Biopsy this morning

LexieCat

Back home, everything went fine. A bit foggy and sore throat/cough/hoarse, but was able to eat Wawa breakfast (East Coast convenience store) I picked up on the way home. Pulmonologist says they got good samples and are pretty sure they are cancerous but won’t have detail for a few days. BTW, I loved that one of the young assistants was wearing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cap. It inspired a degree of confidence, lol. Heroes on a Half-Shell and all that.

Just taking it easy today.

Glad to hear it went well!  I'm amazed you were able to consume Wawa breakfast on the way home 😁   And love the TMNT cap!!!  That had to start you off with a smile. 

Susan 

Apparently since COVID, they made a change to the procedures--all sedation was IV and they didn't numb my throat, which made it safe to eat/drink right after. I was surprised, too, but happy to get some comfort food in my stomach. (Not to mention the caffeine deficit I was suffering--too much blood in my caffeine system.)

Hahaha.  For the last few years prior to my diagnosis I commuted to Princeton.  Lots of trips up 295 from PHL.  I kinda miss living in Jersey, away from my family & good pizza but don’t miss the taxes and traffic!!  

Yeah, for 3 years I commuted from home to Trenton while I was working at the AG's Office. Drive is better now that they finally completed the 295 extension in Trenton--back when I made the drive, the trip from Bordentown through Trenton was excruciating.

Lexie,

Glad to hear that your tests went as well as can be expected.  And having a TMNT fan there can be comforting, especially if he has any pizza to offer.  The waiting is a hard part for us and always will be.  I look forward to hearing what your plan of attack will be so that I (and everyone else here) can cheer your team on to victory.  Stay strong...

Lou

Wawa does a pretty good hoagie as I recall. Neat computer-based order system. I do miss Philly food: cheesesteak, hoagie and of course breakfast scrapple and Taylor Pork Roll!

Thanks, Lou,

Dang! I completely forgot to quiz him on a pizza connection. Oh, well, if I don't get to it sooner, I'll be ordering pizza for my daughter when she gets here. Whenever she visits, the first few days are sucked up by how bad and "stupid" the traffic is in NJ. Eventually, though, once we order some pizza and/or crabcakes, she remembers that the Garden State does have its good points.

Let me see. Jersey sweet corn, tomatoes, peaches, blue crabs, peppers and more locked in my memory. In trips to Ocean City, NJ, down the old Black Horse Pike, field after field had a prominent sign: "This crop in this field will be proudly served in Campbells Soup". Hence, the Garden State!

Oh, def. Jersey corn and tomatoes are best in the world. And blueberries & cranberries, too.

It's funny, when I first moved here (and knew nothing about the state except the bad rap it gets), I thought "Garden State" was supposed to be a joke or something. No joke.

I also owned a vineyard for a few years (partner at the time had a winery business--I personally planted three acres of grapes--twice because we didn't have irrigation at first). 

LexiCat I hope your results come quickly. Then you will know your plan of attack. We’re all here for you as well as your kids.  Great that they are coming

All that food sounds delicious. Glad it’s almost dinner time for me!

Hi Lexie, I was thinking about you today and hoping that everything went well with your biopsy this morning. I was wondering if Wawa is still having customers use the computer screens to order food in the deli area? It seems like that would be a major health hazard during this pandemic.

I believe so--but I got my food from the bin by the checkout. I just carry a small bottle of sanitizer and use that after touching screens, door handles, etc. 

Wawa also has delivery now--many do, anyway.

19 hours ago, LexieCat said:

Apparently since COVID, they made a change to the procedures--all sedation was IV and they didn't numb my throat, which made it safe to eat/drink right after. I was surprised, too, but happy to get some comfort food in my stomach. (Not to mention the caffeine deficit I was suffering--too much blood in my caffeine system.)

Lexie,

I wish they had made the same procedural change here.  I also had my Bronchoscopy yesterday and they did the full blown lidocaine in the throat thing.  I think that part is the worst!  Just when you think they can’t possibly numb you anymore they have like another cup or so to spray in there.  I was however heavily sedated after that.  I wasn’t with the first one I had last summer.  I asked for them to use as little as possible and remember the whole thing, there was basically no recovery time.  Felt perfectly alert and fine at the end.  I asked yesterday to not be sedated, but was told  “At the Mayo this is how we do it”.  I do think they were much more invasive with this one and got more tissue samples.  

Glad yours went so well, now we wait.  Onward and upward.  It will be nice to both get a plan.

Take care,

Babs

The only really unpleasant part for me was when they started injecting the sedative. I actually yelled, shi_! because it burned so badly. Then they injected (I think) Lidocaine, and that burned, too (only not quite so bad). Then I went to sleep and woke up when they were done, feeling fine except for sore throat and cough. I didn't even feel that groggy, just a bit. I was able to remind them to take out the IV (lol, last time I was discharged they forgot to take out the needle) and walk down and wait for my ride under my own steam. My throat wasn't at all numb--if they used anything there, it had worn off by the time I woke up. So the procedure itself was pretty easy, all things considered. I'm sorry yours was more intense. But getting good samples is the most important thing.

And now we wait. Again. :) 

Yikes, Babs, you are brave asking not to be sedated!!! 😳   I am still hoping I will get to bypass the bronchoscopy since they were able to get biopsy from the subclavicular node.  I vividly remember my husband's experience with it, and him telling me afterward that he felt like he was drowning. They will HAVE to knock me out for that.  The lidocaine spray sounds pretty nasty, too.   All my endoscopies have been super easy - I remember nothing - hoping to keep it that way. 😊

Hoping you both get good news (and quickly)! 

Susan 

Susan,

Drowning is exactly how it feels!!  Like I said, that is the worst part.  Once that is over, by the time they actually put the scope down you are so numb and I think the cough/gag reflex is gone due to the lidocaine.  At least that’s how it was the 1st time.  Hopefully you don’t have to have one. 😊

Fingers crossed for you Teri... I love how you are able to find humor to infuse your experiences.  What a trooper!  Love your t-shirt! Amen to that! Good to hear they got good samples. Very glad you were able to move forward quickly with this. We're all here for you!

When I had my CT Saturday - obviously a painless procedure apart from the anxiety -  the tech was exceptionally attractive. He had specks of gray hair so I assumed older / closer to my age - so I didn't feel like a perv as the techs are usually quite young.  Discovered it is very hard to flirt with a face mask on! I'm going to have to learn how to bat my eyelashes.   He was also exceptionally kind and cordial.  A good distraction for a split second from the anxiety I was feeling! 😄

Attagirl! We all gotta learn to adapt in these treacherous times. 

I had a gigantic crush on my surgeon--who was in his late 30s, if I had to guess. Plus he was married to a lovely woman, but still--a little distraction is nice.

Archived