July 8 Scan

jaminkw

Well the big black cloud continues to hover. I think I need to stop reading the radiologist reports. Altho there are no changes reported for the lung since the Feb scans that indicated no evidence of disease, they continue to focus on the abdomen. This one mentions a "mass right adrenal 1.1 cm supicious for metastasis." Dr T said she thinks that adrenal was mentioned before. My daughter recalls it as well. What I do know was that it was never mentioned to be a met. The report also says "Haziness of the omentum is again evident, unchanged." Then later on says "infiltration in the region of the omentum is probably slightly more prominent than before." My Onc is getting increasingly irritated with the iffy language and points out the radiologist can't even quantify any change. My Onc agrees with the two oncs and PCP in KW who all think I am just fine.

I am going to choose to think I am just fine as well. The was no change in treatment and because my husband and I will be travelling all summer, Dr T agreed it would be o.k. to scan again when we breeze back thru again in Oct. She wouldn't do that if she thought I was at any great risk.

O.k., you know I'll climb out of this pit soon.

Judy in KW

Judy,

I agree with the fact that this report is entirely too "iffy". Adrenals are common sites for mets, but from what I have read, they are also a common site for benign cysts, tumors etc. My understanding is that in cases like this, you just sit and wait and either way I think they are slow growing. As for the rest, these words like "slightly" more prominent.. Could it be that this particular scan was slightly clearer.. it sounds like the radiologist found it such a close case to call that to cover his own behind he chose to call attention to it. When I look at the cost of scans and all that we have physically and emotionally invested in their results, I become extremely irritated at this kind of reporting. It seems to me you should be entitled to a second opinion at no charge... BUT... all said and done , Judy, I think I agree with your oncologist. Waiting another 3 months and scan again sounds like the best solution. IF for some reason you were to start to feel there may be a real problem, I'm sure you could change the plan. I hope you can just go and enjoy your summer . I offer you continuing prayers from here .

Hugs,

Sue

Judy,

I'll go along with the popular opinion. Let's call it "wisdom of the crowd". Kind of like build it and they will come.

Want a laugh? I finally looked at a map and saw KW way out there at the tail of the Keys. Do you usually live way out there? I can't imagine what that might be like.

Best,

Stephanie

I'll go along with a bad read too - enjoy your travels. I just think that it is so great that someone in Seattle can 'virtually' hug someone in Key West, then someone in Richmond gives another hug - and the person in key West .... smiles. (Guess I should have included Hawaii in that hug too....

Annette

Hi Judy,

It must be so frustrating to get these vague readings. Kind of like my spasms...they have no clue what causes it. Frustrating for sure. Like you, I have to live with it, and hope one of the medications I'm taking will make it better.

Stay positive and try not to worry. Nothing significant has changed. I think the radiologist is simply covering his butt, and shame on him for that. Leaving you in limbo is just not right. But that does not mean you can't wake each day and enjoy the beautiful summer and travels, and let it go until October. Enjoy your life Judy, you are alive and doing well!

I will pray for you.

Judy in MI

It's hard to know just how to react to those results. Obviously, there's nothing there that indicates cancer. So, be happy and confident that you're ok. They'll tell you when you aren't ok. I find those radiology reports terribly annoying. I'd like to see more numbers in them and more specificity. Everything is so vague.

Have a fun, relaxing summer!

Muriel

Judy,

I love the rope that Katie provided for you to climb out of your pit. And look up at the sky in that picture- it is blue and sunny with NO black cloud over your head. So enjoy the rest of your travels.

My thought and proyers are with you.

Sue

Hi Judy,

I understand your frustration,on your test feedbacks,I remember that CT scan I had some months ago,ie slight enlargement in the lymph nodes and structural changes in my thyroid etc,my GP and my oncologist were both quite annoyed with me for having that scan done at my own expense.They thought basically follow up CT was a money making racket,that did not have any substance in adding to survival rates,they only add to patient anxiety un-necessarily at the time of their scan,and these scans create more problems than they solve.My GP said the comments in my report were meaningless,my oncologist said she would view my cd disc with her colleagues and would get back to me if there was anything significant to report,they never got back.

Judy you may be thinking whats my point,regarding your situation?Following my dx,my doc prescribed for me an anti-depressent,which I refused to take because when I read the list of possible side-effects eg paranoia,heart problems withdrawal symptoms,I remember my doc smiling as she told me its only the drug company protecting itself against a law suit should anyone experience any side effect.

Isnt it true that doctors to-day have to be ultra careful,in the interpretation and reporting of medical results of tests to patients ,because any errors that may arise,they are frightened of facing a law-suit so they tend to go for overkill.

I think you should forget the report,and get back to enjoying your summer hols.

Thank you all for your kinds words. They mean so much. And yes, Katie, I LOVE the rope and the blue sky above.

As far as enjoying my summer. Read today's Air. It's getting off to a rough start.

Stephanie, I did laugh! When I first moved to KW, I used to tell people to look at the little dots on the map below FL. We are the last dot. We do, in fact, live five miles from KW which is the last dot. But our key, Geiger, is so small it barely rates a name. We and the Post Office consider us Key West.

Judy in KW