Good News but have ??

SJAS

Hello All,

First, I want to apologize for not keeping up with things lately. My work hours have tripled and so I only get to the board infrequently for very short periods. I do try to at least read some of the "hot" news.

As for the Good News... Steve received very good results on the chest/abdomen/pelvis CT and brain MRI, and his bilirubin is almost back to normal!! Everything seems to be going in the right direction and he seems to be tolerating the Iressa fairly well. He is seeing an acupuncturist about the severe peripheral neuropathy in both feet (any suggestions welcome - we're already doing the B complex), but I'm not sure she will be able to help it.

We really are very grateful for his improved health and I feel almost guilty for this concern, but I need your advice. We live in a pretty rural area (no public transit whatsoever), and Steve has pretty much been unable to drive since this all began. Now his onc. says that anyone who has ever had brain mets should never drive again. Steve has had no neurological symptoms, no seizures at all. He has worked his entire life, and the last 15 years in a corporate environment. He really needs to get out and would at least like to do some volunteer work in town. He said he feels like he is under house arrest. Since I am back to working very long hours and the kids are back in school, Steve desperately needs something to get him out of the house and away from cancer. Can you tell me what your doctors' opinions are about the issue of driving once you have been successfully treated for brain mets? We would really appreciate your input. Steve certainly doesn't want to put anyone at risk, but we are wondering if this is more of a doctor concerned about possible liablity. Thanks for any help :D

Joyce,

First, glad the report was good, good, good news.

Wow, never thought of the driving. Earl was dx'd with lc because he had seizures from a brain met. Had brain surgery, WBR and no one ever told him not to drive.

Now when I think about it, our daughter has epilepsey (only 1 grand mal) and she lost her license for 1 year. That was 17 years ago, thank God.

Earl did not feel comfortable driving for the 1st year but did drive for a short period of time last summer.

There are many here that have or had brain mets. Let's hear what they have to say.

hi joyce,

i'm so happy to hear that steve's health is steadily improving. i pray that the iressa works wonders for his health.

as for feeling guilty; there really is no need whatsoever! your husband wants to enjoy life, and there is no need to feel any negative feelings about that!

i don't know too much about the doc's advice...my mom is currently going through wbr, but her onco/rad didn't say anything about her not being able to drive in the future. i think that it really depends on each individual and how he/she tolerates the treatments. i think that your husband's doc was generalizing a bit too much, but i can see why he'd be a little concerned. i have heard of people who have had wbr who are doing remarkably well years later (i.e. my mom's rad told us about a laywer who had wbr who continues to do his job). i think that you should talk to your husband's doc and ask specifically why he feels that way. and you should definitely get second, third, etc. opinions (i'm sure that more people will respond to your post with their own experiences). and i think that you and your husband will ultimately be the best judges to see what he is capable of doing (i'm praying that the sky's the limit!).

i pray for the best for you and your family. you have certainly helped me through my mom's decision to get wbr, and i appreciate your advice and frankness. take care.

God bless,

mj

As you know, I am considering having wbr done. I work part-time about 45 miles away (one way) from my house 3 days a week. I have made it very clear to all involved that I intend to work throught the entire wbr procedure (here's hoping). I have spoken to 2 radiation oncologists, my medical oncologist, and my neuro-oncologist. Only one of the radiation oncologist expressed some concern but said if my medical oncologist was ok with it, he would also.

I also have had two gamma knife procedures. Two days after the first gamma knife, I drove to Connecticut with only my son in the car with me. This drive is about 2.5 hours from our home.

While I know that everyone's situtation is different, I would certainly question the advice or seek another opinion. We survivors need to be able to live with cancer and not cancer living our lives.

Great news on the Iressa - it is a great drug - I pray that he gets long duration on it.

