Does It Never End???

Patti B

Well, friends, I have been having problems lately but haven't shared them since I just got done whining to you all about my two bad scans that came in a six week period of time. But I have been having problems with my right hip for quite a while. Now, I have known all along that I have a met there, and I also have had some episodes of sciatic nerve problems in the leg/hip. So when it started to bother me, I sure was hoping it was the sciatic nerve.

My jack-@ss onc, when I went to see him three weeks ago, I told him that per his suggestion, I had gone to see my private doc (he thought it was my sciatic nerve) and she had prescribed me anti-inflammatory drugs and muscle relaxants which really did no good. She did NOT want to start me on PT until I got the report of my abdominal scan three weeks ago to see if the met showed or not. Dr. M. was adamant that I NOT start PT until after I got a bone scan. So when the appt was over, as he was walking out the door, he said "we will do the bone scan in 6 weeks". 6 weeks?????? Well, he disappeared into one of the other rooms and that was that. Over this past weekend, it has become so terribly painful that I am like an invalid. The pain is really bad, I can't sleep at night, can't lay down, can't really do anything. I didn't need a costume today, I was walking down the hall like Igor dragging my right leg behind me. Anyway, Monday I called my PA and she got me in to have a bone scan this past Wednesday.

So I met with the PA today and was supposed to have chemo. Dr. M. was not there but she had consulted with him on the phone. They cancelled my chemo for today and sent me to see the radiation oncologist. His thinking is not to do both at the same time and he really isn't sure if he wants to keep me on the Tarceva/Avastin doublet. So I am to come off Tarceva (since we already knew it didn't work alone) and after my radiation is over, he will either re-start me on that or most likely start me on Navalbine.

I am all marked and tattooed and will start radiation on Monday and have it daily through Friday. He seems to think this is going to be a relatively easy fix, he said that believe it or not, the more pain a met causes, the better radiation works on it. Guess its those little pesky ones that cause the problems.

So hope I didn't whine too much but thought I would catch you all up on the soap opera I call my life!!!!

Happy Halloween to all of you- Patti B.

((((Patti))))

You know I am here if you need me. I am so sorry about this latest issue but let's stay positive that the radiation will kick the met and then we can concentrate on the chemo regime again.

As frustrating as it is right now, it is just another speed bump that you have to overcome and you KNOW that we are all here to help you through it in whatever way we can.

Lean on us and we will help you carry that leg sweetie!!!

Love and hugs

Chris

Hey Patti. So sorry about all that. The radiation will definitely help with the pain although it will probably get worse before it gets better. That was my experience with spine mets and radiation. They don't like to do other things (drugs/chemo) at the same time as radiation as it can have an ill effect on the successfulness of either. So get through that radiation my friend. It really is quite a breeze compared to chemo. And then onwards and upwards to the next plan. Nope, it never seems to end. Take care and have a good weekend.

Sandra

{{{{{Patti}}}}} I am so sorry to read this. You are so entitled to a good long whine, you are always so upbeat and fun, we are here for you. I can't believe your doctore said 6 weeks, how tempting to just follow him into that room and say, "I don't think so Doc". You took care of it yourself tho, good going.

Barb

Patti, we are all thinking about you and saying extra prayers that the radiation will work quickly. If there is a positive, the fact they are saying it's an easy fix sounds good. You're a great person who is always here for everyone else and we are all here for you now. Take care.

Whine away, Patti, and I will join in the chorus. So sorry that there DOES always seem to be something :? . Glad all of us here know that we gotta be our own best advocate to get things done. Hopefullly by this time next week you will be feeling like a new woman ~ or at least only slightly used as opposed to all used up! And don't you dare hold back with whines, compaints, whatever. It does us ALL good to join with you and vent ourselves. I'll be waiting to hear that pesky hip is better next week.

Kasey

(((((Patti)))))

I agree with Kasey, whine away! That's what we're here for. You have to talk to someone and we're here ready to listen. I'm so sorry about this whole mess. You could be a couple weeks into the radiation if you're doctor had been paying attention to you.

At least something is being done about it now. I hope radiation helps it really fast.

Sending good vibes and all that stuff.

Muriel

Patti,

I was speechless when I read this post. I'm still struggling to find words--I'm sorry feels so little. Please know I am sending all the positive energy I can muster your way. Keep us posted, whine away and let your family here wrap its virtual arms around you. Feel better soon. Hope they gave you some strong stuff to help you sleep. Pain levels can respond positively to a good night's sleep.

Judy in Key West

(((((Patti))))

I am sending postive thoughts that the radiation knocks out the pain quickly! I need you to know what an inspiration you are to me! I know this is just a speed bump on this road we are on. And I can tell you will jump that bump do a flip and land right on your feet!

I am sending prayers your way!

Dana

((((((((Patti)))))))

Oh Patti - you have always listened to all of our problems and been there for us with kind, compassionate, cheerful words of encouragement. You listened to my whining while you were going through this alone. Please always let us be there for you so we can return some of your kindness.

Now go in that radiation room and kick that pain's butt! And then go kick that Dr.s!

I am praying for you girl -

peace - Janet

Hi Patti.

As you can tell from my bio, I'm not very much in favor of lung cancer treatment -- BUT I did do radiation to my lower back and pelvis and it worked like a charm! The pain from the lower back met subsided halfway thru the treatments (14 was the total number) but the pelvis/hip pain didn't go away till maybe a week or so after the last treatment -- but go away it did! So hang in there. We're all rooting for you. Btw, before the pain was alleviated, I found massive doses of ibuprofen to be the most effective at controlling it, like 800 mg up to 4 times a day (along with famotidine so it doesn't burn a hole in your stomach). Everyone is different but ya never know. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Ellen in PA