When it rains....update

it pours, So the saying goes.

First Tom gets sick and then laid off. Then Viv gets pregnant and then laid off. Now I am not terminally sick or pregnant or laid off but I have received a garnishment for 15% of my pay. I am the only one working right now and this just sucks. There is just nothing left to take of me or from me. There is nothing left of the life I once knew.

Welcome to my new normal.

Denise

Well, my fellow turnip, seems they ARE getting blood out of us...

I'm still on payroll, then I have a 100% garnishment...thankfully, the spouse will have a pension to draw so we can choose between eating and keeping warm. Maybe we'll burn the furniture and eat the dogs...R-I-I-I-G-G-G-H-H-H-T-T-T...

Can't Tom draw a pension? SS? SOMETHING? Maybe you could file for disability, with all the issues he's been having lately? Viv eligible for unemployment? You could sell your body - I'd suggest you start with a kidney... :wink:

Hang in there, I've heard someone is sending a boat...oh crap, I can see the name on the bow, it's the freakin' Titanic!

Thanks everybody.

Tom does get social security. That along with an extra $50 pays just the 2 mortgages and all else is on me. Vivienne qualifies for unemployment and she just applied online on Friday so we have not heard how much she will be getting yet.

I too wondered, why the pregnant one. Why leave her with 3 months to go and no health insurance. They did offer her COBRA at $300 a month. She could also go down to the public aid office and she being pregnant qualifies for a medical card under the KidCare Mom's and Babies program. She then would have to change doctors because the office she is in now does not accept the medical card. My concern with that is that she still has the HPV that did not

go away with the cryosurgery. They are monitoring that with frequent paps. If she changes to a public aid doctor what happens with all of that?

She does have a lot of skills and she could just run out and get another job even if it was at McD's or something because she has worked in that field before. But who goes and hires a 6 month pregnant woman know that in a couple of months she will hae to take maternity leave?

All this going on and tomorrow is Tom's 1 year survival mark. So I will need to lift my mood for the day and just party.

Denise

Hi Denise,

Boy, do I know what you mean with the financials! It seems so overwhelming at times. I will keep you in my prayers for some relief soon - sometimes when we think there is no solution or we think we won't make it through GOD finds a way. I will pray he will give you what you and Tom need now. Now a days I pray for things we just need not want!!! Don't want to push it ya know with the man upstairs!!! You and Tom are in my prayers for assistance from up above!!!

Take Care

Marci

Thanks again. I guess I was just stressing at first.

We have convinced Viv that the COBRA is the way to go. With the other job she still has and the unemployment while she continues to look for another job is totally doable. Viv never has been one to sit on her butt and collect. She has worked since she was 16 and has held up to 3 jobs at once working 7 days a week since she graduated 5 years ago. It sucks that it was the full time job with the benefits that let her go but she will be fine.

Tom and I have also gone over all the particulars on us and we can get through this too on our end. It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Enough stressing over that for now.

My most immediate concern is for Tom. He still has the cough and he is able to cough stuff up but it leaves him breathless. The doctor's keep telling him that he is getting better but he doesn't feel like he is getting better. They say his lungs sound pretty clear though and that the pneumonia is gone. Thank goodness he has the oxygen at home. He is basically becoming a homebody. He will go out when we go together but not by himself. The cold air seems to be a big culprit in the cough but maybe when it gets warmer outside he may become more independent again.

I had to call him today and remind him that today marked his 5 year quad bypass survival day. I said that 5 years ago if I had not pushed him to go to the doctor he would have been gone a long time ago and would not have been able to be a 1 year LC survivor. He thought I was nuts. Men!!!

Denise

Denise, glad things are coming together for you and your family. Viv sounds like quite a gal and a daughter you can depend on. Lots of our northern friends are complaining about breathing in the cold. Here's hoping spring comes soon for all of you. Did the groundhog see his shadow? What did he predict? It's my son's and my BDay and I can never get it straight.

A big CONGRATULATIONS to Tom on his 5-year milestone.

Judy in Key West

Denise - I was thinking the same thing as Judy - What Tom needs is SPRING! All this cold air can not be helping his breathing. Unfortunately - the groundhog DID see his shadow - so spring will not be coming soon. Prayers that things all come together for your family -

Janet

Denise - I'm jumping in here kinda late cuz I have been working a lot of overtime. I feel your pain. My husband had to close his business and we're surviving on my salary right now. Had a very sick dog last week too. Glenn gets his disability starting in April, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's enough to keep us going.

I have thought about selling our house and downsizing, space and money-wise. Our younger son is in 10th grade, so I'm going to try to wait til he graduates. My job let me cash in vacation last week, though, to pay some medical bills. As a good friend of mine who survived stage IV breast cancer for six years used to say - when God closes a door, he opens a window.

Money can be such a stressor with everything else you are going through, and things really aren't fair. Of course they laid off the pregnant woman - so they wouldn't have to pay benefits!

I'm trying to maintain a sense of balance - money isn't everything. We've been having a lot of good days and the weather this weekend was awesome. Glenn was able to get outside and do some yard work, which he loves. So I'll take a sunny warm day when I get to see him smile over a fat checkbook. :)

I hope that you all get some Spring your way, it always does good things for our sprits!