New Here

asmakis

Hello my name is Amanda and my dad, 61 years old, was diagnosed with NSCLC IIIB on February 27th 2006. He underwent 6 weeks of radiation in conjunction with chemotherapy of carboplatin and taxotere. He then did three more weeks of chemotherapy. In July, he started having really bad headaches and he lost his appetite. An MRI confirmed 1 met to the brain. We met with the radiologist yesterday and today he started radiation. Today we also received the PET scan results from the test he took on Monday. The results showed a 50% reduction in the size of primary tumor.

This has been a terrible journey for my dad, my mom, myself and my family. I am 28 with a 16 month old daughter named Madelyn. Madelyn is my dads angel and he gets so terribly down at times that he is not going to see her grow up. We spend a lot of time with my parents- which is so nice.

My question is this- is a 50% tumor shrinkage good or not?

The oncologist says my dad will start 2nd line chemotherapy in three weeks.

Is there hope that my dad will be around for a while?

I pray that he will be- I love him so, but I also want to be realistic.

Amanda, welcome. Its a terrible thing you having to find us. BUT, there is so much hope and love here.

that amount of shrinkage is fantastic. you should be thrilled. brain met, shmane met. those buggers can be zapped with radiation and be taken down quickly.

your dads stage is survivable for many many years. Just keep an agressive oncologist on your side and get real good nutrition in your dad.

My mom and dad had LC. Mom had NSC and dad had SC. sadle I lost them both 9 months apart because their cancers were just too advanced and agressive. dad did not want to live without mom anyway and did not have the fight in him.

my sister also is a Breast cancer survivor and is two years into dx and just got married two weeks ago and is still in remission.

please do me a favor, around your dad...LIVE. I treated mom and dad as if they were helpless and I think I contributed to them giving up. I did everything and took their "adultness" away from them in a way.

dad is sick yes. but not gone. He still has to feel needed and viable.

never ever give up the fight

shelly

Hello Amanda and welcome,

You got some very good advice from Shelly when she said LIVE around your father. Keep the positive attitude and fighting spirit and know that we are all here to help you through this.

Keep us posted and know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Chris

Welcome, Amanda! Glad you found us. My wife is Stage IV NSCLC and her first chemo was the same as your dad's. It worked well for her. She is almost 4 years from diagnosis, and was 65 when she was diagnosed, so take heart! She is presently under her 5th chemo regimen, with breaks here and there, and she has been able to live a decent life, albeit less active. Keep us posted on your dad, and let us know how we may support you. Don

Read the Good News Forum and The survivor forum for inspiration. 50% is great for a first round treatment. There are many more available and more being researched as I write this. MAny Clinical trials going on. Do not get discouraged. THis is a new step in life. A side step that is.sorry you have to be here but Glad you are compared to other groups.

Hi Amanda: I am 61 years old and I have a daughter named Amanda.

50% shrinkage is great. That means the primary tumor is under control. If your dad just has a single met, it can easily be killed with cybersurgery without causing any damage to adjacent brain tissue. Here is a link where you can ask radiologists at major cancer centers that have cyberknife capability if your dad would be a candidate. They answer within 24 hours.

http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/default.aspx?c=4

Don M

Hi Amanda, this disease is living nightmare sometimes, but only God knows when and how our journey will end.

Your dad is definitely a fighter, he made it through the chemo and radiation and then extra chemo - that's not easy. And his doctors obviously feel he can handle more treatments, so I think you have good reason to be hopeful.

Don makes an excellent suggestion, it may be time to look/travel for cyberknife for brain met. I'm not sure, but think they just do a few days of cyberknife treatments and then he would be back home with regular onc.

Prayers for your dad,

Barb

Dear all- thank you so much for your quick responses and warm welcomes. Everytime someone sends a post, I get so excited- it means so much to me. Thank you too for your words of encouragement. Regarding the gamma knife, the radiologist mentioned it yesterday as an option after this first round of radiation if it is necessary. He seemed very optimistic that he could get it with just radiation. My dad actually felt good after visiting with the doctor yesterday- I think he's been given new hope. He also continues to work- he hasn't stopped- it's his way of fighting through this awful disease. I wish he'd retire early- but I don't push it because I want it to be his decision.

