my sisters sclc - dx 2/04

i am so glad that i found this website both for myself and my sister. she's a 42 yr old, single mom with a 6yr old daughter. the statistics you hear about are so scary that i don't think we should listen to them. one of our brothers says we have to keep hope that she will be in the 15-20% survivors group; my sister has the best outlook of us all(thank god) in that she is adament she will beat it. so far, 4 chemo sessions of carboplatin/vp16 have already shrunk the lung tumor and affected lymphnodes. she started 33 treatments of radiation last week. can anyone give me some true hope to have more than 2-3 years with her? thanks for any positive reinforcement you can give me, and even if the results are not great still let me know how things went and how you are handling it. thanks- bev

Bev,

Welcome to tha family. No one can say how long a person has, including the Doctors. There are some folks on the board who are long term survivors and they give us ALL hope. I just recommend you LIVE life to the fullest! It sounds like your sisters Doctors have an aggressive plan in action and that is great!

My prayers are with you and you family!

God Bless,

MO

thanks for getting back to me so quickly...im wondering what PCI treatments are....my sister hasn't mentioned anything like that and neither did the oncologist we originally met with concerning treatment.

is this something she should question him about as something they might try on her? also, that's a great photo of you and grandson you posted.

Welcome Beverly,

I am so sorry you must be here, but you have found a wonderful group of caring people to help you and your sister through this difficult time.

You didn't say what type of LC your sister was diagnosed with. Treatments vary, depending on the type and stage of cancer. You can see from my signature that I have NSCLC, Stage IIIA (some infected lymph nodes in the mediastinum area). When I was diagnosed, I too was a single mother of a six year old little boy, so I can relate to the fear your sister is feeling right now. I completed treatment last June and so far, so good and I pray each day that I will stay in remission.

Statistics aside, your sister's positive attitude will serve her very well, as will aggressive treatment, eating healthy and exercising. It is important to have someone fighting for the best treatments and doing some research ~ it sounds as though you will be a wonderful advocate for your sister!

I would recommend a few books as you start this journey -- "There's no Place Like Hope" and "Beating Cancer with Nutrition".

Welcome again,

Heather :wink:

my sister has small cell lung cancer. she had been sickly( real tired and vomiting almost daily) since june of 2003 - her regular md told her it was from stress on the job! was hospitalized first in 12/03, again 1/03 and lastly in 2/03,( in 3 different hospitals!) where it was finally discovered it was cancer. although they thought originally it was lymphoma(due to enlarged lymphnodes just under lungs) further testing and biopsy came the final diagnosis of small cell with 1.5" tumor in chest wall. after the first 3 chemo treatments the tumor/lymphnodes showed extensive shrinkage in both; hopefully this will be the sign for us that she may beat it. i find it hardest to think of my niece, who is only 6 now, having to see her mom suffer and then to lose her. keep them in your prayers. thanks

Hello Beverly,

So sorry you had the need to find us, but I'm also glad you did. You'll find lots of support and information out right here. Stay with us!

I just had to add two cents here. Small Cell reacts VERY WELL to chemo and radiation. Your sister has a GREAT chance of beating this. I know of many SCLC patients that are LONG TERM SURVIVORS and are doing very well today. I see NO REASON why your sister won't be in Survial part of the statistic's. And while I'm at it. STAY AWAY FROM THOSE STATISTICS (they are ISHY and DEPRESSING)! They are very OUTDATED!!! They have lots of NEW Chemo's today that work very well on Lung Cancer, and the Stat's you are reading don't indicate what types of treatments these Statistics are talking about. So, POOF, make them go away!

Give your sister a hug and tell her she WILL BEAT THIS! Stay POSITIVE! If she can do it, by golly so can you my dear!

Connie, Is it just my browser, or did your post come through three times. Anyway, I got the message. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

WELCOME BEVERLY,

You are just going to be overwhelmed with all the love and support you are going to get here. Not only that, but you will get a lot of your questions answered, too, and hopefully fears squashed. So glad you find this site. I know I was.

God loves you,

Peggy

Welcome, Bev! Sorry your sister has to go through this. Her positive attitude will serve her well. There is always hope. My wife was given 9 months and she is almost 19 months out, with clear scans right now. We live each day and give thanks for each day. Give your sister all the positive support you can. Don

Hello Bev, statistics is the wrong way to look at this. Make the best of the time you have with your sister, it could be many years, you will only grow closer and stronger. It's surprizing how strong we actually are when hard tests come. Never give up hope.

Welcome Beverly,

My mom, too, was diagnosed with sclc at the end of Jan '04 so we are in the treatment phase. I'm glad you found this board. There are great people here with lots of realtime help and experience. Your sister is young and a fighter. She has a lot on her side. I'll be thinking of you both and including you in my prayers.

Welcome Beverly,

I have learned so much from the community here and feel very supported. The truth is everyone reacts differently to the cancer and to treatments. Just like my husband, I know your sister will battle the cancer well. So keep that positive attitude!

Beverly,

Welcome to the place no one wants to be. My brother was diagnosed with SCLC at age 38, and has a 2-year-old daughter, so I can relate, also. I hope it comforts you some to know that my brother (the rather strange but terrific DavidC) was diagnosed over a year ago, and has been finished with treatment since last fall, with no sign of disease. That doesn't mean it's a walk in the park, of course, but like your sister, he's got a great attitude and is a fighter. They both have a lot to live for. I will keep your sister in my prayers. Please come back and visit here often and keep us posted. You are welcome to send me a PM if ever you need a fellow sibling to lean on.

BeckyCW

Welcome Beverly,

I am terribly sorry that your family has been thrust into this battle. But hold onto hope and that positive attitude. There is every reason to have that hope because your sister can beat the odds and beat this disease.

When I first logged onto this site, I was looking for the same things you were. I wanted to see true stories of survivors, and reinforcement that it is possible. One of the first people I talked to was a member named Lynn whose father was diagnosed wth SCLC and was a 20 year survivor.

If that isn't something to inspire hope, well then, call me crazy because it gives me hope everyday thinking that I can be with my husband for 20 more years.

There is also one thing for you to remember. Do not believe those damn statistics. Like Connie said, those stats are outdated. They are based on observations over a ten year period. However, there have been more medical advances in LC in the last 3 years than in the last 20 combined, so those stats are really skewed negatively. The other thing to know, which our doctor told us when we were originally dx with SCLC is that the stats are based on the average patient. The average patient in those stats who has SCLC is between the ages of 55 and 70. Your sister is young and strong and can fight this mor aggressively.

I will be praying for you and your sister, may God bless you and touch your sister with his healing hand.

Carleen

You have come to a great place for support. Do not trust the stats...they are just that stats and we are all individuals..each in his/her own way will live as long as we are meant to....and we have much more help beating this than we used to have.

Nina