Please encourage me!

Gina

I have just joined this site, which looks really great and I really need friends to encourage me..

A month ago I went to the Doctor with Hayfever...strange because its Winter here now (Australia)...was told that I also had an upper chest infection..put on antibiotics, which did'nt work..told then that I had asthma..given medications which also did'nt work..then got very SOB...told left lung was'nt working..given chest X-ray, told there was a mass there..CT scan.....fluid surrounding lung and given a pleural tap, was then told a couple of days later that it was malignant...no hope of surgery (ouch)..will be seeing an Oncologist on the 13th July...and am VERY frightened....is there anybody out there who can give me some hope and encouragement,please?

Its lonely out here!!....thank you for any help from anybody, especially if theres someone who has the same symptoms...God Bless and Hugs to all..

Gina

Hi Gina and welcome...youll get great support and info here, soon as the weekend slowdown is over. Try not to be too fearful till you learn more, as cancer is not necessarily a death sentence anymore.

Katie is right, of course, take it one step at a time. All you know now is there is a mass that may be malignant. Lot more to go before exact diagnosis and treatment options can be known. The more you learn, the more control you regain over the situation. Make sure you find docs you are comfortable with and who are good at it. Ask questions till you get the info you want. And 2nd opinions are valuable sometimes, if there is any confusion or doubt.

Keep posting here and asking any questions you might have...lots of folks here happy to help you with anything u ask about. We've all been thru the shock and fear of that initial diagnosis, (and were still here) so ask away.

Well look forward to your posts. take care...Rich B.

Hi Gina.

Welcome to our support group. We are just in the throes of Independence Day celebrations here in the states, so there aren't as many of us around right now. Just wait 'til Weds., though. There will be a whole bunch more.

We have a few people from Oz who come here. Great! LC needs more awareness throughout the world.

I was scared spitless at first too. It doesn't seem real, I know. Soon enough, those intense feelings will leave you once you get a plan in order. You may want to ask your doc for a little pill to help take the edge off for now. Some like ativan or xanax.

You should have your lab report that looked at the cells from the fluid. Did you get that in your hands? Can you find out what it says? What type of cancer? We can help you through with more information.

Like the others have said, pay NO attention to statistics. Not all survive lc, but many do. We have many in our group who are long term survivors!

Do you have family/friends rally around you?

Glad you found us. Where in Australia do you live?

Cindi o'h

Read the good news forum if it is inspiration you seek. knowledge is power and don't listen to a statistic but listen to a dr. Get a small desk organizer to keep track of all Meds apptmnts questions and test and results in. Most important have faith in God. He will help you in this journey. We will give you compassion support and knowledge.

Welcome Gina. Yes, please there is a lot of hope. Not much over a year ago I was in your position. Since then, I have been leading a normal life, with regu;lar visits to the doctor. But feeling generally well and able to do all that I always have done. You'll be there too - but you need to allow yourself sometime to absorb it.

I am sorry you need the board, but I hope it does help.

Mary

Hello Gina and welcome,

As you can probably tell already, this is a wonderful source of support and help. You can feel free to ask any and all questions you will have and know that someone will be along to either answer you or point you in the right direction.

This board is the greatest source of support, there is always someone around to lean on when you need it most.

Stay positive and know we are here to help you along the way,however we possibly can.

Chris

Hi Gina!

Welcome to the site. Sorry that you had to find us, but we're glad that you did. As you already know, this is the place for encouragement. I know you are scared, we all were on that first diagnosis, but hang in there. Get tough and fight this. You CAN win the battle.

If you need anything, just ask. We're here to help each other.

Darrell

G'day and a hearty welcome, Gina. Lucie and I visited your beautiful country in 1989 and had a great time. There are many inspirational stories here, including my wife, who was given 9 months to live at diagnosis as Stage IV nonsmall cell LC, and here she is 3 years and 9 months later, still going strong. So there is plenty of hope. Please keep us informed of your progress and let us know what questions you have and how we may support you. Best to you. Don

Hello and welcome, Gina

Really glad you are here (sorry there is a need, though) and you will find lots of caring people to help you along this journey.

