I was praying for mercy. Well, my dad received mercy. He did not suffer for very long. But I was thinking of something more like healing. It took me awhile to remember that my dad did get healing. He went to Heaven. There's no cancer there.

Gail, you and Hank are in my prayers daily. Somehow, I think you and I are on a similar path with our husbands. I ache for Hank as I ache for Larry. I ache for you as I ache for myself. Somehow, I know we'll get through this, no matter the outcome.

Love you, Lady!

Lynn

Gail

I justed wanted to let you know that I have been thinking and praying about you and Hank daily. Every good day, every good moment is a gift. Whether we have cancer or not.

Don't worry about Hanks sisters - if they have faith in God they know, as Lynn said, He doesn't always answer our prayers the way we planned.

You just worry about Hank and yourself - I pray that you have many more good moments.

Peace, Janet

Gail - I am glad that the morphine worked at relaxing his chest muscles so that he can breathe better. Having difficulty breathing is no fun at all :( . I think if you help yourself they might notice if the morphine missing...just run fast!!! :)

I sure hope that Hank can get out of that hospital and get home where he will be so much more comfortable. I'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed for that.

Anything can happen with this disease - he certainly could rebound and have more quality time that you think.

I too, have faith in God, but I certainly am not of the belief that if I ask for it I will get it. Otherwise, we would all be praying and no one would be dying ... ever! Hopefully Hank's sisters will use their faith to help them deal with what is to come. As to whether there is or isn't a God - who the heck knows. I may be surprised at the end of the day. God or no God, I live my life with honesty, respect and love - that is to my benefit.

Take care Gail and keep us posted as to when he "breaks out".

Linda

Hi Gail,

I am sorry that Hank is not doing well. :( My dad was on morphine and it created a lot of problems for him. It was soo bad that we had to switch pain medications. I hope that doesn't happen to Hank.

Faith is one of the things that is getting me thru this journey. I pray a lot. I am also very realistic about the situation. I am scared as hell at the prospect of losing both of my parents to lung cancer.

Kristi

Nothing wrong with a little morphine now and again if you can handle it I say.

I'm glad it is giving him a little bit of relief. I'm still hoping that he can get home and be more comfortable in his own space. There's no place like home.

Many positive thought's and prayers to you both.

Denise

Hi Gail. Thanks for the update. I am glad the morphine is helping and that getting him home is looking promising. Those not as close to this thing find it more difficult to digest what is really going on. And it is hard for us to communicate it to them. That's just the way it is. Sounds like you are staying as positive as you can and are still ready to keep fighting. There is always hope, and whatever our faith, we can all hang on to that. Take good care

Sandra

Hi, Gail.

Glad Hank is feeling better. Morphine (actually Roxonol) helped me last week when my radiation pneumonitis was at its worst. If they're counting his morphine, feel free to take a quick trip to Boulder as I have plenty to spare. :D

I hope that the plan comes together for Hospice and Alimta, and that you get more days like Atlantic City (even if they're "memory days" at home instead of out and about).

As to faith, we all have our own definitions of faith and our own levels of spirituality. Like you, I am more of the "if she exists" school of thought (along with que sera, sera), but I am also helped by the realization that so many are comforted by their faith (certainly better than being comforted by the bottle!).

In the meantime, Gail, please know that my thoughts and best wishes are with you and Hank; and consider yourself fiercely hugged from out here in Boulder, Colorado.

Affectionately,

Carole

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.--the late, great, George Carlin

Thank you all for your replies and kind good wishes.

I showed up at the hospital today. Was not going to go today but I thought I'd surprise Hank with a couple of hot dogs from the Windmill (Jersey's finest hot dogs!) He enjoyed the unexpected visit and surprise. Got him up and walking today, with oxygen of course, he did pretty well actually, considering he has not walked anywhere in nearly 3 weeks. As to when his release from the hospital will be, it is still not known for sure, but it may possibly be by the end of this week. It's so odd.... I want him to come home so much, but I'm scared. I hope that I can handle whatever may come when he gets here. I will surely arrange for help here at home, and that will hopefully be a relief and will be reassuring for both of us, but, I am scared.

Thanx guys,

Gail

Gail, it sure sounds like Hank is doing pretty well! I can't imagine being in the hospital and having much muscle strength to walk! So often, people need physical therapy before they can get up and around! Says a lot for your dear Hank's stamina!

Try not to fear the "homecoming" too much. You WILL be able to do whatever you need to...you just will.

hugs,

Karen

Suzie Q is right. When we brought Larry home from the hospital back in January, I was terrified! But it really is amazing how we caretakers can adjust so quickly. Each time you learn a new skill, it will be, "Oh, OK, I can do that." And you will be able to do that. Know that we are all here for you if you need to vent or ask for some helpful hints to get through the day. We all love you, girl!!

Lynn

Hi, Gail.

I'm so glad Hank was able to get up and about today (not to mention those scrumptious-sounding hot dogs!).

I, too, would be scared, but there's also not a doubt in my mind that you'll be able to handle whatever comes your way, Gail, as you already have been doing, and so well.

You're one special person, Gail, and Hank's one lucky guy... That is so true of so many of you family member caregivers here. My heart just spills over with the love that I feel for you all, which is the same kind of love that you all give so unstintingly to your own, to each other and to all of us.

It almost makes it worth it having to go through all this just to have been able to meet you all.

Humbly and affectionately,

Carole

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.--the late, great George Carlin