Blood clot

brm1949

Well, today I saw my ENT and got the results from the biopsy of my parotid gland.

Metastatic, moderatly differentiated necrotizing carcinoma to intraparotid lymph nodes (2 nodes).

Metastatic moderately differentiated necrotizing squamous cell carcinoma to lymph nodes adjacent to parotid gland (2 of 3 nodes).

Right parotid gland: No significant pathologic change.

Dr says a I will get low dose radiation once I heal in a couple of weeks.

After I left him , I noticed my left arm swell up when I used it for even the smallest task. Went saw my primary, he odered a ultrasound, found blood clot in left upper chest. Sent me to my onc, started me on lovenox injections and warfarin tablets. Said this is not uncommon with cancer patients, especially after surgery. Said once they get the warfarin level right I will probably be on it for the rest of my life. Thay are also setting up more scans and test. Has anyone else had blood clot problems?

O yes. Ask Shirley B . Her husband presented with clots before he even knew he had lung cancer. I have heard with clots from lung cancer you must use the heparin, Levonox, coumadin is not as affective. Donna G

Bruce,

I don't know a thing about blood clots, but I think maybe it was Andrea's mom that had blood clots. I could be wrong, but I know there's somebody else besides ShirleyB that Donna mentioned.

I wish I knew more so I could help you out a little, but I am still praying for you.

God bless,

Peggy

Bruce, I have had trouble w/ blood clots too since surgery.The lovenox takes care of the existing clots and the warfarin(coumadin) prevents future clots.In my case it has worked so far.And the self injected lovenox was only for 10 days.( your stomach will get all black and blue).Good luck w/ everything.

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Tina's husband, Charlie, had blood clot problems.

I recall when I was in ER a couple months ago - the doctor was telling the nurse that they'd have to do a CT scan on me as it was common for lung cancer patients to develop blood clots. I think he mentioned something to the effect of especially after radiation.

I'm not sure. I was in a lot of pain and not listening very well.

Hope this clears up for you and soon.

Cat

As Donna said I have read it is difficult to get the right dosage of coumidin compared to lovenox.

Your diet has to be watched more and your blood has to be monitored more with coumidin. It is difficult to keep the INR within range.

With lovenox the INR does not have to be monitored as closely.

Lovenox is more expensive and is given by injection vs Coumadin is given by pill

Bruce,

Donna is correct in that Randy had issues with blood clots on a major scale. The lovenox worked the best but it is expensive. Randy was on the warfarine tables also but that did not work as well for him. I also have read the articles about heperin(sp) being used and it does help in the fight with cancer. Rinksgal's partner has had blood clots also but he had a very positive outcome with his.

My only advise is to make sure you report any changes whatsoever as soon as possible. Talk to your doctor about what is going on. Read up on the diet issues. You don't want to change your diet too much but there are certain foods to avoid and others that you want to take more of. It has to do with the vitamin K levels. But talk to your doctor first before making any major changes in your diet because of the blood clots.

Our experience with the blood clots were very dramatic. At one point Randy had 17 in one leg at one time. That caused a five day hospital stay alone. It is critical to watch for any changes. Report any swelling immediately to your doctor for evaluation.

Best of luck to you Bruce. You have my prayers.

Shirleyb

Bruce,

I had a CT scan to see how my Chemo was working and they found a Blood clot in my lung. I am also on cumatin (sp) and my Onoc said the same thing that I will have to be on it for the rest of my life. The good news is they cought the clot before it broke loose. Consider your self lucky they cought it before that happened. My last scan shown the clot was gone. But I still have to stay on the blood thinners. Taking the blood thinners is not a big thing. No side effects.

Good luck my friend.

As Cat said, I am a blood clot expert. You are welcome to PM me with specific questions. I will give some information as follows:

Cancer causes your blood to thicken resulting in the clots. My husband developed blood clots first and then was diagnosed with the LC. He was given Lovenox shots and started on coumadin (warfarin is the generic name). When on coumadin you have to watch your intake of green vegetables especially spinach (Vit. K). It messes up your coumadin levels. You have to have frequent blood testing to start with until your coumadin level is in the proper range.

My husband clotted through the coumadin and had to switch to Innohep. Innohep is a low molecular weight heparin and is given the same way as Lovenox (daily injection in stomach). The dr. thinks it is better than Lovenox for some reason. Heparin is the basis for all of the "liquid" medications and is what they give by IV in the hospital when someone gets a clot.

Charlie just had a very bad blood clot in his arm and they put a hot moist heating pad on it to help with the swelling.

Hope this wasn't too much for you. If you have specific questions, I will be happy to help. Take care.

Bruce

I am sorry I missed your post until today. I have not been on the board as often as I was as I was feeling quite depressed. I am sorry about your problems but know nothing about blood clots but I did want to say that I pray for you and hope things will get better for you soon.

God Bless You,

Jane

Bruce,

I, too, am late in respondiing to this post. My apologies.

I am grateful that you noticed the swelling in your arm and immediately went to the doctor. As I have no knowledge in this area, all I can contribute are my best wishes.

I am so glad to read that you are in less pain. May that decrease and leave you pain-free!

Melinda

I'm so glad you're doing better. It never rains but it pours. Just when you're going along and things seem fine, there's always something new going wrong. I swear every time I go to the doctor they give me a new disease to add to the list. The last time it was asthma and the blood pressure was too high. Well I went today and I didn't get any new ones so I'm happy. Hope you continue to improve.

Sharon

Bruce, my mom had a blood clot too, hers was before surgery (during chemo time). My dad gave her shots in her tummy and she is still on the c umadin. She also had the filter in ehr log installed. But it really gave her no problem :)