VP-16 & Carboplatin?

nancyf267

I had those drugs to begin with, and suffered no real side effects. I had minor fatigue at first, and it got a little worse when they started chest radiation after 2 cycles. I got a pre-med infusion of Decadron and an anti-nausea drug, and never had any nausea. I managed to keep my hair too, until I had the preventive brain radiation (PCI)!

Everyone is so different, it's difficult to compare all this, but it helps to know what others have gone through, doesn't it. Here's hoping you do very well with this drug combo. It's a good one, I think.

Di

Hi Nancy,

My husband had 8 treatments of the VP16/Carbo combo and did remarkably well with them. He had some fatigue but managed to continue to exercise, didn't lose any weight, and the tumors responded very well. I don't know which anti-nausea Rx he had although he never had nausea. But he also had an iron skillet stomach that could handle just about anything!

Good luck with your treatment!

Lynne

Nancy,

My husband is tolerating VP-16, Carbo and Avastin right now. He just completed his 5th treatment cycle and is stable. He is fatigued and has had some mild nausea. Not sure what he takes when he takes something. He has only needed something maybe 1 or 2 times. We've got Kytril and something else. Good luck to you.

Also, Charlie still has his hair (thinned a lot) after these treatments and 7 previous protocols. He has amazing hair follicles! Maybe the doctor's should study him for helping men with their baldness.

Sorry to get so far off track. Take care. Let me know if there is anything else you need to know about the chemos, etc.

Hi Nancy,

I had those chemos also. Lost my hair after one week and I had a problem with dehydration. Zofran worked for me (Kytril didn't) Just be sure to drink plenty of water. I would go for chemo 3 days in a row and then go in on day 4 to get IV fluids. That really helped me. I would also get a shot of Arenesp every two weeks so I never had any low blood count issues. Best of luck to you. Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Take care,

Nancy B

Thank you all so much for the info! I am freaking out thinking that I will be throwing up non stop. I saw my doctor today and he gave me an RX for Compazine & Ativan for home use and explained that before each treatment (which will be 3 days in a row) I will get good stuff in my IV. I found out today that all scans were CLEAR and it is LIMITED STAGE ~ YEAH!!!!!! I just knew he was hearing my cries :wink:

Thanks again,

Nancy

I had the same chemo. I was a little sick to my stomach but Zofran helped that a bunch. My hair fell out exactly 3 weeks after my first set of 3 treaments. I would have three treatments...then go 3 weeks and back for another treatment. I went in for 3 rounds. My cancer was NSCLC but I am almost 3 years out without any relapse. Being bald and a little sick to my stomach for a few months was well worth it.

Nina

I think this is pretty much the standard first line treatment for SCLC. I was on it and it, along with the radiation reduced my tumor by 100%. That was nearly 4 years ago and I've never had a reoccurence (knock wood). My doctor did mention, however, that Comptazar (spelling?) has replaced Carboplatin as the first line of defense. I had that as a follow-up. My doctor believed that you don't wait for it to come back, you just keep hitting it with everything in the arsenol even when all indications are that it is gone. I lost my hair and was queasy for a few days after the treatment but ativan (my drug of choice)knocked me out enough so that I could sleep through it until I felt better.

Zofran did not help Bri.

He used Kytril at home and got Aloxi IV before infusion.

There is another script that helped him with the nausea from the platin drugs. EMEND

You take one before each of the 3 days treatments and that was a miracle drug for him.

They are all very very expensive.

Compazine works okay for breakthrough nausea after a few day on the stronger / newer stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input! Well I managed to get my insurance company to pay for Zofran, Compazine, and Ativan. Seems like so much medicine...I'm not used to taking so much stuff ~ but at least I'm armed with some good stuff to fight the nausea and vomiting! I go for my very 1st chemo in about 2 hours....yikes ~ I'm terrified!!!

Thanks to all of you for making me feel better! I made it through my very 1st chemo today :o I did, however, leave to use the restroom and returned to the lady next to me vomiting ~ I felt so bad for her! The nurse (who was the sweetest person ever) took me to a different area and before I knew it, I was finished and headed home. Now...as Lynne says..it's Princess time :D