Introducing myself

gthappen

Hi Everyone!

I am so grateful to find this community.

My name is Kathy and I am 53 and married to the man of my dreams for almost 8 years.

I am having a CT-assisted needle biopsy done on Wed., July 23rd at UNC in Chapel Hill, NC. My husband and I are in a bit of a "holding pattern" right now as 3 different doctors have told us that my hilar mass is in the bottom right lobe--the upper right lobe---and lastly, the middle right lobe.

I'm just thankful they're all in agreement about which lung it's in:)

I think I've been in a bit of denial since hearing the news from a pulm. dr. on July 3rd.

I have RA and my rheumatologist ordered an Xray because I was coughing a lot.

The xray led to a CT scan and referral to a pulm. dr.

Then a bronoscopy for bushings & washings--then a PET scan.

Next step---referred to a local surgeon for a needle biopsy who in turn referred me to a surgeon at UNC. The local doctor didn't want to do the biopsy because it was "too close to the pulmonary artery."

All a bit confusing.

Anyhow, I am a optimist as well as a realist and have always been very proactive regarding my RA treatment.

Once we have a definite diagnosis and know which treatment path to follow, I know that things will be moving fast and my life will be different. That scares me. I am content in the land of "not really knowing" for now.

I need this group and the hands of friendship and support it may offer me.

I also hope to be a source of encouragement to others.

Thank you for being here!

Welcome Kathy. Many of us here have been in the exact same spot as you are finding yourself. And we are all here to support you. I had a CT guided needle biopsy as well. That was almost 4 years ago!!!!! There's lots of hope and help to be found here.

I'm sure all of us sure wish you didnt have the need to be here, but we're glad you found us to offer whtever we can to help you through. It's going to be some ride ~ not the one you've always dreamed of, but quite a ride just the same. Keep us all posted. And come often.

Kasey

Hi, Kathy, welcome to the group! Looks like you're well on your way to getting a definitive diagnosis so you can take action against this thing, whatever it is. We'll be looking for your update on the 23rd or shortly thereafter. Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Welcome, Kathy.

My gosh, you're a ways from UNC! I hope the needle biopsy goes ok and that they can determine what kind of lung cancer you have. I like your sense of humor ("at least they agree on which lung it is"). That helps a lot with cancer. I assume that the PET only lit up on the one lung. That's a good sign, too. A lot of people here with early stage (SCLC or NSCLC) have good results with chemo, surgery, etc. Some in later stages also do. I hope we can be of some help and support to you.

Please let us know the results of the biopsy after you get home.

Muriel

Actually UNC has I believe 11 campuses through out our great state. The main and best facility is in Chapel Hill which is where I believe is the one where procedure is being done and they have an excellent cancer facility. Duke is right down the street proverbally also and they are among several pioneers in cancer research.

I am in Greensboro NC so this is how I know these things!! Welcome to the best place to be for support and research and knowledge and Prayers and compassion as well!!!!!

HI Kathy-

Welcome to the club that noone wanted to join but are all glad that we found each other. This site is full or really great people with lots of information and support.

Wishing you good luck on the 23th and please keep us posted!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Hello Kathy,

I am so glad you found this group. This is the warmest place ever! You will find that any questions you ask will be answered and more.

Please keep us updated, and let us know how you are doing.

Your comment that the doctors agreed on which lung was an indication that humor is still there. Trust me, even though this is a roller coaster ride, there will be those times when humor can bolster like nothing else can.

Sending a great big welcome to you, Kathy,

Barbara

Hi Kathy,

I'm sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us. This is a very supportive community full of people who do not hesititate to share their experiences and offer their love.

I am from Wilmington although I live in Alabama now. My mom still lives in Wilmington and I was just there for the 4th of July week. I sent you a pm.

Let us know how your tests at UNC go. I'll be thinking about you on Wednesday!

Susan

Well you have found the right group Kathy and many many hands of friendship...not to mention lots of good information. The unknown stage is scary...and you will feel better once you know the treatment plan. Take good care and hang in there until then...sometimes waiting for that plan can be extremely frustrating.

Sandra

Hi there Kathy,

We are all behind you with oodles of support, love and understanding.

The initial 'waiting game' may be of great worry but stay positive and remember we are all here for you. It is super that your doctor's plan is now is effect and you are on your way to supporting your 'survivor-ship' with all our strength with you.

So glad you found us. Please keep in touch and don't forget that private messaging is always welcomed by any of us if needed.

Take care. :):):)

I meant to post this here, not as a new topic. I will learn:)

Thank you all so much for rallying around me. I can only know that each one of you knows first-hand how warm and nurturing it is when you can feels the hugs of others.

(((LUNGevity)))

A rep called from UNC Dr.'s office to tell me that a brain MRI would be scheduled for that day. I'll take a CD of the MRI with me to the Dr's appt. on Tuesday. Seeing my Dr. at 10:30 and meeting the oncologist at 1:30.

I have SCLC and will know on Tues. if it's extensive or limited.

The needle biopsy went well but I was out of it the entire next day. Terrible gas to cause terrible pain. It's over today, though and I feel myself again.

I have been doing a LOT of reading on this site. What a true blessing all of you are!

Yesterday Todd and I cried. We let it out and resolved to FIGHT.

I am ready. Scared, but READY:)

Deep Breath------I'm READY.

Lots of Smiles and Hugs,

Kathy

Kathy, That's all you can do, put on your game face scared or not and dive in. Treatment for most isn't a walk in the part but often not as bad as expected. That was the case with me.

Good luck and come back for empathy, a laugh or a hug whenever you need it. I tend to rely heavily on humor to get by and these people just make me laugh.

Judy in Key West

Good Morning Everyone!

Well, the treatment plan is in place.

I start Monday, Aug. 4th,2008 and will stay in Chapel Hill for 3 weeks for the first round.

I'll get chemo M-T-W every 21 days for about 2-1/2 months, and radiation twice a day, 5 days a week for 3 weeks. (Chemo drugs are Cispletin & Etoposaid)

mmmmmmmmmm....all the reading material sounds scarey, but I am committed.

NOW----THE GOOD NEWS: The radiation onc told me that I "got the gold ticket"---my SCLC is LIMITED!!!

Todd and I need your prayers...some days seem so fragile, others are pure celebrations.

Many, Many Thanks and Blessings to all of you---you are all a source of information, comfort and kindness to me and my family.

I will be in touch when I can:)

(((((((((LUNGevity)))))))))))

Kathy