My dad has an appointment with the oncologist in two weeks to disuss second line treatment. I am unable to attend this appointment because it will be my first week back to work (I'm a teacher). I was wondering, is there anything I should relay to my mom to ask the doctor? I've done a bit of research on the web about second line treatment, but haven't gotten a great understanding of it.

Again, thank you for everything.

Warmly,

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Sorry you had to find us, but glad that you did.

We are always here for you 24/7. We know how scared you are as we have all been there.

They seem to have a good plan treatment for your dad. That is really positive. Also make sure you keep a positive attitude as that will help in his healing. Thoughts are things...

Will be thinking of you and sending good vibes his way.

Maryanne :wink:

Hi Amanda and welcome,

You have come to the best place for support and advice.

50% Shrinkage is FANTASTIC news for your family! My Dad was diagnosed July 4th, 2006 and after just 2 chemo treatments he has also shown shrinkage. I'm so happy I can't see straight!

I wish continued success, shrinkage, health and happiness for your Dad and all of your family!

Best wishes,

-Rod

Amanda...

I'm sorry you had to find this place but I can't think of a better place to find if your family is facing this monster.

Celebrate even the smallest shrinkage!! LOL Mom's onc equated the cancer to a moving train...first you have to get it stopped...THEN you can work on backing it up, so a 50% shrinkage is WONDERFUL!!! :D

The one brain met is very easily treated with Cyberknife and it's becoming, from what I can tell, the more common first step. It leaves the healthy brain tissue alone and can be done repeatedly for other mets that might pop up along the way.

As far as the expectations of living a while...only one person knows, if you believe that way. But people are living longer and longer with this disease and living WELL. Look at the dates of diagnosis on some of the signatures and you'll realize that there are quite a few long-term survivors of all kinds of stages hanging around to give us all a little encouragement when we need it...there's not a thing that says your dad won't be one of them, too!!

Never give up hope!

We're here for you when you need.

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to the site. I too had 50% shrinkage after chemo and I'm still here fighting like mad after 15 months.

This is a tough disease that can get you down if you let it. Try to stay positive. It's just wonderful that you can spend so much time with your dad. I just became a grandma and seeing my granddaughter is the best medicine I can think of.

Best wishes to you all and we're all here to help.

Joan

Hi Amanda and welcome to the site. I was also diagnosed a IIIB NSCLC just about a year ago. I had the same drug combo as your dad for awile and radiation, and although my tumor didn't shrink entirely, it is no longer active -- just dead, dead, dead. The chemo and radiation knocked the life out of it and residual tumor remains behind. I now take Tarceva (a pill taken once a day) and life is grand. Hope your dad sees the same results. Hang in there.

Trish

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to the site. I think a 50% reduction is great. As far as brain mets go - if there is one or two or three, they can do radio surgery or cyberknife. It's much less aggressive than whole brain radiation and has none of the side effects.

I'm also one of the people here who are living with cancer - not dying with it. It's been 16 months for me and I'm doing fine.

There is a reality though that cancer affects the whole family - not just the patient and I encourage all of you to love each other - and spend all the time you possibly can making happy memoories.

Best wishes,

Mary

Hi Amanda, I think if your mom can make a mental note of everything positive she hears at the meeting, then when or if your Dad gets feeling low, you guys can remind him of the good things the doc had to say.

It is so important the family support your Dad with positive encouragement. My mom "gave up" on me the day I was dx'd, (her generation believed lc was death sentence I guess), and that destroyed my attitude for awhile. My husband had a practiced laundry list of positive comebacks for every negative thought I shared with him. He remembered even the tiniest good things doctors said which I'd forgotten because I only heard the bad stuff.

Prayers for your Dad, Barb

Amanda,

Welcome to the boards. I am sorry you have to be here in the first place, but please know there is so, so much love, support, and prayers here for you and for your family. I too have a little angel at my house...Lillianne, 10 months old. She has been such a light for my dad. Every day she changes, so every day he is so thankful for every day...does that make sense?

I say shrinkage of all kinds are encouraging. Keep up the great work! Stay strong, know we are here, and keep us posted!

God bless,

Jen

Hi Amanda,

50% shrinkage is absolutely wonderful. I feel he will see more and more of that.

You guys should be so happy. I am glad he is still working and that he has seemed to found new hope. He should as that is such encouraging news.

Please keep us informed.

Maryanne :wink: