Pet Scan Results

PaulaC

Monday 26th 2:30 is my appointment to get the results! I'm pretty nervous but really ready to get a treatment plan started and get answers. I'll update as soon as I can. 

Paula

Paula

Hope your results go well. I am heading down to Victoria for Radiation planning in the morning and expect to start Radiation and Chemo very soon and get my accommadation sorted out for six weeks treatment. They have lodge I can stay and has all the facilities five minutes from the hospital and all meals and snacks included five days weekend hope to travel home on the weekends.

Bob

Thank you and good luck with your up coming treatments. I’m glad they have a facilities to help out while there. Good luck , safe travels  

Paula 

I think every bit of information you get will create a little spot of clarity for the path forward.  Think of the scans and tests as roadmaps for your docs.  

Let us know how you make out--will be sending good vibes!

Good luck, Paula!! You and are are sort of in the same phase of this unwanted journey. In addition to that my first biopsy showed positive for non small adenocarcinoma and my path report stated “poorly differentiated “. It’s a crazy experience but you are not alone!!                                Keep swimming!                                                              Ann

Thank you Ann! It’s been a roller coaster with my feelings but as days go by I’ve adjusted. Keep me updated on your journey I know we can be of comfort to each other. 

Take care

Paula

Well the Pet Scan showed that the cancer had spread to my lymph nodes so instead of a surgeon he’s sending me to Texas Oncolgy.  He said he didn’t know which direction the other doctors won’t take but he’s pretty optimistic. 

Im not sure how I’m feeling but wanted post what I knew. I’ll update later. 

Paula

Paula,

I’m so very sorry to learn about your PET result.  

I was successfully treated at Texas Oncology. My clinic was a small, full service affair and I found I liked the individualized treatment I received. 

With conventional surgery off the table, don’t forget the new types of focused radiation therapy just perfect for zapping lymph nodes. Discuss this possibility when you meet your radio oncologist at Texas Oncology. These new methods are called IMRT and SBRT. A form of the latter type likely saved my life. 

I know you are disappointed but we haven’t come close to exhausting the treatment playbook yet. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

Thanks Bridget & Tom! My doctor said that they have a lot more options today than they did a few years ago.  I'm staying optimistic about it. Tom I may come back and ask some questions about the focused radiation therapy. The pulmonary Dr did feel like if they could shrink the cancer in the lymph nodes that they might be able to remove the tumor. When I asked about surgery to remove the lymph nodes he said that it was to close to a major artery.

Take Care

Paula

There are definitely  a lot more options for lung cancer treatment than there were a few years ago, and it seems like there are new ones coming up all the time. 

Bridget O

Hi, Paula,

Dang, sorry about the PET scan results.  Still, it sounds like you are in good hands-- and there are folks here who are doing great with cancer much more advanced than yours.  Hopefully your treatment will knock this thing on its butt.  

Stay positive!

Teri

Paula 

looks like we have very similar symtoms and upcoming treatment, Radiation and Chemo.

Today was Radiation planning done CT  scan and marked the spots they give you little tattoo dot thought that was new .My treatment now starts on March-12 five days week with radiation and one day week for Chemo make for intresting six weeks.  

This is my second time doing this but first for Chemo.  lol

Bob

Hi, Paula,

Initially those results are a bummer for sure but as stated so many times, they have come a long way in recent years. It is interesting to me how each "case" is so unique and also interesting is the different approaches to treatment the doctors take. I work with a girl who had stage 3 nsclc (mets to lymph nodes) in 2016. They did surgery to remove her tumor in lung and then she did chemo & radiation. Then there are others that say absolutely no surgery if cancer has spread to lymph nodes... 

At least you have a plan now and can get going on kicking this disease out your body. I'm anxiously looking forward to getting a plan in place for myself as well.

Keep us posted! I read an incredible book this weekend.. "Peace In The Face Of Cancer" by Lynn EIB .... a book full of understanding, some humor, raw truth but most of all hope!!

Ann

8 hours ago, Robert Macaulay said:

Paula 

looks like we have very similar symtoms and upcoming treatment, Radiation and Chemo.

Today was Radiation planning done CT  scan and marked the spots they give you little tattoo dot thought that was new .My treatment now starts on March-12 five days week with radiation and one day week for Chemo make for intresting six weeks.  

This is my second time doing this but first for Chemo.  lol

Bob

Bob, We’ve got this!  I’m ready to get a game plan and treatments started. 

Take care

Paula

9 hours ago, LexieCat said:

Hi, Paula,

Dang, sorry about the PET scan results.  Still, it sounds like you are in good hands-- and there are folks here who are doing great with cancer much more advanced than yours.  Hopefully your treatment will knock this thing on its butt.  

Stay positive!

Teri

Thanks Teri I know I’m going to beat this. 

1 hour ago, Ann Cronin said:

Hi, Paula,

Initially those results are a bummer for sure but as stated so many times, they have come a long way in recent years. It is interesting to me how each "case" is so unique and also interesting is the different approaches to treatment the doctors take. I work with a girl who had stage 3 nsclc (mets to lymph nodes) in 2016. They did surgery to remove her tumor in lung and then she did chemo & radiation. Then there are others that say absolutely no surgery if cancer has spread to lymph nodes... 

At least you have a plan now and can get going on kicking this disease out your body. I'm anxiously looking forward to getting a plan in place for myself as well.

Keep us posted! I read an incredible book this weekend.. "Peace In The Face Of Cancer" by Lynn EIB .... a book full of understanding, some humor, raw truth but most of all hope!!

Ann

Morning Ann, I’m glad that I’m finally getting to an oncologist and hoping that they will have a plan to do the surgery. The pulmonary doctor said the cancer in the lymph nodes are to close main artery to do surgery. 

I don’t have a plan yet but I am finally getting to the right type of doctor. I hope that you can finally get there too!  I know it’s just the beginning but the process seems to move really slow. 

Thanks for the book suggestion sounds like a good read. 

We've got this!

Paula

Agree............ the slow part, where we are all "Urgent!!" it seems the folks controlling/directing our path are anything but urgent. While I understand they see this every day, the newly diagnosed do not! 

Best of the best to you in your next step!

Yes, we do have this!

Ann

Good morning, Paula.  I am a patient at Texas Oncology and have had great experiences.  I'm not sure what part of Texas you are in but if you are anywhere near DFW, I highly recommend Dr. Illum at Texas Oncology Bedford.  He spent years researching lung cancer and is just a great person. 

When my tumor was removed, cancer was found in 7/10 lymph nodes.  I had chemo and clear scans for almost a year.  I had a recurrence in a lymph node and, like you, it was near a major artery.  I had chemo and radiation to resolve that recurrence.  

We're here for you.  

Good morning Susan, I’m excited to here about your experience with the Bedford office. I hope today to find out which doctor I’ll be seeing.  I live in Keller but worked at DFW for years and most of my regular doctors are in North Richland Hills and Bedford.  Dr Illum is on of the doctors on the list I was referred too!  Your treatment and referral give me hope. Thank you for the referral !

Take Care

Paula

On 2/27/2018 at 4:17 AM, Ann Cronin said:

Hi, Paula,

Ann

Ann, I bought the book and it came today! I’m excited to read it. 

We’ve got this!

Paula

Archived