Murphy Was An Optimist.....

Tom Galli

Some may have noticed my decline in activity on LCSC.  About the last week of May, I picked up something that quickly went to my chest and wrapped me with iron clad symptoms of congestion and coughing.  I've been seeing my GP once a week since. After Z-packs, Bactrim, Levaquin, Albuterol breathing treatments, Advair, Combivent, and a host of other meds, I can't shake it.  A new symptom appeared -- a dry patch deep in my throat.  That earned me a trip to the ENT doc who scoped me and proclaimed nothing appeared out of the ordinary.  Then, my GP ordered an MRI of the neck and chest. He told me the scan was clean and I celebrated!

Today, I received an email from my oncologist who also told me the MRI showed no concern from his standpoint, but he wants to do a whole-body combination PET/CT now, if possible.  We are 9 days from departing on our much anticipated 14-day Baltic Sea cruise, and Doc knows about our cruise.  Oh my, we are having fun!

At my GP's office today, he noted I still "have my wheeze", put me back on Bactrim, and told me to nebulize the daylights out of my poor suffering lung. He is concerned my continuing congestion is an invitation to pneumonia.  Especially in the first leg of our journey -- an 8-hour flight from Dallas to Stockholm with 250 fellow passengers, anyone of which with but a sniffle could put me down for the count!

I normally suffer through a spring "pollen season" with asthmatic symptoms and Martha hopes this season is really, really bad.  I hope it is horrible compared to a recurrence. So, I'm waiting for a hastily arranged scan.  I don't really have Scanziety; that is waiting for results.  I'm waiting for a scan, taking nebulizer treatments, and savoring the antibiotics induced constipation while anticipating a cruise, I hope!  Maybe not!

Engineers are prone to encounters with Murphy's Law.  You know -- anything that can go wrong will.  I've been Murphied!  Indeed, we are all but one scan away from mayhem! Oh I hate this disease....

Stay the course.

Hi Tom

In my experience I've observed the Dunning-Kruger Effect far more frequently.

These days I really can't be bothered travelling.  I enjoyed last Decembers trip to Hawaii but nearly all of the Asian and European countries that I've visited over the years  I feel are no longer safe. I really haven't seen enough of my own country yet and fortunately it is still safe ( except for pockets).

All the best

Wayne

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry to hear you're having  lung problems. Such bad timing, too! I know how much you value your travel. The Baltic sounds great. I suggest you take it a day at a time and maybe you (and your doctor) will decide you're able to travel without too much risk. Or maybe not. I do hope you can go and that your issue turns out to be pollen related asthma.  Hange in there and know that I'm thinking of you and visualizing you flying and cruising in comfort and health. Keep us informed.

Bridget O

Tom

So sorry to hear that our fearless leader is battling yet once again. I am praying for you. Hoping this is just another skirmish and not a return to the war. 

Judy M

Well, THAT sucks.  It seems like a recurrence wouldn't be causing those kinds of symptoms without something showing up in your lung, which has been scanned?  It would be awful to miss your cruise--I can imagine how disappointing that would be.  

Do your best to keep cool/calm--stress and anxiety are notorious for messing with the immune system, as well as messing with respiration.  

Dr. Lexie prescribes ice cream...

Fingers crossed that this resolves quickly--keep us posted!

Putting this episode on the list of things that suck!  I'm hopefully this is just a really, really bad pollen/hayfever/allergic to DFW issue.  Fingers and toes crossed!  

Steff, I like Susan's "list of things that suck" Having cancer gives us extra ones, besides the usual (and sometimes unusual) ones that life generally provides. Maybe we could have a feature on Just for Fun  to make a Things that Suck list. Not that they're fun or funny, but still it might be something we could share and express some frustrations. How about a list also of Things that Don't Suck. (like sharing and supporting each other here.)

Bridget O

Tom,

I think Murphy can go suck an egg. I personally think he is BFF's with lung cancer. I hope you are feeling a bit better today. How are you feeling? I've had some pretty bad allergies since mid-May, but nothing in comparison to what you are having to deal with. I really hope it's just allergies that you are experiencing. I'm keeping you in thoughts and keeping my fingers crossed that you can go on your trip. Since I know you aren't a hugger, I am sending a nice, firm handshake.

Take care,

Steff

Steff,

You know me too well. Thanks for the handshake. 

I’m feeling fine but am still all clogged up. I  stopped at my GP’s office (no appointment, called him Sunday and he said just swing by!) today and dissected the MRI. Now I know why my oncologist is concerned — swollen lymph nodes in the neck. Of course, inflammation of the sinus showed and the nodes might be an infection but the radiologist suggested a PET. 

It doesn’t look like I have the PET till after the cruise. Martha and I are determined to go. My carry-on bag looks like a pharmacy! (Yes, already packed for a Saturday departure: engineer’s disease....).

So am a bit relieved it is nodes. Together with sinuses they can point to sickness or pollen irritation. 

Soldiering on and we’ll...

Stay the course. 

Tom

Glad to hear you are feeling better and getting ready to go! I know all too well the pharmacy carry on bag when I travel with my mom!! Lol We would love to hear about all of the FUN you and Martha have on the trip, when you return. 

Take care,

Steff

Sorry to hear of your illness Tom,hope this passes ASAP,enjoy your Baltic trip.Looking forward to hearing how it went. 

Sounds like you've got an AWESOME doc.  Well, it sure seems like those lymph nodes would be related to the sinus issues.  I'm glad they are checking them out just in case, but there's another principle at work here, too, Occam's Razor.  The simplest explanation would be that you have a sinus infection.

I hope you are able to enjoy your trip--breathing ocean air might help, never know!

Hi, Tom,

I hope that Teri is right about the ocean air! Reading that you're already packed five days ahead of departure put a smile on my face. I'm glad that you were able to see your doctor before you leave and I hope that you have a wonderful trip!

Thank you for all that you do for this community!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Tom

Hope you and your wife (who richly deserves it from what you've written) enjoy your trip. And I actually read an article once that said breathing sea air is healing for the lungs. 

Judy M

Sorry to hear you've had a miserable time Tom but I agree with Judy about the sea air is said to be very good for lungs so I hope your have a fabulous time with your wife because you deserve it ...

Archived