Duke of Earl - Chapter 61 - The Seesaw

ginnyde

Dear Ginny.....Your new Easter picture looks great. I can see you are full of life. And your post also shows how you still know there's more good to come in the future. I think men have more of a problem with the complications of this disease. They seem to think their manhood is slipping away, when their ability to earn a living, and to show love thru sex is temporarily diminished. Hope you discover the solution with chemicals or without. Earl is lucky you are in his corner fighting for the good life for him. Carolyn

Ginny-

Can see that you are really hurting by the tenor of your post. You've received good tips and I KNOW you have great common sense, so will be praying for you both as you work your way through the muddy morass of inertia and indifference. Hugs and much love. (The Duke is a lucky dude to have you!)

Ginny,

I don't think it is the meds, Earl has lost his passion in life. Most men define themselves by what they do in life for a living; whereas, ladies by their families. I myself became extremely depressed when not working because I wasn't contributing to anything, and I have no children. Talking to a therapist would help Earl to put things more into perspective, to figure out what is de-motivating him- albeit the diagnosis of cancer can really discourage anyone. What helped me was to set obtainable goals daily, exercise, support from others, plant a garden, make future plans, get out of the house, laugh together, work a couple of hours per day, atend church, get a pet, help others, just to name a few. Good Luck,

Cheryl

I hope things are going better for Earl by this point. It is so hard to have a "life" if you don't want to get out of bed in the morning.

I forced myself many days to get up and get moving and to LIVE the life God gave me. I did not take any drugs so I am glad I didn't have to deal with that aspect of it.

My prayers are with him (and you).

God Bless,

MO

The Duke (who is a computer consultant) never gets on the this site or the internet period. But I told him about my post here and some of your responses. I have also cut his Zoloft in half.

Well, lo and behold, he is coming to life. Last night he wanted to go out for Chinese. Ate every little bit and licked his plate clean. We left quickly because he got tired but WE WENT and he ENJOYED.

This morning at 8:30 I hear this little voice coming from upstairs. I go look up and there is the Duke in his jammies, saying 'Do you want to go out for breakfast?'

I fell over. 1. The Duke never gets up that early, even when healthy. and 2. We used to go out every Sunday for breakfast before LC, it was a ritual. WOW, your prayers, my urging and the lesser Zoloft may have done the trick.

A life. With some joy and just everyday things.

As you can tell, I HATE TO COOK.

Thank you all. You know you are in my thoughts and prayers all the time.

P.S. My sister is out of the hospital and staying at her daughters. This is a really tough road for her but we are optimistic. I am sad because she is in Tulsa and I really can not leave Earl and be with her. Thank God for Alexander G. Bell.

Ginny, neither Dave nor I have been on the boards much lately, not even lurking, so I am just seeing your post, but it really grabbed my attention. Mostly because you LOOK and SOUND like the most vivacious person EVER, so this lethargic-ness must be really driving you crazy!

It sounds to me like it's the Zoloft. I've heard that anti-depressants can do this, but I've especially heard this about Zoloft. I do know that you are never supposed to go cold turkey on any anti-depressant so cutting the Duke down to half a pill is a good approach, but please please talk to whatever doctor prescribed it and get their advice. I think the plan should be to taper him down and then start him on something else, but I don't know the best way to do that. Also, I've been on Celexa for probably five years now and I've never had any problems with it. Dave's oncologist put him on Paxil when he was diagnosed but it was doing strange things to him (can't remember what exactly now, but I think it was making him anxious) so he switched to Celexa and he's doing fine. Now, Dave Chapman is the last person you'd ever imagine needing an antidepressant, even with cancer, so I doubt he takes it for long. but me, well, let's just say "better living through chemicals." I just need them.

My two cents worth. I was so happy to read down the posts and see that The Duke is getting his pep back and taking you out to eat - what fun! That must feel like a trip to Europe for you about now!

I sure hope your sister does OK. I can't imagine how hard it is to not be able to go see her right now.

God Bless,

Karen C.

Ginny, neither Dave nor I have been on the boards much lately, not even lurking, so I am just seeing your post, but it really grabbed my attention. Mostly because you LOOK and SOUND like the most vivacious person EVER, so this lethargic-ness must be really driving you crazy!

