Alimta Reload Today

CharlieD

Traveled to Roswell Park yesterday due to Lake Effect Snow Storm to be there early today to get my second Alimta Chemo Treatment. Went well and quick, 30 minutes total to include pre-meds. Feel the steriods kicking in now but feel great. The first go around was fine after the first 4 or 5 days. Had some nausea/heartburn/acid reflux and general lack of appetite but it went away and my breathing seemed to improve quite a bit. Have a slight rash, not bothersome at all. Now, I just hope and pray it is working. Got a cat scan Wed that will tell the story.

Just an update that will hopefully be of use to those of you on Alimta and those considering it. Will keep you posted. Hang tough everybody and God Bless.

CharlieD

Charlie,

I so much appreciate these updates about Alimta. If Iressa stops working for my husband, Alimta is next, so I've been paying close attention to everyone's updates that is getting this new chemo.

I'm so glad it's been tolerable for you, and will pray for great scan results.

Love,

Peggy

Hi Charlie,

I just want to say Iam so glad that it is going well for you. I can't imagine the anticipation you went through waiting to get your treatment.

Keeping my fingers crossed the other ones will go the same.

Maryanne

Charlie D,

Here's wishing you the best for round 2 of Alimta , and Beth you are coming up on round 2 also. Mike has had 4 rounds so far and will go for round 5 on Monday. As you know , he had pretty good results from the first 3 rounds... stable with some improvement. The only side effects he has had are tiredness and a slight rash. The tiredness seemed to increase with each dose, but he says he can handle tiredness. He will go for round 5 and possibly round 6 if all is going well. Scans would be done again in April. He has had one little setback this week, which we are working through. He was gradually starting to retain fluid and also his blood pressure was building up. His doctors ordered an echocardiogram for his heart and blood tests to test for kidney function . Both tests came back normal. They think the fluid retention is due to steroid build up. It also was causing him to have increased shortness of breath. The doctor has put him on a strong diuretic and potassium. After only 2 days of that taking the diuretic, he is less tired, not as short of breath and his blood pressure seems to be coming down.

Sooo, if all goes well, he will go for treatment #5 , Monday the 7th. Go get 'em Alimtians. :wink: Prayers for the best. Keep us informed. Charlie let us know about your scans.

Sue

Charlie,

So glad to hear your progress w/Alitma is going well. I was wondering if you have the same problems with low blood counts on Alitma, like Taxol and Taxotere?? It doesn't sound like it! :) You are strong and I know this will work for you.

Will be watching for your post next week about scans. It's good that you already noticed your breathing was better!

TAnn

Hi Charlie,

I am so glad to hear you are doing well on the Alimta! I am also on Alimta...I go for my third treatment tomorrow, and I have also tolerated it well, with just a bit of a rash, fatigue and nausea for about a week after each treatment. Nothing that Compazine can't take care of! I haven't posted on these boards in along time, but I hope to be more active on here now. Good luck with your treatments! Prayers and hugs,

:) Shauna