Update from last night's post

Angie Daughter of Bill

I took Dad for radiation on his spine and hip today. Before we got there, I called ahead to say that we would be seeing the doctor today. (see, if you say we ARE going to see the doctor instead of CAN we see the doctor, it doesn't give them an option :wink: ) Saw the radiation oncologist, actually his associate who handles symptoms, side effects, etc. when the radiation onc. is out of the office. He seemed pretty sure that Dad had some degree of dehydration. When he did the little "skin pinchy thingy" (don't you love my technical terms??), Dad's skin was slightly sluggish to snap back. Not too bad though. So from there we are sent upstairs to see the medical oncologist. He suspected dehydration also. (not bad he said) His words were, "We're going to hydrate you, but I suspect that some of the things you are experiencing are tumor related." (read progression of the disease :cry: ) Oh yeah, Dad had lost nine pounds in a little less than two weeks. That's 21 pounds in about seven weeks. NOT good. Not good at all.

We thought that the fluid would only take 30 minutes or so. WRONG! There was potassium in that bag of fluids. It had to be infused slowly......over four hours. My Dad was fit to be tied after the first two hours. Actually, he got down right rude. (rudeness is waaaay out of character for my Dad) When the nurse came to check on him, she asked if he was o.k. He said that NO he wasn't o.k. His back was hurting and he pretty much felt like sh** and he was ready to go home. Of course she said that he needed to finish the fluids. He snapped back that he "COULD REFUSE THE FLUIDS". Poor nurse. I went over and talked to her after I got Dad settled. I explained just how bad he was feeling and how long we had been there. We were at the cancer center from 8AM until 3:30PM. What a tiring day for Dad. (and myself)

Dad is getting an MRI of the brain, a chest CT and abdominal CT on Wednesday. He will be getting the results on Friday. Of course he still has radiation treatments to complete every day this week also. Poor thing.

So for now, there is hope that he was dehydrated and he will feel better in a day or two. But, the oncologist was pretty clear that he thought some of this was due to progression of the disease. I will let you all know what we find out. Please continue to remember my family in your prayers. Much love to all!!

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie

Angie,

I was off to bed, but decided to check here one last time before I went. I'm glad I did. I'm glad your dad got the fluids, but sorry that this is all so difficult for him. I know it must be hard to see him being so cranky when you don't know him like that at all. It must be terribly frustrating for him, though, to have to go through all this.

I'll say some extra prayers for good results on his scans. You hang in there kiddo. It sounds like you are feeling a little better today yourself. The tone of your message just sounds a little better to me, even if he did have a crappy day. At least you got some info, some treatment and got the ball rolling to get some clear answers.

Have a good night's rest, Angie!

Love,

Peggy

Angie.

Glad he got some fluids going in...even if it was a rough day. Hope that he gets some rest tonight and that the doctors are wrong with the disease progression theory... hey! they have been known to be wrong before.... I guess it is now just wait and see.

Sorry this is so draining. You are doing a great job with your daddy.

All my prayers are going to my lc friends and families tonight.

Thank you.

Cindi o'h

Angie,

It does sound like a rough day for your dad. I sure hope the fluid works wonders for his stamina. Prayers are being said as I type that the tests results will be good and that the fluids every so often will "fix" the ways he feels so badly. Radiation can really take a toll on anyone and that will take a few weeks to get better, but as long as he is hydrated he will feel better than he has. I am thinking of all of you. I admire your relationship with your dad. You have done a great job of looking after him .

Nina

Angie

Glad your dad was able to get fluids. I kow they always helped mom feel better. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers this week, while he continues the radiationa dn goes thru all the scans tomorrow. I know Friday must seem like forever away to you. Try to get some rest yourself, as I am learning, we have to take care of ourselves in order to take care of our loved ones.

God Bless You

Kim

Angie -

Glad the fluid issue is dealt with...now praying for good scans on Wednesday. My Dad gets incredibly nasty now too with the nurses... (totally out of character also) I think they are just tired of feeling like cr__ and take it out on whomever is in direct "aim"at the time. Thinking of you.... Sharon

Angie...your dad is so lucky to have you! I'm sorry it's been such a tough time for you lately...but hope that Dad getting rehydrated helps him to feel better, and in turn...you too!

Everyone fighting this awful disease should have an Angie on their team....as the loving support you provide to your dad can make all the difference. Maybe it helped too, that your dad got a little of his frustration out the other day....eh? :wink:

Wishing you better days ahead and sending all positive thoughts your way.