Chemo and Radiation in the morning

We are starting chemo and radiation in the morning. I am not sure what type of cchemo it will be yet. It will be one of the two he had before, so that is good since we will know what to expect. We are both nervous about the radiation. We have never done this before and have no idea what to expect.

When does the fatigue start? Is it with the first treatment or do they increase after each treatment?

Our spirits are up and now we are ready to fight again. I just hope that we have the same success this time. The kids seem to be coping better now. I think that last week we were all still in shock.

Mike and Bauner have been hunting every chance they get and they got a doe last night. If you have had radiation before, do you think that Mike will be able to continue hunting? He walks about a mile to his tree stand one way without problems. I hope that this is something that they can continue to do during the treatment.

Of all times, everyone in our house except for Mike has a sinus infection, so we are taking meds now. We are going to ask his oncologist if he should be taking some antibotics so he doesn't get it.

If you have any helpful hints for dealing with radiation, please share them with me. Well, I thought that this would be short, but I was wrong. I guess we have a lot going on right now.

Thanks for listening!

My radiation oncologist came me some kind of medicince that kind of numbed your throat. It was good because the radiation can make you not want to eat because it is hard to swallow. That magic syrup certainly did help. Be sure to ask for it. Also drink lots of water during the entire time of chemo and radiation. You may want to get some Aquaphor, Aloe Vera Gel or Sween Cream to rub on his chest for radiation irritation. Be sure to ask your radiation oncologist about these things. He/she will probably have them ready for you.

Doing the chemo and rad at the same time has always found me pretty tired but have always been able to make do plugging along.

Both these are cumulative and both keep building up in our body the more me do.I have usually always been able to put a pattern to the worse of the days so far as nasea and sick.

It will be harder hunting but doable.There will be days missed but not lost.The chemo and rad started fairly soon for sick and fatigue but again doable.It has so far been worth it for me each time to endure.

Good luck and hang in there.

Hi Kim, No sooner than he gets the port out and now he needs it again. Doesn't that figure. :)

I agree with Frank. Chemo and radiation can be hard together, and it gets harder and harder further into treatment. You can still do everything you want to do, it just takes longer to get it done.

That fatigue can stay for a few years after treatment, so I took afternoon naps for at least two years.

Not sure where they are zapping, but the radiation can melt some lung tissue and reduce lung function.

I think it depends on how big the field is.

Of the two, radiation and chemo, I always thought radiation was "easier" treatment.

Hope hubby's treatments go OK today.

Barb

Just some additional things:

Earl drank Carafat before and after each radiation treatment and while food didn't taste great I don't believe he had the esophagial burn because of the Carafat. The Carafat was mixed with either apple or grape juice and he drank it at the treatment center. He also drank some at home on the weekends.

Also, don't put any lotion on until after each treatment. We we told that the lotion could cause a worse burn if applied right before.

I hope this treatment works and NED is in your future.

Hi. I had 35 radiation treatments (5 days a week for 7 weeks) and six chemo treatments ... every Friday immediately after radiation. I endure the chemo very well but did experience some nasty skin burns from the radiation. They gave me Aquaphor and other meds and near the end some gel pads I could put in the refrigerator and then apply to the burned areas ... they were great. They took an x-ray weekly and then adjusted the location they hit with the radiation accordingly. Either this or the grace of God kept me from getting the problem with my esophagus that so many refer to. I tolerated the chemo very well but was quite tired during treatment. I am now 3 months out from my last treatment and find that I no longer need a nap during the day unless I just really over do things the day before. Best wishes and let us continue to hear from you, help you or support you in any way we can.

I was also treated with concurrent chemo and radiation very similar to Judy’s schedule. In my case, the radiation field was almost dead center on my chest so the esophagus received a full dose every day for 33 days. The damage to my esophagus made eating very difficult (even painful) for about 4 months. Ask your radiation oncologist where the target field will be and how much radiation will the esophagus be exposed to. If Mike’s esophagus is in the target field, he will probably want to eat a lot of soft foods and liquids for a while.