could use some prayers

MJ

hi everyone (sorry about the long post in advance!),

i think my family is feeling completely wiped out. :cry: my mom is back home from the hospital, but i had to take her in again today (to the er) 'cause she had a slight headache, and i'm paranoid 'cause she's on comadin (i'm sure paddy can empathize...my poor mom's arms have also seen too many needles). the ct scan showed "no change" so she is allowed to use the meds to treat the blood clots in her lungs. the pneumonia and urinary tract infection seem to be under control (she has 6 more days of antibiotics), but she has lost so much weight during the past 1 1/2 months and still feels nauseated (i'm hoping it's just due to the antibiotics; she's had that experience before). she also has an eye infection in her left eye. today is my brother's birthday and the day before was my father's, but we are too stressed out and tired to celebrate.

however, in between it all, i'm still feeling very blessed in so many ways. so many of the nurses/friends/family members have been so kind and helpful. my mom hasn't had a fever in a few days, and she's off o2 (back up to 93-95%; her levels were down to 86%, even with o2 at times). even though she feels weaker, she still gets up out of her bed to go to the restroom with assistance. she hasn't experienced any pain (except for the slight headache this morning), and she sleeps really well. my mom received a blood transfusion the other day with no complications (i knew that i donated blood before for a reason, even with my fear of needles :) ). we have a home care nurse who will be administering my mom's antibiotics daily (and checking b/p and blood levels). i feel so fortunate to have all of these blessings, and i thank God everyday, but it's so hard to balance all the fear, anxiety, sadness, etc. that i also feel simultaneously.

my family could really use your prayers. i'm especially worried about the blood clots/comadin use (on top of everything else). my father and brother don't really realize how serious that is (they basically leave all the medical stuff to me...the "baby" of the family). i thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. they mean so much to me and my family.

God bless,

mj

Dear MJ,

So sorry to hear that you and your Mom have more than your share of problems. Keeping those coumadin levels correct can be so very difficult, it really is quite scary. We still have no idea why David's blood became so thin so suddenly, even his Oncologist isn't sure.

Do hope you will be feeling much more able to cope soon. Prayers coming to you and your Mom and family. Love, Paddy.

thanks so much everyone for your support. it's been quite a difficult few weeks, but your prayers mean so much.

i've been logging on more often lately, hoping to read really good news from you all. paddy, i'm so glad that your family is so supportive. please let me know what you think of my pm when you get more info too. addie, i'm so glad that you found the love of your life - ned. denise, thank you so much for all of your support. geoff/melinda, i'm praying for you everyday, and i'll give you a call soon. oncodoc/dr. joe, you are so amazingly helpful and kind. i'm so sadden by cat's departure from the board...i hope that she returns feeling uplifted really soon. and to everyone else (i haven't forgotten you all :D), i hope that you all have really good news to post soon.

my mom is resting comfortably at home. she ate a little more today than she has in the past week, so i am very happy. i can't believe how i used to overlook all the small blessings in life. she is still on her antibiotics for the next few days. i'm hoping that she starts getting her appetite back after she is done (she's had nausea probs before when she took antibiotics). i'm worried about her p/t levels since she has started using warfarin. she's using 3 mg a day (increased from 2 mg today since her p/t didn't show therapeutic levels). she's supposed to get blood tests every friday. the veins in her arms have been poked so much that the docs have trouble finding one to tap. :cry: can anyone give me advice on coumadin/warfarin use? also, she's started to complain about pains in her lower back when she lies or sits down for long periods of time, specifically the bone supporting her spinal column. i'm paranoid about bone mets, but she has also lost a lot of weight and doesn't have as much "padding" there as she used too. when i massage her, the pain goes away temporarily. i know that she has to regain her strength/weight to start on any type of meds/treatments, so that has been my primary concern. ho hum. :cry: sorry to keep requesting prayers, but i have realized that that is the best weapon that we have against this illness.

thank you once again for everything...gotta get some zzzzs.

