Going back to work

OhioKat

When I was first diagnosed, I went on disability. I figured if there was a chance that I might pass away I was going to spend that time with my kids rather then trying to juggle between chemo & work & life in general.

So now I'm at the point where I'm ready/needing to go back to work and I'm wondering how to answer a prospective employer when they ask why I have a 2.5 year gap in my employment history.

I know the truth is almost always best, but am I actually required to tell them of my cancer history? If I don't and it comes out later is that a justification for them letting me go?

I'm worried that telling them I've had cancer, and have only been NED for one year might cost me the job (of course if they are that shallow do I really want to work for them?) Part of me wants to be very upfront about it, because I don't really care to feel like I'm hiding something, but part of me also knows that I need to get back to work.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Going back to work, wow, what a great milestone. I agree with Larry, the truth is always the best. I would not necessarily go into all the details, they are really not the perspective employers business. Just tell them you have been cancer free for a year.

I know the truth is almost always best, but am I actually required to tell them of my cancer history? If I don't and it comes out later is that a justification for them letting me go?

I'm going to go against the opinions of these wonderful people and say NOT to tell them that you have had cancer. What I would suggest is telling them that you were off for 2 1/2 years due to medical problems, but that you are fine now. Telling them you had medical problems is still being honest, you are not "covering" anything up, you are just not disclosing your personal issues.In answer to your question, I do not believe that you are required to tell a future employer anything about your health,and they are not allowed to ask, unless it calls for certain adjustments to be made to the work place . Of course, I could be wrong (I imagine you can look this up online, or the American Disabilities Act would have something in it).

I would also suggest playing it by ear, depending on what your gut feeling is and the job your going for. I got called for a long awaited interview the week after I came home from my surgery :shock: , and it was a "dog eat dog" job, traditionally a MAN'S 8) job, and saying I had cancer would have been construed as a sign of "weakness", right or wrong. When they called me to come in, I sucked it up, took a double dose of pain pills and did an acadamy award performance of a well person. (I'm not necessarily here to change the world all the time, sometimes I am just trying to keep a roof over my head and food in my son's mouth!) I did end up getting the job but had to turn it down, but it was my choice.

No matter what you decide to do, I wish you luck with your job hunting. Keep us posted!!

By law they cannot ask about your medical history and you do not have to offer the information. I like Debi's answer, it explains the job gap but doesn't give details. Good luck on the job!

Rochelle

Ry is right, they can't ask about your health, their concern should be, are you capable of performing the job. Just say you were out due to illness in the family. Don't be specific, by law they can't ask you the details. If you have the qualifications for the job, then that should suffice. Please keep us posted...

Good Luck

I have always found honesty to be the best policy.Besides that if there are medical benefits involved with your job the insurance co. will tell the employer about the cancer anyway.

I wasn't aware that an isurance company could release that kind of information to an employer. Wouldn't that be in violation of HIPPA?

Same opinion as Brat. You Go Girl, :mrgreen:

Do what you feel at the time of the interview. However you can get the job! :roll:

Good luck, and great that you are going back to work.

Been a long haul but you made it. Beaten the odds, I love it. :D

Keep us posted on the outcome. :wink:

Maryanne

I wasn't aware that an isurance company could release that kind of information to an employer. Wouldn't that be in violation of HIPPA?

I think that if you are to receive medical benefits, your employer will ask you to sign a HIPAA authorization allowing their insurance company to get copies of your medical records, or to get records from your insurance company. If there is an option to decline the health benefits, then they shouldn't be able to get your medical records.

Being a human resource/payroll mgr... It is illegal for a company to ask medical questions other than do you have any disabilities that would make it impossible for you to do the job for which you were hired.

Insurance cannot release info about you to an employer. It is against the Hippa laws.

I had the same problem when I interviewed for a job last fall. My hubby felt I should tell them up front (and of course as my daughter calls me "Safety Susan", I felt I should, too) but I didn't want to "scare" them off. In the end, they didn't ask, and I didn't mention it. I even went so far as to ask my oncologist how he would handle it. He said I COULD tell them I had a carcinoid removed from my lung and leave it at that, but I really didn't have to give my medical history.

After I was there (on the job) about a month, I told both of them (it's a small office) as I was more comfortable with them knowing the information. They were amazed, wonderful, asked some questions, then we moved on. I LOVE my little part-time job - I work for a non-profit agency in my county that is collaborating with the human service agencies - it's the best! Good luck to you -

I agree with Debi and Ry. Karen is also right. They can't ask about your medical history.

I have been pondering the same question for some time now as I plan on re-entering the workforce. I plan on putting "Medical Leave" as reason for leaving last job. If they persue it I can give further info as needed, but Karen is right and I think it will end the questions.

On another note I was approached by the supervisor of a local company the other day. He knows about my cancer surgery. He wants me to work 3 days per week as in the Security Dept. I may not even explain it at all unless asked.

Good Luck and don't stay away so long again. Let us know how it goes for you. Good Luck.

I would not lie, but I would not volunteer information. I guess if I were asked why there was a gap in my employment history, I would tell them I was on medical leave. Hopefully, the interviewer would not pursue the details.

Don M

I wanted to thank everyone for the input & say I'm sorry for not saying so before. My computer was going a bit wonky and I ended up having to format it not once, but twice.

I'm still not sure what to do, I will most likely play it by ear.

Now if I can just get over the anxiety attacks I'm starting to have just thinking about going back. *le sigh*