night spasms

Guest ssgg

Guest ssgg

My partner is on 100m fentanyl patches and oxynorm 20mg breakthrough. At night, he seems to spasm constantly, jumping around involuntarily. He also wakes up in conversation and confused about why I don't know what he is talking about. The pallative care nurse warned that the conversation stuff may happen but I don't know why the spasms are happening. Has anyone experienced this? Everytime his body jolts, I wake up worrying about what is going on. I hate this disease and I hate being so bloody helpless against it. I guess everyone else does too...sorry to be so self-indulent...

Sorry this is happening to you and yours. I would wager to guess that the side effects from pain meds can be many and varied along with pent-up fears, etc. that manifest during sleep. I know it doesn't make for such good sleep for you either. My sleep went to hell when my husband's breathing changed for the worse. Please take care of yourself during this mess --- easier said than done, I know. And feel free to drop your load on these boards at anytime. All of us understand completely!

My best to you

Welthy

Yes, hang in there. I sometimes have had little jerking spasms as I fell asleep. It has not happened in a while.

I am not sure I want to say I "hate" lc, but I want it to shrivel up and die, to go away and never to be on the earth again.

Don M

Hi,

My Mom did experience the jolts when her patch was upped to 100. In fact, we had to back her off of the 100 patch because it caused a lot of confusion. We also had to take all of the medicine in the house so we knew exactly what she was taking. Taking all of her meds was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. It made her and me feel like we were taking away her independence.

I'm sorry you have to go through this---I hate this disease!

Trish

Fentanyl made my dad hallucinate and have spasms. took a while to figure it out as he had a lot of things going on at once (elevated liver enzymes, morphine pump, Fentanyl patch, intractable diarrhea, feeding tube problems just to list a few).

Let us know what you find out.

~Karen