The 'h' word has entered our vocabulary

Treebywater

Val,

We lost my Dad to lung cancer 18 months ago. I remember being in the hospital room when Dad's Oncologist told him that we needed to call Hospice. It was like a punch in the stomach, we knew his treatments were over and nothing more could be done. I remember being so scared! Hospice supported us and kept Dad's pain under control for the next 7 weeks until we lost him. They were wonderful people who attended to Dad with the best of care. My prayers for your Mom, you, and your family as you journey onto this path.

Jean

Val,

We lost my Dad to lung cancer 18 months ago. I remember being in the hospital room when Dad's Oncologist told him that we needed to call Hospice. It was like a punch in the stomach, we knew his treatments were over and nothing more could be done. I remember being so scared! Hospice supported us and kept Dad's pain under control for the next 7 weeks until we lost him. They were wonderful people who attended to Dad with the best of care. My prayers for your Mom, you, and your family as you journey onto this path.

Jean

Val, I just have to remind you what a very brave young woman you are and let you know how proud I am to "know" you! I know this seems like a very rough bump in the road but keep the faith. I'll echo others and say that Hospice is not always the end of the road. People do make progress and return to treatment. Where there is life...there is always hope!

I remember not so very long ago that we didn't have these kinds of options. At best, we could count on having to stay in the hospital indefinitely, or at home with just family to care for us, and no real relief in the form of respite care or hospice care.

One of the first things I did when diagnosed was to investigate hospice care in close range. My preference, of course, is to stay at home with hospice care because of my kitties (!), but mainly because I'd just be at HOME.

IMO, there are worse things than death or dying, and we usually tend to see people as "dying" when such a milestone is reached. I tend to see it as entering another phase - the one that we will all go through at some time or another.

I hope for no pain, for comfort for your mother, and for relief and comfort for you and your family during this difficult time. I believe the hospice can be a real partner in making that happen for you all.

Best wishes,

Di

Val, I am so sorry. I remember the day we decided to call in Hospice (and just because you do, doesn't mean a miracle still can't happen). They were a blessing to my family and helped my mom a great deal. If you need someone to listen, please know I am here. I truly understand.

Hi Val: Yeah, I guess calling on the hospice is crossing a threshold. But at least it brings in a situation where the focus is on rest and pain management. Hopefully your mom can get some strength back and continue with treatment.

Don M