Results - Mixed emotions

stand4hope

We got results today, and at least 1/2 of the plan. The bad news is that largest tumor in the brain has grown some, as well as one of the small ones, and there is some increased edema.

The largest tumor is plus or minus 2 cm. The good news is that the onc doesn't think the growth is significant enough at this time to take any action, and especially since hubby has no symptoms or discomfort. He said, of course, to let him know if he starts to have headaches or any symptoms. He doesn't want to do stereotactic radiosurgery on them again at this time. I would assume (although we didn't ask) that his reasoning for this is that they can probably only be zapped one more time, so it would be better to wait and see and do it only if necessary.

The lung scan shows that the moderate pericardial effusion has graduated to large. D*@#!!!! He is deferring treatment for that to the primary oncologist that we will see on Friday. The primary onc has said in the past that if it got worse he would send him to a cardiologist to see about getting it drained. But then again, the onc today said they might want to just watch it real close before doing this invasive procedure since he doesn't have any symtoms with it either.

The rest of the CT report referred, again, to the extensive bone metastatic lesions (thoracic and lumbar vertebra, pelvic and sacral). Everything else is unchanged.

While we are not happy with the new growth, we are still somewhat pleased. First of all, we thought the results could have been a lot worse. The second reason is because the onc didn't think these changes were significant enough to stop Iressa and go to yet another chemo. We might get another opinion from the primary onc on Friday, but we are pretty set in our minds to stick with Iressa. My husband does not want to do more chemo, especially now. He really wants to spend some time on his motorcylce this spring since he missed out on that last spring because of treatment. I want that for him, too.

Love to all,

Peggy

P.S. By the way, the report they faxed to me that said things had "shrunk" was the March 2004 report. :roll:

Well...I hope the primary oncologist has a rabbit up his sleeve... :P . You know, you might want to consider now switching to the Tarceva since he has had some growth on the Iressa. Our onc said we wouldn't lose anything by switching to Tarceva and may even gain. Just a thought. I hope you get some answers on Friday. Good luck and keep us posted.

Peggy,

I love your attitude, and you are right, the results could have been much worse. I like Ry's suggestion of asking about Tarceva, maybe that can help keep things more stable.

Best wishes to you and looking forward to hearing the report from the next appointment.

Hey Peggy.

You're right. Doesn't sound all bad. Boy, do you ever have a tough husband! He is a tough nut to crack!

Hope that his wish does come true and that he can take that bike for a spin this Spring.

You sound good.

Must be all that tubo prayin' you've been doing.

Cindi o'h

Oh Peggy, darn - I was greedy and wanted all your news to be good, but we get what we get I guess. You both have such a great outlook on everything and attitude counts for so much. We postponed Steve's doctor appt. for the scans report until Tues because I'm going out of town for work for a few days and I don't want him getting news without me - either good or bad. Sounds like a second opinion might be helpful. I read some reports on combining Iressa with Avastin to block some of the mutation, so we might ask about doing that too.

Humm, I thought that stereotactic could be redone several times. Am I wrong about that?

Peggy, your right,things could be worse however I was so hoping for better results for both of you.It sounds like you are both mabe a little like me.I always am up beat and hoping for the best but at the same time prepared for the worse.

That way no matter what they tell me I can handle it.My hopes and best wishes for both of you at Fri. meeting with the onc.

well, darn it all, although you have the right attitude, but if SCLC had grown at all it's scary, I guess NSCLC is slower and easier to just watch, so my first reaction is a SCLC reaction, but after thinking about it, it's not so bad. I'd think about getting that percardial effusion drained, you know, Dave had that, and had the window done - and a thoracic surgeon did his, not a cardiologist (although I can't see what difference it would make) but it's not a bad procedure at all and Dave felt so much better after it was done, he didn't realize how bad he felt.

I like Ry's idea of switching to the Tarceva.

Hang in there, sounds like you are!

God Bless,

Karen

Peggy, dear....if attitude were a cure, we'd be infusing some of your attitude into everyone here who needs it!!

I'm sorry that the news wasn't all good or about improvement...but then it sounds like it wasn't all bad either....and you still have to see what the onc says on Friday.

Here's hoping hubby continues to remain symptom free. Your attitude really is amazing, Peg...and must be such great support for him. :) I know little about Iressa/Tarceva...but it sounds like it might be wise to run this past the onc too.....to see what he thinks.

Keep us posted!!

Well, Peggy, it is what it is and it will be what it will be...

That being said (and I'm sure it was said before by someone near and dear to you), I'm glad for the good news, sorry for the bad and hoping there is lots more good in the future with treatment.

Love, always,

Becky

Peggy,

I, like everyone else, wish your news had been all good. Your attitude and optimism never cease to amaze me. Don is very very lucky to have you in his corner; we are all lucky that we have you in our corners too! Please stay focused on the prize and I'll continue to keep you in my prayers. Keep us posted on attack plan too!

Peggy Dear, You have a wonderful outlook, and you are right, things could be worse. For one thing the fact that your hubby is feeling fairly well is great, and I sure pray that you will get some real wisdom from the onc. on meds and treatment, and that your sweetie gets to do his thing this spring.

He is blessed to have you.

Love

Nell

Hi Peggy

Well, I am going to chime in with everyone else and say sorry about the bad news, but thank goodness it wasn't worse! There is still alot to be grateful for.

I hope the Iressa is able to keep things under control for a long time to come!

Karen

Peggy,

The news could have been better, but your husband

is still feeling very good and those trips on the bike

could do him a lot of good, attitude counts a lot.

Have a good appointment Friday when you may get the

good news.

J.C.

Peggy, I only wish I could have your attitude and outlook every day of my life. If I did, I believe life would be much better. Like everyone else has expressed, I too wish alal the news had been good news. Just remember that the news could have been much worse and you just keep on hanging on!!! Keeping you in my prayers!

Peggy,

This news must have been hard to take. I agree with the others that your onc. might switch him to Tarceva. My dr. says any growth, even if slight means the current treatment stopped working. He can still ride his motorcycle, he just may have to pull over more often to itch.

Let us know on Friday what the plan is.........

TAnn

Dear Peggy,

So sorry to know that things didn't go quite as well as you had hoped. It must have been a hard knock for both of you. As the other's said though, your attitude and your hubby's strength are amazing. You will be in my prayers. Love, Paddy.