Mom has brain tumors

minnie

Finally got the results from my mother's brain MRI. She has three tumors on the left side of her brain. This is devastating news. She was doing so well for over a year. She was exercising, cooking, living life as normal.

She begins radiation and oral chemotherapy tomorrow. I was just planning on going home for three weeks. Just in time. I leave tomorrow. I am so afraid.

I just don't understand how this can sneak up so quickly. She had a chest X-ray a few months ago and her lungs were clear. There was nothing in her lungs. How can this be?

I'm just really distressed over this. I really hoped that it would be something less serious. Why does this have to happen?

Minnie

Minnie

I am so sorry to read about the news of your Mum's brain tumours. Of course you are scared and upset and you have every right to be. It must knock your socks of when things are going so well, and then you get some bad news. But, there seems to be so many people here who have had brain mets and had them successfully treated that and I really hope your Mum is another one. It is great that you are going home and can spend some time with your Mum. Please let us know how she goes with the treatment.

Sending you best wishes

Jana

xxx

Darn it, Minnie, I wish we knew why these things happen, but unfortunately we don't. They just do. You've heard the expression, "Why me?" The reverse of that is "Why NOT me?"

Just like the others said, though, just because the brain mets are there, it doesn't mean things still can't remain pretty much the same. My husband started out with 8 brain mets and is down to 4. He had WBR almost a year ago, and the Novalis to each individual tumor, and he is doing fine even with the 4 mets still there.

It will be ok. Really. If she was doing well yesterday, she's still doing well today, even though you know this test result. Take a great big deep breath, relax your shoulders and smile. It will be ok.

Love,

Peggy

Very similar to my Mom's case.......after a couple months of chemo her cancer went into remission and the CT Scan showed nothing, clear, no sign of nodules, so she actually stopped treatments for a while, but the cancer did return and thats when we discovered she had met's to the brain and liver. I do believe its more aggressive if the cancer returns, but definetely do the treatments and hang in there, some people do very well even though they have this situation. God Bless!!

Minnie,

It is never good news to be diagnosed with brain mets but there is some reason to be optimistic. She only has three brain mets and these can usually be eradicated with current technology of whole brain radiation and radiosurgery. She has the potential to do very well. If she has nothing in other organs and was very functional, that is more good news for her. It is not true that when cancer comes back it is more aggressive. In fact, one good sign is your mother has done well for a year making me think that the cancer might be less aggressive. Don't give up hope. You never know how things will go.

Robert Woodburn M.D.

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Minnie, I'm sorry to hear about the mets. I can imagine the shock considering how well she was doing. Darn that freaking beast of a disease. Here's a huge hope that the treatment will zing them. Prayers for you and your mom.

Cat

I've been home now for a few days and this is the first time I have had a chance to get to the computer. Thanks so much for the encouraging words.

We're going to see the radiologist in the morning. I thought radiation would start last week, but now there's some insurance issues. Doc wants her to have radiation and oral chemo, but insurance might not pay for the oral chemo. I still don't know what the name of the med is yet. I hope to find out more when I go with my mother to her appointment in the morning.

I really hope that all works out well. My sister's getting married in November and we were all pretty excited about it. I just hate how LC just takes the zest out of life, out of everything that we hope and dream for.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted on her progress. And thanks again so much for the kind words.

Minnie

Minnie,

I was a bit slow to read your post. Re: the brain mets - I really suggest you get more than one opinion. There are definitely strongly different philosophies about brain met tx. Get all the info (and be prepared for experts having opinions totally opposite) and then make your own informed decision. Good luck with the insurance - we all struggle with that one. Just keep at 'em. There has been research that shows that the more "vocal" (and thus often less popular) patient may live longer. I think you can do it in a friendly way - it's the persistence that counts.

Doc wants her to have radiation and oral chemo, but insurance might not pay for the oral chemo. I still don't know what the name of the med is yet. I hope to find out more when I go with my mother to her appointment in the morning.

Minnie

Some insurance companies won't pay for oral chemo if it's done outpatient. Sometimes, with the right doc, they'll admit a patient for a day or two for the course of the treatment. Insurance will usually pay for any drug administered "inpatient".....ridiculous, but true. I have dear friend that just went through treatment for brain cancer and that's what they ended up doing to avoid the huge pharmacy costs.

Good luck to you and your Mom. Prayers are with you.

Paige

Insurance approved the medication for my mom, though it was still terribly expensive. She began whole brain radiation Tuesday.

As for second opinions, she has seen a different radiologist and he agrees with the current course of treatment. I really appreciate the honesty of the doctors. They are not painting a rosy picture nor are they painting a dismal one. They are treating her aggressively and telling us that we'll have to see how this treatment goes.

I suppose I'm thankful really that they didn't put a number on the amount of time that my omther has to live. After all, statistics show she's not supposed to even be here now. I just hope that one again she can defy those statistics.

Thanks to all for the posts.

Minnie

I am glad you got things worked out with the insurance company about the meds. It sounds like your doctor has a good plan. There are many on this board that have had good results with brain mets and are months and years past the time of treatment. I hope your mom joins their number.

Nina