It sounds to me like it's the Zoloft. I've heard that anti-depressants can do this, but I've especially heard this about Zoloft. I do know that you are never supposed to go cold turkey on any anti-depressant so cutting the Duke down to half a pill is a good approach, but please please talk to whatever doctor prescribed it and get their advice. I think the plan should be to taper him down and then start him on something else, but I don't know the best way to do that. Also, I've been on Celexa for probably five years now and I've never had any problems with it. Dave's oncologist put him on Paxil when he was diagnosed but it was doing strange things to him (can't remember what exactly now, but I think it was making him anxious) so he switched to Celexa and he's doing fine. Now, Dave Chapman is the last person you'd ever imagine needing an antidepressant, even with cancer, so I doubt he takes it for long. but me, well, let's just say "better living through chemicals." I just need them.

My two cents worth. I was so happy to read down the posts and see that The Duke is getting his pep back and taking you out to eat - what fun! That must feel like a trip to Europe for you about now!

I sure hope your sister does OK. I can't imagine how hard it is to not be able to go see her right now.

God Bless,

Karen C.

Oh, Karen jogged a memory string...

While weening off Zoloft, I was ramping up on a second drug - I THINK it was Wellbutrin, but I can't remember.... She wanted some overlap so there was SOME butt-kicking "relaxer" in my system and my heart didn't explode or my head implode...

Yeah, you SHOULD discuss any brain chemistry changing drug issues with the doctor that prescribed 'em. Don't want to scramble up that thinking process so he likes cold women and scotch on the heater... :wink:

Ginny,

after my recent experience with Zoloft my money is on the Zoloft as the culprit...that stuff made a bright, round world, dull gray and flat as a pancake! My friends and family kept asking me what was wrong with me. Glad to hear the Prince is waking up from his extended rest...now just make sure he understands he has to stay away from sloping topography!

Ahhhh....Prince Valium (I KNOW I'm not the only "SpaceBalls" groupie...) awaketh....

Now, I prefer the Shrek renditions of princesses, kissing and saving one's *ss to the "kiss of true love" that works on Disney princesses...ya gotta kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince, after all...

...as for that flat world, Zoloft made roller-coaster-like "Whoopie" into a kiddie slide "whee" at most... Not much to do BUT sleep when nookie ain't boot-knockin' anymore! :oops:

First, Snow you have to publish a dictionary here.

Second, the Duke had a great weekend but boy did he crash today.

Dizzy as can be this a.m. and throwing his guts up. Feeling better this p.m. but it's 5:00 and he is still in bed.

He is scheduled for an MRI of his head on Friday. He has always been dizzy since his brain stuff and the Dr. says will probably always be, but the VERY dizzy made me nervous.

So we are still on the seesaw but we have added a roller coaster.

We see his onc next Mon and will review the Zoloft although the thoracic surgeon said 'Most cancer patients are on an antidepressant' so I asked our GP to prescribe, not the onc.

You know how much I appreciate your help, you are my true cyper friends.

Ginny

Ginny-

Just when I was about to post giving thanks for the return of some normalcy to your life everything goes topsy-turvy again! I know you won't give up, so please let us know the upshot of your conversations with the docs. Love and Hugs.

Ginny,

First of all, whatever it is that The Duke has, I hope he gets over it REAL QUICK. In my book, vomiting and dizziness are about as bad as it can get. I know, I know, there's other stuff worse, so no mail please, but in other words, I hate that kind of sick more than anything, so I hope he gets better soon.

The other thing is, I hope you meant that Becky has to publish a dictionary called Becky's All American Dictionary of Snowflake Language because she told me she makes up words when she can't find one to fit. LOL!!! How many words does that girl know anyway? Geesh! A trillion gazillion I think!

Peggy

Ginny,

Just read your post. I am haapy to read the Duke is doing better and that your sister is out of the hospital. I don't know anything about these drugs, so I wouldn't be any help. Glad you were able to go out a few times to eat and enjoy life a little. You deserve it...

Blessings, prayers and hugs,

Karen