As Ginny said, the usual rule is no driving one year after a seizure. Since he hasn't had a seizure he should be able to drive. Have him practice first to make sure he can adjust to the neuropathy. I have a friend that was in a terrible car accident and does not have much feeling at all in her feet...you don't even want to know how this woman drives a car... :roll:

Rochelle

So glad to hear that your husband is doing well. After reading some of the responses I guess it depends on your doctor and maybe even the overall prognosis of the patient. We lost my Dad last Fall to lung cancer with mets to the brain. When they found the tumors in his brain he had 11 pin head size which rapidly increased to 16. From the moment the tumors were found they told Dad he had to stop driving and would probably never be able to drive again. But, by the time Dad was diagnosed and the tumors were found it was too late for them to do alot to help him. Neither radiation or chemo worked. So, in Dad's case maybe the doctor knew that Dad never had a shot at getting better to the point where he would ever be able to drive again. I know their big concern was seizures (but, they did have Dad on anti-seizure medicine). Good luck to you and your husband and I hope he will soon be able to drive soon and regain some of his independence.

Joyce,

We were told no driving also. The reason, though, is understandable. The doctors have to tell you this to protect themselves, and I don't blame them. If there would be an accident, whether the brain mets had anything to do with it or not, as soon as the adverse side in a lawsuit found out there were brain mets (which they will), they would be deposing the doctor and asking him if he told the patient it was ok to drive. If they could prove any percentage of fault could be attributed to the brain mets, and the doctor said it was ok to drive, then the doctor can be brought into the suit and possibly be held liable. It would be VERY difficult to prove that the brain mets did NOT contribute somehow, either directly or from treatment, and I think it would be difficult to convince a jury otherwise. I think doctors are wise to caution against driving. Even if the patient continues to drive, which most do, he has protected himself.

This is opinion only, not to be taken as legal advice in any context, including driving or liability issues.

Peggy

Joyce,

I had a brain met and it was surgically removed in April 2004. My nuerosurgeon said it was OK to drive. In fact a week after my surgery I was driving. It all depends on the individual. I also had stereotactic radiation treatment June 2004. I give all the credit to my Lord that I have been cured, blessed and able to get back to normal. God Bless us all, believe, stay strong and keep a positive attitude...

Prayers,

Karen

Glad your husband is doing well. Great news! I agree with others that the onc has to cover his derriere and could not give your husband permission. I think it is very important that your husband have something constructive to do and, for me, that is the primary consideration. As someone suggested, if you take a trial run with him and see that his reaction times, alertness, etc are okay, I say, go for it.

When Lucie got off chemo last year and started feeling well, I thought it was important for her to be able to drive short distances as it gave her a feeling of normalcy and gave her things to do for herself. She has been on morphine ever since chemo, but it is the lowest dose that can cover the spinal pain. She started out with just trips around the block until I felt comfortable with her driving. At first, she was a little awkward, not having driven for months, but she came around to her usual good driving in a short time.

Now that she is back on chemo, she is not driving. But as soon as the treatment is over and she feels up to it, I will let her drive again. It gives her something she can do for herself, once I feel she has good reflexes and alertness. She does not drive long distances, as it is too tiring on her.

Find a way to get your husband involved in meaningful activity. That is so important to good mental health. Best to you. Don

I ditto on what Peggy said, doctors need to cover themselves. I have a vague memory of a similar issue when I started working where there was an accident, and the person was either on medication or had seizures or some medical issue and the dr did not restrict the person from driving, so the injured party not o nly sued the driver, but sued the doctor. Maybe to check out a second dr opinion to be sure? I hope he gets out and about and can drive!!!

Just my two cents...my dad's oncologist said the same thing...no driving once there is brain mets. He said that there is a risk, albeit small, that something could happen while he was driving and he said that it just wouldn't be worth the risk. In fact, that very morning of his appt. there was a terrible accident in Pensacola involving a driver that had a seizure and unfortunately, it involved numerous fatalities. Even though my Dad's brain mets were tiny (under 1 mm), he still said no on the driving issue.

I agree with Peggy (as usual)!

Cheri

Hi Joyce!

Glad to hear your husband is doing well.

My husband has neuropathy of the feet and hands from taking "Taxotere". He aready had a little trouble with one leg, ( from the stroke he had five years ago, ) however he is now having to use a cane to get about. The Dr. suggested that he take a medication, (I think) it was called "Neurantin" or something like that, (it is sometimes used for folks who have siezures.) Anyway he opted not to take it because it can cause thinning of the blood and Dave is already on Coumadin. I wonder if your husband could ask his doc. about this. Best of luck. Paddy