An update on Paddy and David

K and Kids

This is a second hand report based on my coversation with Mom yesterday early morning.

Dad is still very weak and needing a great deal of physical help. Mom says as long as they don't have to make a Dr's appointment and get out of the house she is able to handle this. It just take Dad forever to do something because he has to stop and rest inbetween even the simplest tasks. This has got to be so hard to watch.

At Dad's appointment earlier this week the Oncologist wanted to do another Thorocentisis(sp?) ASAP. He called to schedule it for that day or the next and found that the doctor doing the procedure is totally booked up and won't be able to do it until Thursday next week. I understand that I am not a medical professional but this does not seem right to me. Mom says that Dad is waking up at night and sitting on the side of the bed trying to catch his breath. She said she may have to call and tell them to figure out a way to get this done. The doctor also ordered oxygen for home and it was to be set up yesterday. From what I gather the main unit is placed in a central location in the house and then Dad can move around as he needs to from room to room. I hope this helps.

Dad is now taking an appetite stimulant so hopefully he will find it easier to eat. This has been a big problem and I am sure it contributes to the weakness. There is just too much going on for the poor guy and he is being a real trooper. Mom appologized for being a baby and venting about the situation and I told her that she had every right to vent and she was NOT in anyway being a baby. This is what it is and they are both handling it the best way they know how. I am so proud of them and so sad that they have to be dealing with this horrible situation.

Thanks for your continued prayers. We sure feel them.

Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for your post. I sent you a PM last night because I didn't want to bother Paddy knowing she is so busy.

I am happy to hear that your dad is getting in-home oxygen. My dad was on that for several years, 24/7, and he really did well with it. He could leave the house and switch to a portable for a short period of time, though. The in-home unit that he had was very easy to maintain - we just had to keep a little bottle that was attached to it filled with distilled water, and change the hoses periodically. He also had a couple of backup units in case there was a power failure. He only had to use them one time. The company that provides the unit will take care of all the rest. The hoses are so long, your dad will be able to move about the entire house, but just be careful he or no one else trips over the hose.

Is there any chance your mom could call the onc and see about getting your dad on at least a low dose (2-4 mg.) of decadron to help with the breathing?

I'm sorry you have to be so far away from your mom and dad and hope that you are dealing with everything ok. I know from my experience with my dad that it was so hard on my brother and sisters to be so far away.

Please tell your mom and dad that I have been thinking about them and praying for them every single day.

Love,

Peggy

Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for the post and the update on your Dad. I pray for them everday..

It is worrisome to have to sit on the side of the bed to breathe. When I told the doctor that I was doing that he wanted to see me right away because he thought it could be my heart. And sure enough it was.

So glad that your family takes good care of each other.

My prayers continue.

Cindi o'h

Karen,

Would you receive a quicker response if you took your Dad to the emergency room? Sometimes starting there gets faster results. I'm not sure if your comfortable with taht but it may be worth a try. Good luck & I pray your Dad feels relief soon.

Rachel

Karen, Thanks so much for updating us on your Mom and Dad. I am keeping them in my prayers too.

Bob has ox. also, and it works fine for him. He has the portable as well and can go out with it. Sure hope it helps and that he can get the treatment he needs quicker than next week.

Love

Nell

Karen,

It was good to get an update on your folks, I pm'd your Mom the other day.

I think that it is AWFUL your Dad has to wait until next Thursday... I agree that maybe a trip to the ER would push this procedure into high gear. Dad shouldn't have to suffer like this for another week if there is something they can do to give him comfort!! I will keep your family in my prayers - from one daughter to another.. God Bless you, I know its so hard!! Love, Sharon

Thank you so much for your prayers.

I was just on the phone with my sister and she had heard from Mom in the last couple hours. Dad was taken to the emergency unit and had a large amount of fluid drained. The word is that he is not doing well. I am not sure whether it was the emergency room docs. or his oncologist who said that the daughters should be called ... but that is what happened. Mom had gone home briefly to get some things and was returning to the hospital as they were trying to find him a bed. I am not sure what the plan is but I know Mom wants him home if the verdict is to do no more.

I know you will continue to keep Mom, Dad and our family in your thoughts and prayers. Things are so up in the air and I feel (as my sister does) pretty helpless at this point. I will try to update you as soon as I know more.

with all our love and thanks,