First post

Hi,

I'm Paulette, 62, who smoked for 42 years. On 4/02/09 my primary doctor did a chest x-ray because I had not had one for years. He saw a suspicious spot on my upper left lung. I had a CT scan the next day which showed a large (over 4 cm) mass. The next week I had a PET scan which showed only the one spot in my lung.

On 5/01/09 I had the upper lobe of my left lung removed (VATS). I just got out of the hospital 4 days ago. No cancer was found in the lymph nodes removed during surgery but the mass was NSCLC.

I'm trying to stay positive and am now waiting to heal from surgery. But of course deep down - I'm scared.

Hi Paulette, How nice to meet you. I am sorry you had the need to find us, but am glad we're here for one another.

I remember having that same fear your dealing with now. It sounds like they caught your's very early and that's wonderful to hear.

You can read my story by clicking on the link below my name and signature.

It's great you were able to do the Vats proceedure. You'll be up and running in no time. Get Well Soon and Keep us informed.

Hi Paulette. Glad you found us. We all know how hard your Journey is right now. Believe me some of us do survive! Neither Connie or I were Stage I and we are still celebrating survival. My story is below also. Keep us posted.

Donna G

Paulette, welcome aboard but like everyone says, sorry you have to be here. So glad you have an early stage case but you've already heard from some of our long-term survivors of advanced disease. That c word is scary no matter what. Are your docs planning any follow-up chemo. Keep us posted and let us know how you are doing.

This is the place to come for info and support especially when you are scared. There is so much hope here.

Judy in Key West

Hi Paulette, nice to meet you and like everyone else sorry you have to be here. I too am an early detection lucky one, but like everyone says each case is individual and with all of the advances in treatment anymore this is definitely not the huge monster that I saw the first time it was mentioned to me. Keep us posted and keep your head up whatever you do. This is a great place for lots of great information and support. Laugh all you can, it seems to help our lungs and spirits heal.

Donny

Hi Paulette,

Welcome. Oh man do I remember how scary that was! What really got me upset was when I started looking up stats, on small cell (my dx). Whoa! Don't read the stats, we are all differant and we aren't stats! I got dx'd early too, which means we have a very good prognosis. So hang in there and keep posting!

Dana

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. My surgeon has told me he refers all his patients to an oncologist no matter what stage the cancer is (mine is T2 1b - only because of the size). I see the surgeon for after surgery follow up on June 2nd.

Hi, Paulette, welcome! I'd say you've got a smart surgeon, not the kind who strides into the room and says "I got it all, you don't need chemo." With stage Ib it's pretty much of a tossup whether chemo will improve longevity, but if I'd been Ib rather than IIIb I'd still have opted to do it. Here are two references from cancergrace.org (GRACE — Global Resource for Advancing Cancer Education). GRACE is led by Dr. Howard "Jack" West, a Seattle oncologist who is an internationally-recognized expert on lung cancer and who gives high priority to promptly answering questions online. A lot of us are "dual citizens" and have the same usernames there as here:

http://cancergrace.org/lung/2007/09/30/ ... -ib-nsclc/

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Hi Paulette and a warm welcome to the group. Yes, you are one of the lucky ones with early detection. Regardless, this thing is very scary for anyone at any stage. Take good care of yourself while you are healing. And keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra

Paulette,

I am sorry for your diagnosis, but I am so very glad that you found this forum. This is a very-well-informed community, and a source of support, comfort, and information. Since knowledge is power, you have come to the right place, IMO.

May you continue to seek out what will help in your diagnosis. Remember, be proactive in your treatments.

The best doctors are the ones who realize that they are not God, but partners in the healing process.

That is so very important in all of this. Having something in place to "turn things in a better direction," (treatments and the like) is a way to lessen being scared.

Having doctors who care about you means a great deal. It has been a noble profession. With the right doctor, you can depend on being a beneficiary of various treatments and a lot of patience.

We are, Bill and I, and it has made all the difference in the world - honesty, caring, and being partners with our doctors and nurses in our own survival.

Most of the time, things can go in a good direction, but we need to "hold on tight to hope."

Live Strong,

Barbara

Paulette--Welcome!

It is excellent that they were able to remove your cancer through surgery. Seeing an oncologist is an excellent move. You have an excellent chance for recovery. Don't be afraid to ask questions and be proactive in your treatment choices.

Susan

Hi Paulette-

Welcome!!! So glad you found us.

I am happy that your cancer was detected early!!! Sounds real good!! And of course you are scared, you wouldn't be human if you weren't. But ask your doc lots of questions, write everything down and keep a good attitude through all this.

Please keep us updated as to how you are doing.

Hugs - Patti B.

Hi Paulette and Welcome,

Just wanted to let you know that I was diagnosed stage 3A. I had chemo and radiation before surgery, then surgery, the adjuvant chemo. My scans have been clear since. You can read my signature below.

Wishing you the best.

Carol