God bless,

mj

hi everyone,

my family could really use some prayers right now...my mom has been home from the hospital for almost two weeks. she is done with her antibiotics, so we are hoping that they kicked the pneumonia/urinary tract infection out of her system. she is on coumadin (blood "thinner"), so a home care nurse has to come and draw blood regularly for tests. but it's been so hard because she has been tapped so many times that her veins just collapse at the sight of a needle. she started having really bad headaches the day before yesterday, so she was put back on dexamethasone (steroid), and she is diabetic (due to the steroids that she received in the hospital). the radiologist/oncologist believe that she'll need more brain radiation because they think the headaches are being caused by edema (she had wbr done about 1 1/2 months ago), but they are hesitant to do more ct/mris right now 'cause she had so many done during her time at the hospital recently (so we also don't know what's going on with the blood clots in her lungs). and they don't want to do any sort of treatment 'til they get those tests, but my mom is so weak right now. my mom has moments when i almost think she doesn't really recognize me...it's like she knows who i am, but she doesn't have the emotional capacity to really show me how she feels. i don't know how to explain...i know that she is really weak physically, but i'm afraid that the wbr really caused some damage. but there are these moments that make me think otherwise. for example, today, we had a new home care nurse, and my mom remembered her name throughout the whole visit (i practically forgot), and she even noticed from afar that the nurse has really long pretty eyelashes. my mom doesn't even have 20/20 vision, but she is pretty meticulous with details. it did surprise me when she complimented the nurse on her eyelashes though. i'm so grateful to God that she is still with us with such a fighting spirit, and we've had so many people coming over to pray with us that it's been amazing. it's just so hard to see her struggling to feed herself among other things 'cause she is such a strong independent lady who has always taken care of everyone else. i have put all my faith in God to get us through this...i guess that is why i keep asking you guys for prayers. i thank you all for your well wishes. they do help tremendously.

God bless,

mj

MJ....

Keeping you and your mom in my thoughts. Your mom sounds like she's a fighter and tough as all this is....that's a real plus!

I had a thought while reading your update...and maybe this is commenting on the obvious...but are you giving Mom a protein drink? Something like Ensure or that protein powder stuff from GNC? (Can't think of the name of it...but it's something like Protein 2000). With the weight loss she's had, it's bound to have an impact...and it struck me that perhaps some sort of protein boost would do her some good!?

I'll continue to send my best thoughts and vibes Mom's way AND yours, MJ. Keep us posted and I hope there are better days ahead for your mom.

thanks guys! always knew that i could count on all of you for some uplifting. :D

addie, i have been giving my mom protein drinks up the whazoo (poor thing hates the stuff...she's not really into sweets). i've given her boost, boost plus, ensure, ensure plus, prosure, glucerna, resource, etc. you name it. she's beginning to eat more now that she's on dexamethasone, so that's really good. it's just hard to discern whether she's just plain weak and tired or if she really can't think clearly at times. maybe a little bit of both. but she's doing a better this morning, now that she has started to eat a little more. thank you all so much for your prayers and well wishes. i'll keep you updated.

God bless,

mj

MJ--

I wish I had sage words to send -- or could push a button to deliver cyber-strength to you!

You--and your family--are going through such a difficult time. I am so sorry that you are all having to go through this.

Is the "baby" of the family finding any time to take care of herself? You have so much on your plate right now and I am worried not only about your mom--but you. It's easy to remind you to take care of yourself--harder to put into action, however, I know. I am the pot calling the kettle black on this issue! :) Seriously, though, are you able to get any sleep? I know that recently my own sleep patterns have been a complete mess...

One thing I thought of re: your mom's history of reactions to antibiotics (nausea, etc) was: ask your mom's doctor if it would be okay to give her some Acidophilus. The antibiotics she has been taking have (I hope!) knocked out the bacteria they were meant to target, but--in the process--they also knock out a lot of "good" bacteria that we need to keep our bodies running. One of the common side effects of not having the "good" bacteria you need when on a course of antibiotics is nausea. Acidophilus can help rectify this.

Here are some links about Acidophilus:

http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA83786/

http://health.yahoo.com/ate/drweil/alld ... 4/20040409

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/s ... 48,00.html

I am not a doctor--so please consult with one before putting your mom on anything--but have seen this work wonders. I take it anytime I am put on anitbiotics. Once again, though--I am not a doctor.

Please wish your dad and brother happy belated birthdays for me and I wish for you to be able to rest, and have the help you need to take care of both yourself and your mom.

Melinda

hi everyone,

it's been an especially hard week...katie, thanks so much for asking, by the way. my mom was hospitalized on monday because she had hemorrage in the brain due to the coumadin/warfarin. the doctors basically said there is really nothing much that they can do, so they discharged her today. she is under hospice care at home now (we came home about 6 hours ago). it's so hard, as a lot of you already know. geoff/melinda have been such a tremendous help...i can't thank you guys enough. i'm still holding on to my faith, grasping onto it 'cause it's really what i'm depending on right now. you guys on the site are so helpful too. i'm plain scared, exhausted, and lonely...it's a very hard time. thanks so much for listening...i know that if there were a "magic" button, you all would've pressed it for me already.

God bless,

mj