As the others have said, don't pay any attention to stats and get as much info as possible about your diagnosis. Don't be afraid to ask your doc questions and if you don't understand the *dr lingo*...ask him/her to speak in plain english!

I know you are scared. When my mom was dx'd a year ago with lung cancer, she was terrified, as we all were but taking things one day at a time, asking questions, getting informed and prayer...helped.

Today, my mom is doing pretty well and even can play nine holes of golf and she's 83!

I will be praying for you and please keep us updated.

Hugs and prayers, Gina

Libby

Your fear is so normal, it's horrible and we all

go through it

Things will start to make a little more sense when you get a diagnosis as to what type and stage your growth is.

I can't begin to stress how important it is to ignore those statistics, they are so off.

They had me scared out of my wits, and for n reason.

Try to let us know a little more about yourself so we may be of more help

Kathy

Hi Gina, Take hope. If they can shrink the tumor with chemo and radiation, then the operation is possible. There are folks on this site that have gone that route. Your onc will have more info.

What kind of lung cancer do you have? Did you get a pathology report from the docs?

This is the hardest part, but your docs will come up with a plan. Until then, Xanex- it is best to stay rested.

Have you told your family or friends or coworkers? Choose wisely or they will be calling non-stop to "check" if you got test results back yet etc.

That's my 2 cents of advice Gina. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Barb

HI Gina,

Welcome here sorry you had to find us, but you will know that you have found the best group of supportive and knowledgeable people on here.

First of all LC is NOT a death sentence. So get that out of you mind. There are so many treatments out there, they just have to find one that will work for you. There are so many survivors here who have walked in your shoes, and they are still here years later and are stable.

Once you start treatment you will feel better. You are not alone as we are always here 24/7 for any support or questions you may have. You do not have to go through this alone.

I know how scared you are, just put on those boxing gloves and start to fight, and NEVER GIVE UP!! You can win this battle, many have. Keep a positive attitude as that is half the battle.

Maryanne

Hi Gina,

Well, my story is very similar to yours. Doc's thought it was a cold etc and then told surgery and radiotherapy were not an option. I understand your fear, but there are many of us here defying the odds.

There are many people here who can help you and support you.

All the best,

Sharon

Hi Gina: things will get better after you see an oncologist and get a plan implemented. It always seems easier when something is being done about it. We all have to deal with fear to one degree or another. But there IS hope. Just read the profiles and stories.

Don M

Gina,welcome to our support family.There are many here to answer your questions and help.

This disease is tough but we can be tougher.This early part of it soon after diagnosis is to me the hardest part of it.Once you gain knowledge,a good team of drs.and a fight plan it seems to get more doable.Never easy but doable,and there is life after cancer.

Guest ssgg

Hi Gina,

Can you bring someone with you - a partner, friend, relative - to your oncology appointment? My partner has NSCLC and we have found that having 2 sets of ears at any appointment is worthwhile. It can be difficult to absorb everything alone and it is good to have someone else there who is coming at it from a different perspective. Also, use this message board as a source of information - it has been a real support to me as a carer. Best of luck to you.

Siobhan

Gina,

I'm sorry you have to go through this..I was diagnosed not long ago. June 9th officially and start my treatments in a couple days. the last two weeks of May I also was scared out of my mind until I saw an oncologist. He had a plan and that made me feel better. As others have said, take someone with you to the appointment and start a notebook. Also, be your own advocate. Not sure how things work in Australia but here if you need to have test results arrive at a Dr.'s office prior to your getting there I do all the follow-up first to insure the tests have arrived. Hospitals are notorious for telling you they shipped your disks and then never do.

Also, think of your questions ahead of time and write them down..I always forget my questions when I get there..it's all the stress from diagnosis so it helps to just write them down.

Hugs and prayers

Lilly