Had my surgery now about to have a second one.

Marilyn Raven

Hi All,

I haven't been here for a while, I had my surgery on the 10th of June an open thoracotomy so far recovering well not much pain at all or easily managed anyway I was discharged after 5 days with the news that pathology in theatre was negative I was a very happy camper as you can imagine then last Thursday the surgeon phone to say that further pathology in the lab showed a low grade cancer so I am have surgery again on Tuesday to remove mu upper lobe fingers crossed my 2nd recovery is a good as the first although I know I will have a bit more trouble with my breathing. I have been using my lung exercise thingy  to be the best shape possible for round 2, first surgery one third of upper lobe gone. I guess I know what to expect so that is a positive at least and I have fine surgeon and a great hospital. He told me it was a low grade cancer so fingers crossed all is well. Has anyone else had an experience like this if so I would love to hear about it.

Blessings to all 

Maz

Welcome....sorry about the diagnosis.

I have never heard of a "low grade cancer". Always thought cancer was cancer. Curious if your in the States?

You've found a great spot. Ask all the questions you have or just relate your treatments. Doesn't matter...your welcomed here.

Peace

Tom

Maz,

I've also never heard of a low grade cancer. But, I've very happy to learn of your rapid recovery. A second surgery in the US is rarely performed because we use a PET/CT scan to screen for other metastatic sites prior to surgery during staging. Do they use this technology in Australia? If they do, you might want to ask for a PET/CT to ensure doctors have identified all possible sites before your surgery.

Stay the course.

Tom

I had a PET in April after it grew 2mm between September and then SUV went from 1.6 to 2.7 and they were still unsure whether it was cancer but decided on the "when in doubt take it out" philosophy it was very close to my pulmonary artery so very difficult to do with VATS as it was quite small the PET the radiologist described it as a probable low grade cancer I think by that they mean not yet very active and I am assuming that is what the surgeon meant when he called me tp it will be 12 days between surgeries erghh! it's the first time in 10 years that this has happened to this surgeon anyway he will take upper right lobe and probably lymph nodes so I am hope there has been no spread.

Thanks for the replies they are appreciated

The PET showed no other hot spots anywhere only this one -2cm nodule which had grown from about 1,2mm to 1.5mm over a period of 7 months I believe they mean not very active when they say low grade as opposed to aggressive. I hope that make sense and yep I am in OZ

Marilyn,

Good luck with this surgery and I look forward to hearing more about this after you're done.

Lou

About grades of cancer-- it's not common to hear about grades of NSCLC, but a lot of cancer types are commonly graded.  I had breast cancer that was grade 1 (slow growing, not very aggressive) and a gynecologic cancer that was grade 3 (very aggressive). This is based usually on pathology. The more "abnormal" the cells look, the higher the grade. 

Just a one-off comment.

I had the right-upper lobe removed. That was in January 2020. Today I am breathing the best I ever have in my life. I quit smoking, lost weight, dutifully attended pulmonary rehab, and eat healthier. Onward.

Best,
Glenn

Hello, I am new here. Had left upper lobe sleeve removal May18, 2021. Chemo starts this Thursday due to lymph node and pulmonary artery involvement can you tell me what to expect??. 

Just now, Joann noel said:

Hello, I am new here. Had left upper lobe sleeve removal May18, 2021. Chemo starts this Thursday due to lymph node and pulmonary artery involvement can you tell me what to expect??. 

Welcome. Can I suggest you post on new members? You will get more responses I think.

You have found a great place. So many people have traveled the road you just found. So much to learn.

Please ask any specific questions you have. I would link you to some helpful info but not smart enough. Someone else will follow up I'm sure.

Again welcome...and there is so much hope now.

Peace

Tom

Joann,

Tom's suggestion about a new member post is a good one, but we'll find you wherever you post.

First, to help you out, we need some details about your surgery. Do I understand you had an upper lobe resection? Was it conventional surgery (thoracotomy), robotic, or VATS. If your chemo starts Thursday, then a biopsy was performed. What was the diagnosis of your type of cancer. Here is information on the types of lung cancer (click on right arrow Classification by Histology).

What are the names of the chemo drugs you are receiving? What is the frequency of your chemo? Is chemo being infused or by pill form? Did your physician say you are receiving adjuvant chemotherapy? Finally, what stage is your diagnosis? Here is information on lung cancer staging?

Answering these questions allows our members who've had the treatment you are having to join in and answer questions. That said, I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB, non small cell squamous cell lung cancer in February 2004. I've had every form of treatment except immunotherapy (you can see treatment details on my profile) and advanced to Stage IV after the first of 5 recurrences. So if I can live, so can you. Here are my suggestions to fight this disease.

Maz here discharged yesterday after second surgery to remove upper right lobe I have had no issues breathing and they took me off the oxygen in ICU.  I am doing well still no major pain from thoracotomy and same discomfort from where the tube was so  far pain is easily managed with paracetamol and a bit of Endone keeping it down to the lowest I can. It was an Adenocarcinoma but not very active but I will know more in a month when I see the surgeon again. I have survived 2 major surgeries in 12 days not too bad for 74.  Thanks for all your support. Love and blessing to everyone here  :-)

Glad to hear that you are doing so well.  Keep pacing yourself but keep moving forward and you will heal faster than you think you can.

Lou

1 hour ago, LouT said:

Glad to hear that you are doing so well.  Keep pacing yourself but keep moving forward and you will heal faster than you think you can.

Lou

Thanks taking it easy day by day, truly grateful for a very skilled surgeon with small hands it has made my open surgery a lot less painful than it may have been,  so far luck has been on my side and I am very grateful. We will see where it goes from here. Actually many people at the hospital explained that Dr Tharions anatomy made his open surgeries less painful, I guess he can get his hand through a smaller space and didn't need to stretch my ribs as much as someone with bigger hands. He is an older man of very few words and a great deal of wisdom.

Blessings to all

Maz

Archived