Post your snappy comeback

osirus226

Well, I just hit some button while typing so hopefully didn't post a half reply somewhere.

I'm taking notes of your replies, these are great!

Jim was a smoker. He also was a sandblaster and painter and inhaled a lot of particulate matter. Perhaps his cancer was caused by a combination of smoking, asbestos, sand, genetics, etc? That is the point. We won't know until we get away from the thinking that this is a 'self-imposed' cancer and start directing funds to the #1 cancer killer.

Our loved ones meant so much more to this world than to be reduced to 'oh, he/she smoked'. I hope I'm not remembered just for drinking too many Diet Cokes.

Great Topic!

Lynne

the truth, it all depends on my spiritual condition at the moment:

I either say "not for 27 years" or (I hope this doesn't offend anyone, heh) some variation of

"bite me". :twisted:

obviously, smoking can cause lung cancer. but I hate the underlying implication that it's somehow less tragic because of it. that's what bugs me. it smacks of the early days of AIDS and I don't like it. I agree completely with Karen, part of this fight IS about smoking. that's for the people who don't have LC yet. I just want to make sure the people that do have it get their fair share of research and awareness.

I use to respond with "Do you ask people who have been diagnosed with Cervical Cancer or Penis Cancer how many sexual partners they had?" I chose Cervical and Penis Cancers because the stats and facts are very similar to those for smoking and lung cancer. They are all purported to be the result of engaging in risky behaviors (smoking-unprotected sexual activity with multiple partners) starting at an early age (typically teens and young adults), and the 'cause' is pretty much universally accepted: smoking in the development of Lung Cancer and infection with HPV in the case of Cervical and Penis Cancer. BUT.....not all cases of cervical cancer and penis cancer are the result of HPV infection anymore than all cases of Lung Cancer are the cause of tobacco smoke exposure. And oddly enough, the percentage rates for that to occur are about the same. At least they were 5 years ago when I was looking into this. Back then the American Cancer Society Web Site point blank told those with Cervical Cancer that it wasn't there fault. They told those who had Lung Cancer to stop smoking and that Lung Cancer was a preventable disease.

Now I look them in the eye and tell folks that what I have is an equal opportunity Lung Cancer...the one that strikes as many never smokers as it does smokers and former smokers. And then I tell them that they would be very foolish to believe that they are not at risk. That usually gets their attention.

Just wondering, how many people that have lost loved ones from AIDS do you walk up to and ask...

** "WAS HE/SHE GAY"?

** how many men did he sleep with or vice versa.

**how many times did he/she have unprotected sex

Its wrong.

That is the stigma that AIDS had but overcame. Its time for Lung Cancer to do the same. It completely offends me when I tell of my father in law and the immediate question is how much did he smoke. Basically it is none of their damn business.. The point is that someone has died from a horrible disease whether it was smoking related or not. I think by answering this question only keeps the question being asked. Sorry if this offends anyone but sorry... This is the hard facts to the stigma this hidden disease has.

I would think that being a part of this message board, everyone here can see that not all victoms of this disease are smoking related (i.e. Becky).

It would be safe to say that this stigma will be hard to break when this is being accepted by anyone as a valid question.

If the Stigma was not there, more funding, more research and better treatment options would come about and the question would become irrelevant because there would be a cure?? Maybe???

Ok off my soapbox...

Rick

Okay, with what Rick just wrote here, I think EVERYONE SHOULD SEND HIS POST TOO:

CBS NEWS

ABS NEWS

NBC NEWS

FOX NEWS

CNN NEWS

YOUR home NEWS STATIONS, and anywhere esle you feel this would help in the understanding of LC.

GOOD ANSWER RICK!! I LOVE IT!!!

Hugs,

Con

Just wondering, how many people that have lost loved ones from AIDS do you walk up to and ask...

** "WAS HE/SHE GAY"?

** how many men did he sleep with or vice versa.

**how many times did he/she have unprotected sex

Its wrong.

That is the stigma that AIDS had but overcame. Its time for Lung Cancer to do the same. It completely offends me when I tell of my father in law and the immediate question is how much did he smoke. Basically it is none of their damn business.. The point is that someone has died from a horrible disease whether it was smoking related or not. I think by answering this question only keeps the question being asked. Sorry if this offends anyone but sorry... This is the hard facts to the stigma this hidden disease has.

I would think that being a part of this message board, everyone here can see that not all victoms of this disease are smoking related (i.e. Becky).

It would be safe to say that this stigma will be hard to break when this is being accepted by anyone as a valid question.

If the Stigma was not there, more funding, more research and better treatment options would come about and the question would become irrelevant because there would be a cure?? Maybe???

Ok off my soapbox...

Rick

I agree I am going to town on the abc message board about peter jenning, the stigma on there is amazing. ABC (my fav. new station-well was) is awful on it coverage. BUT cnn has been the only news station I have seen that has done anything other then talking about the smoking aspect. It is amazingly sad and so frustrating. I yell at my TV!! I said to people on the board who are like people quit now in honor of him (which is great)... BUT if statistics are true, then 50% are FORMER SMOKERS who will be diagnosed with lung cancer. Smokers have a lower lung cancer rate? why the heck is that if it is SOLELY smoking related. So when it is wonderful to quit....will there be options for them if god forbid they have to face it too? I told them once they quit to donate the $$ they would have used to buy even one pack to lung cancer research...start a freaking walk. DO something other then posting the dangers of smoking (we all know that message that is not the issue)...get involved then.

Thought you might relate to one of the smoking conversations that I had when a lady reacted to my LCSC shirt at exercise class:

Lady: "How long did you smoke?"

Me: "None. I'm a life-long non-smoker."

Lady: "Oh. How much did your husband smoke?"

Me: "He's also a non-smoker."

Lady: "Oh. Then how much did your parents smoke?"

Me: "Both my parents were non-smokers."

Lady: "Oh. Then where did you work?"

Me: "I worked in a school house; I'm a teacher."

Lady: "Oh. Then it must have been all the bars you hung out in as a young adult."

Me: :shock: I just smiled and walked away shaking my head :!::!::!: What a ninny!

I have other much-loved family members who still smoke. The blaming is useless. We LC survivors are simply asking to be accorded a level playing field as far a research and funding are concerned and to be accorded the dignity and respect that all deserve.

I loved the "on fire" response. I think I'll try that out

:D