Surgery

SamGirl50

Hello all! Good morning and blessings to everyone. I met with the surgeon yesterday and he said that he classifies me as stage 1b and has scheduled me for VATs surgery to remove the URL on November 30th. I'm also scheduled for a bronchoscopy this Monday, he said they are going to check the lymph nodes. I do have to have another biopsy done (they'll call me to schedule) before surgery on the second nodule in the RML because he said if it is cancer, he would like to remove it, via wedge resection, during the same surgery. If it is not cancerous, he would not remove it. He stated that he is going for a cure. He told me that he wants me to start walking, vigorously, everyday for about 50 mins to build up my lungs before surgery. I'm glad that it feels like things are getting into position but unfortunately it doesn't take away that fear. Everyone have a wonderful day!

Sam

I'm a Girl and I'm 50... :-)

Hi SamGirl50,

I'm sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but happy to hear that it is in an early stage.  I had the same surgery and I wrote some tips and tricks to get through the surgery and they can be found here.  In the meantime your doctor's advice is great; eat healthy, get out and walk (the weather is beautiful), drink plenty of fluids and do things to keep your mind in as relaxed a state as possible.  This surgery will be easier than you think and all the work you do now will help you to heal better post-surgery.

Lou

Wishing you the very best and hope your surgery is totally successful!  I was not lucky enough to find my Lung Cancer at an early stage, but I'm still very happy that even with Stage IV I'm now stable, off treatment and doing well!   We've come a long way in treating LC!  

Take care!!

Lou's tips are great! Wish I had had them before my surgery. If you have questions, there are quite a few of us here who have had VATs (I almost wrote "BATS") lobectomies and who would be happy to answer them if we can. Best of luck. Surgery is the gold standard for early stage NSCLC. 

Bridget

12 hours ago, BridgetO said:

there are quite a few of us here who have had VATs (I almost wrote "BATS") lobectomies

The BATS lobectomies are available only this time of year. For them, we have "Tips and Tricks and Treats."

My favorite tip and trick treat is Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. Plural because I can't eat only one!

We have a black cat and she perks up her antics in October. I caught her several years ago peeking through the front blinds in a window paralleling our entry sidewalk to check out the trick or treat parade to our doorstep. She'll miss the candy giving this year because of COVID.

Sam, I did wonder if you were a girl when I first saw your name. Fifty is nifty and I do hope nifty is a descriptor of your surgeon's prowess in resecting your cancer. I pray for a clean NED result and clean scans from now on.

Stay the course.

Tom

It's great weather for walks, but take care to guard against infection after your biopsy. I got pneumonia after the doctor got through poking around in there, but you sound much healthier than I and my condition, including COPD, is more advanced. All the other comments about boosting your immune system are good ones, including your diet. I look forward to hearing about your good results.

Archived