Stage IV adenocarcinoma

Jennedy

Hi all,

I found a lump in my neck 4 wks ago. That led to a chest Xray, CT scan, bronchoscopy, EBUS, MRI and PET scan. Prior to the PET scan, I was told Stage III adenocarcinoma. The MRI came back clean, but the PET scan showed it was also in my shoulder. The shoulder that I have been undergoing physical therapy for. So now I'm stage IV.

Next week, I see a radiology oncologist and will start 10 radiation treatments. We are waiting for results of genetic testing to see what else to do. 

Stage III, I had come to terms with, I would have chemo and feel awful for a few months but I could fight it. I'm in good shape. I walk marathons. But Stage IV seems so much worse - Fatal. 

I'm terrified to put it bluntly. The change in stage was today so I'm still processing.

Thank you in advance.

Jenny

Hi Jennedy,

I'm sorry to hear abut your diagnosis. it's understandable that you're terrified. You can  fight this cancer and you can live. If you look around this site, you will find quite a few people who are surviving for years with a stage 4 diagnosis. In the past few years, there have been a lot of new treatments approved. There are also clinical trials that might be appropriate for you. So, hang in there!  Recognize that your fear is a normal and expected reaction. It may never completely go away, but it will get easier to cope with.

Bridget O

Hi Jenny,

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis.  There have been great advancements in lung cancer treatments in the last few years. You can be NED (no evidence of disease) still at stage IV.  You can still fight this.  There is hope.  I'm glad your doctor is having biomarker testing done, that can be very helpful determining a treatment plan.  We are here for you, please keep us updated on how you are feeling.

Also, if you check out the blogs section, I posted an article yesterday of a lung cancer survivor who biked across the country!  Your marathon career doesn't have to end now. :)

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Something you said freaked me out!  I had physical therapy on my shoulder and it got better, but it’s back now    Did you have a full body pet scan?  I had skull to thighs scan in December which found lung and lymph node progression.  You got me thinking now!

Hi Jenny, 

Welcome here.  First things first, you are not alone.  I'm sorry you have to join the club here.   Of course it's terrifying to hear about a Stage IV lung cancer diagnosis.  I was diagnosed almost two years ago. I'm doing well.    It's not a terminal condition with the advances in treatment.  Diagnosis is not prognosis.  The best guidance we can give you is to stay off the internet.  There have been more advances in the last five years than in the last fifty years, in the last month the FDA approved seven new treatments.    It is critically important to understand exactly what type of lung cancer you have through something called bio-marker testing which identifies the DNA structure of the tumor and helps the medical team to use precision medicine.

You might want to check out the book by Greg Anderson: Cancer-50 Essential Things to Do.  He's a Stage IV lung cancer survivor that was diagnosed over twenty years ago,  

In the beginning it's so hard to get your head wrapped around this. The emotional roller coaster is a horrible ride.  Give yourself some time to adjust.  It's okay to cry. We all do.  Some days you will take it hour by hour, you can do this.  Brighter days are coming.   We're here for you.  

Michelle 

15 hours ago, Lin wilki said:

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Something you said freaked me out!  I had physical therapy on my shoulder and it got better, but it’s back now    Did you have a full body pet scan?  I had skull to thighs scan in December which found lung and lymph node progression.  You got me thinking now!

Lin wilki, i had the skull to thigh pet scan also. The oncologist said it's in my `shoulder blade` which hubby took to mean bone. But I have a lump where the pain is so I think muscle. I'll be clarifying that on that on Tuesday. 

Thank you all for your support. I told my (adult) daughters yesterday that this site made me feel more hopeful about things.

Jennedy,

I'm joining my Lungevity Family here is welcoming you to our site and also saying that I'm sorry you need to be here.  It's fully understandable that you are upset by your diagnosis, but stay strong as we do have others here with a Stage IV diagnosis that have reached NED (a goal we all share).  Ask any questions you have and soon you'll see others that have walked the same path as you and will be able to share their personal experiences and successes.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Lou

Yes absolutely!  Stick around. So many great helpful people. Also long term survivors. You never know when your time is up. LIVE to the fullest 

Archived