New "oldtimer"

m2e2r2

Just found you all today so am still finding my way around on the site. Have been on other message boards before and have learned so much from all of you out there.

When I was first diagnosed in 1999 they gave me a 5% possibility of living 5 years. At 5 years I dropped an email to my thoracic surgeon to tell him I'm still around. He responded that some people beat all the odds and

we don't know why. In your case I think it's pure determination.

I don't see myself as all that determined and I was sure the diagnosis was a death sentence. I lost my mom to lung cancer when she was 57 and two days post surgery. Lost my husband to LC 3 months after diagnosis in 1995. I stand on their shoulders.

I wake each day grateful to be alive. While I am on oxygen 24/7, I remain active. Two days a week I volunteer at MD Anderson. I'm a telephone buddy with a local organization called Can Care. I'm also active in my local church and am currently taking two classes.

Happy to have found you all.

Mary

Welcome Mary!!!!!

It's so wonderful you decided to join us here. We certainly can use folks like you around for inspiration and encouragement. I bet you have been one determined lady ~ regardless of what you say! You could have just curled up and given up, ya know?

Thanks for speaking up and being here with such a positive message.

Kasey

Mary, welcome, welcome welcome to our community. Many signing up here have been recently diagnosed ( or their loved one) and just reading your signature will be such an inspiration to them! I am sure you have much experience that you can share. We are so lucky you found us. Please keep us posted. Donna G