Mother Finished with First Round of Chemo and Radiation

ejpritz

Hi guys,

Today is the last day of my mothers radiation, she finished chemo on Tuesday. This was her fisrt round, and I am shocked at how well she handled it. Besides being exhausted and having a bad sore throat for the past week, she has been great. I know Chemo can be very scary for patients and thier families, I just wanted to let people know that sometimes it goes very well. I was expecting a much more difficult time. Hopefully future rounds will be similiar, but I know we won't know until we get there.

And, I know some of you expressed doubt, but she is having both lungs operated on. In 5 weeks. Each lung has one tumor, and accoridng to the Surgeon the loaction of them makes it possible to remove them both. As far as I know, she will have surgery done on one lung, and then in a few weeks they will go into the other. I spoke witht he Surgeon and he is very hopeful. He says he truly believe tbis cold have great results. Some may think it is too aggressive, but she have decideds to be aggressive and attack this thing. She is only 51, as many people suffering form such an awful disease are. She has many years ahead of her.

As rare as it is to have surgery on BOTH lungs, I recently met a girl (late 30's) who was diagnosed w/ lung cancer and had a tumor in each lung. The biopsy could not conclude whether it was two seperate primaries (Stage I) or if it was one that had traveled to the other lung (Stage IV). In any event, they went ahead and removed a lobe from each lung. She also had mixed opinions as to whether or not to have follow up chemo, and she did decide to take the treatment and seems to be doing quite well.

I wish your mother the best of luck with treatment and a quick recovery from surgery! Make sure she takes those pain meds after surgery and has someone on hand to wait on her hand a foot for awhile! :wink:

Somewhere here today or yesterday I read for BAC the best bet is to have surgery even if it is on bothe lungs. Ordinarily it said Stage IV would be no surgery ( staged because bothe lung.) but the article said as long as not mets outside of lungs was a good idea. We sure all want to keep posted on how this all goes! OK? Donna G

Hi ej,

WOW, that is unusal but if were me I'd do the same thing!!! :):) Congrats to your mom at a youg 51 she should cerainly be as agressive as possible with the treatment.

My best to you both, and you'l be in my thoughts and prayers

God bless and be well

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

MRI's taken 12/18/03 - 2 brain mets found- named em Frick & Frack

PET taken 1/5 - hot spot in mediastinum May be cancer??

"Absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Thanks guys. I may be wrong, but I really believe this is the right thing to do. I have a gutt feeling about it. And we were not exactly given any better alternatives.

Its not for more than a month, so I am just hoping that something does not happen in this time that makes it so they cannot operate. But if anyone knows of anyone who has had surgery on both lungs, please share the info.

Thanks again,

Erin

Erin,

Just one lung here. I actually know no one "personally" that has lung cancer (please, board buddies, don't take offense, I meant no one that I can HUG for real, okay?). If your mother is jumping right on the monster's back, GREAT! Hope she kicks the living crap right out of it and the monster doesn't crawl back under the bed to spook her another day...(darn monsters, gotta teach 'em who's boss)...

...and I don't compare it to the monster under the bed to make light of it, I can remember how very terrified I was when I was little and had to go upstairs to bed on my own... I could SEE that monster's eyes as he waited for me to get close enough to the bed that he could grab my ankles, drag me under and gobble me up. ...and if he didn't get me, there was ALWAYS the monster in the closet (I STILL cannot sleep if my closet door is open). Terror, sheer horror it was to have to go to bed without Mom or Dad to tuck me in and scare off the monsters... Now I have to fight my own monsters. Yes, Mom and Dad are still around and I have a wonderful (new) husband, but the monsters are now my fight...and at times, I'm every bit as terrified....

See, even tough girls can be 'fraidy cats... Meow! :wink:

Great news, hope to keep hearing it!

Becky

Ej,

I don't know if this will help at all but I have learned from a head and neck board how to use biotene mouth wash mixing it 1/4 mouth wash 3/4 water and put it in a mini spray bottle. This can be used to spray in a sore throat and it can help relieve the uncomfortable feeling a little.

I Wish I would have been able to tell you a lot earlier. I hope it helps your mother. Biotene product seems to be the best over the counter mouth product that stinks the least a very sensative mouth.

Have your mom test it on the tip of her tounge first if she wants to try it...

Chani

Your welcome...I know that you can get the Biotene products at Walmart. There is also a gum and a dry mouth ointment, saliva enhancer. If you don't see the gum or ointment on the shelves with the mouthwash, ask the pharmacist and they will either have it behind the counter or they can order it for you.

Chani

Well my mother and sister met with the surgeon yesterady. I was a little disappointed. I guess I thought the surgery was a definate. and now know that they have to do a pet scan in 2 weeks, and if it has spread they will not operate. If there is no spreading, surgery will take place the fistt week in March.

The two tumors in her lungs have shrunk from the treatment. I know that before getting treatment, all tests showed no spreading, from Cat Scans to Pet Scans to a Lymph node biopsy. So hopefully it didn't spread during the radoation/chemo. Is it unlikely for cancer to spread during chemo? I hope it is!!!

Hi Ej,

I am praying for your mother to be able to go ahead with this surgery and that it is the cure she needs. I've always heard that surgery is always the best bet, and if it is a possibility to go for it.

If the chemo has showed shrinkage, it usually is not common for the tumors to spread while shrinking the original masses. Spreading generally happens when the chemo is no longer effective. I will continue praying that she has her tumors contained and that surgery remains an option.

Keith has used the biotene products and said they are not bad. It's not like using regular mouth wash, but it has a minty flavor and is mild. He used the toothpaste and mouthwash. And it was available at our area Walgreens and at Wal-mart.

God Bless

Carleen