Hello to Everyone from Richmond, VA

Annette

I stumbled across this site some time after my diagnoses May 7th I believe.

I had a cough and my PA recommended an xray. The tech say a spot and recommended a CT. The CT showed abnormalities and I was sent to a pulmonologist who set up a PET Scan. The pulmonologist set up appointments with an oncologist and then called and set me up with a surgeon. The surgeon appointment turned into a Hospital Board which was good and bad. Obviously in all of this I was scared to death but each step so far has been the best of the worst - so to speak.

The Cancer Board Thoracic Surgeon recommended surgery on a spot on my middle lobe of my right lung. So June 15 the middle lobe was removed via VATS and 4 days later the surgeon told me the pathology was clear in the nodes - yeah.

I have had a follow up with the surgeon who says this side looks good and we are waiting a bit to aggressively attack a spot on the left lung that is small at this point and they aren't positive it's cancer yet. I have an appointment with the oncologist on July 7 and will find out if she is recommending chemo/radiation following the right lung surgery and when/what she thinks is the best approach on the left side.

So I am still waiting and watching and worrying. This is a wonderful and sad site but I am so glad to see people actually surviving that hope is just a great thing for me at this point.

Annette

Welcome Annette-

Glad you found us!!!! Hope you are feeling well after your surgery.

Hope they find out that the left side is NOT cancer but even if it is, it seems like this may be early stage.

I want you to know there are many here who are long term survivors. DO NOT listen to statistics!!!! There is hope following a LC diagnosis and obviously the sooner it is found the better.

Come here with any questions you may have, or if you just need to vent. We have all been there, done that!!!

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hugs - Patti B.

Annette - Welcome. There are many tough survivors on this site. I definately look at ALL them as my heros. My mom is also one of those heros. I hope all goes well and that little spot is NOT cancer. But anyhow sounds like your doing pretty good. Welcome aboard!

Welcome Annette! You certainly appear to be heading the right direction with dx, tx, and followup. It also sounds good that you are plannning an aggressive attack on 'whatever' else is there. Whatever we can do to optimize our results is always a good thing. I really feel quite a positive spin to your story and hope it continues in this same direction. Glad you found us and make sure you stop by with questions, concerns, updates and support for others.

Kasey

Hi, Annette, welcome to the group. Congratulations on a successful VATS. As you prepare to hear what recommendations your oncologist may have on July 7, may I suggest that you visit cancergrace.org (GRACE — Global Resource for Advancing Cancer Education). GRACE is led by Dr. Howard "Jack" West, a Seattle oncologist who is an internationally-recognized expert on lung cancer and who gives high priority to promptly answering questions online. A lot of us are "dual citizens" and have the same usernames there as here.

Although the oncologists who participate at GRACE can't make specific suggestions to someone who is not their patient, they have a knack for laying out the vaious options in a way that will help you arrive at a sound decision. It's like getting a second opinion in advance, and it's free! If you know the specific type of cancer that was found in your right lung (small cell or one of the non-small cell types such as adenocarcinoma or squamous), be sure to include that in your question as well as any other details you may have. Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Welcome Annette!

I hope you start feeling good pretty soon. It takes a long time to recover from lung surgery. I found making comparisons with how I felt 4 - 5 days ago better than comparing today to yesterday. You will feel good soon, tho.

On June 26th Six years ago I was diagnosed with stage IB NSCLC (URL), had surgery, and just not wanting to take any chances, had 4 rounds of chemo (Taxol and Carboplatin).

Eighteen months after that a CT scan found smaller tumor in my ULL. Again, I had surgery and 4 rounds of chemo (cisplatin and Gemzar). That was four and 3/4s years ago.

Since then I've had numerous CTs and PET scans. Occasionally, a CT scan shows something that worries a radiologist and I have a PET scan to be sure it's not something to worry about.

I hope that the small spot in your other lung is nothing at all. But even if it is, there is lots and lots of hope for you. The early days/months of a cancer diagnosis are very, very difficult. Be brave :D

Muriel

Annette - welcome. Wow, alot has taken place in a short period of time for you - I know how that feels. I am happy that you were able to have VATS as you will recover quicker from that surgery than the more invasive thoracotomy. Know that I will be praying that the spot on the other side is nothing. The waiting is the worst and I empathize with you on that! Please keep as posted and we are here when you need us.

Linda

Hi Annette. Glad to see you found this site and decided to check in with us and tell us your story. You have been through a lot in a very short time frame but sure are handling it well. It's also good to know that you have benefited from reading our stories and that we have given you hope. I am sending a prayer that your left side turns out to be nothing. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra

Annette

I'm glad that you were able to have surgery. I've always felt that keeping a positive attude is one of your best weapons against this disease. And by joining this site, you will find a LOT of support. Welcome and Good Luck.

Lenny

Annette, sorry I mssed your post on one of my AWOL days. Welcome aboard. Glad to hear you are doing well. I know you won't be completely comfortable until they are finished assessing that other side. Pulling for it to be Not Cancer. Keep us posted.

Judy in Key West