Introducing

We got this

Hello, diagnosed 3/1/19.  Small cell limited stage ... dr says early and curable.  Completed 30 radiation appointments 2 times per day over 3 weeks.  Chemo next week is the start of third cycle.... new to public boards ... looking forward to becoming active...

Hello, welcome.  Sorry to hear about your DX.  I was diagnosed a few days before that.  My treatment was surgery so far.  We do have this!   

Welcome to the group.  Like Curt my diagnosis was around your time and I'm now recovering from my lobectomy.  You'll find a great group of folks here that can share first-hand experience.  While I have not had chemo, many others have and you'll also get great tips on working through the medical system and life in general (especially through the tough times).

And yes...I'm with you and Curt, "We Got This".

Lou

Thanks for the responses.  Been a long journey over the past two months.  Two weekends in the hospital due to low  levels of blood counts and potential infection.  However not this weekend.  Tomorrow is more blood work in preparation for Tuesday which starts another chemo  round (Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday).  Had the 1/2 way CAT Scan on Friday and have an appointment with the oncologist on Tuesday before chemo to get the progresses report from the cat scan.  What I do know is small cell lower left lobe - involved two lymph noids in the same lung with no indication that it progressed beyond the lung.  Doctor indicated limited stage.   He said curable ....  Hope and pray he still has the same thoughts on Tuesday.  Had 30 rounds of radiation twice daily over three weeks.  Graduated from that.  Two more chemo rounds left.  

Would love to discuss with others and support others in the same situation.  We can not win this alone - but WE GOT THIS together.

Hope everyone had a great Mothers Day - I did get out to go to the movies with daughter, wife and future son in law.  Wedding is a little more than two months away.

Anyone else experience loss of voice due to the tumor laying on the nerve that runs back up to the voice box?  How long did it take for your voice to come back?  Did they discuss the possibility of ENT (Ear Nose Throat) doctor having to inject the vocal flap?  

Lost over 30 pounds due to the burning in the esophagus.  That appears to be getting better but not 100% yet.  Also noted today - two weeks after radiation was over that I started two feel burnt on the skin across the chest.  Used some cream on it today but not much better.

Thanks for this group!

God Bless...    Ken

Hi Ken and welcome. You've been through  a lot in a short time with your treatment. May I aske what  chemo you're on?  Hang in there!

Bridget O

Good morning Bridget,

Cisplatin and Etoposide are the two chemo drugs currently.  The Etoposide three days and the Cisplatin on day one only.

Ken

Hi Ken,

You are a trooper!  Twice daily radiation couldn't have been much fun, especially with the side effects.  But I am happy you made it through!  I look forward to hearing about your progress report from your doc, keeping my fingers crossed for positive news.

Take Care,

Steff

Thank you Steff

blood work was good today so I am sure we are starting round three tomorrow.  Only elephant in the room is the cat scan results.... will share tomorrow and then I guess I have to move off this topic and find a new topic that will be more appropriate.

have a great day....

Ken

has anyone done any comparison on the costs of newlasta and it’s likes?

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say hello. I too was diagnosed with limited small cell on March 12. It has been a long journey. 35 radiation treatment's  and 4 rounds of chemo. MRI head last Monday and if no problems will start PCI radiation next week.  I had the same  chemo as you are and it made me so sick and unable to function for days later. My skin is burned to from the radiation and swallowing is still hard.  I too have lost over 30 pounds. It's been very hard but the fight is worth it. My Doc says 100 percent remission.  Having pet scan the 17th. I truly think it's gone. My tumor right lung was 7.5cm x 5cm and involved lymph nodes but only on the right side.  

Stay positive, nice to hear your story. Sounds similar to mine.  

Archived