Getting to Know You - February 08

Ann

None, although I do have 2 plants at work in Oklahoma, that people were crazy enough to get me. One is almost dead even though others have fostered it, the other is halfway alive but covered with post-its that say 'dead plant walking' put on there by my coworkers.

I'm glad my son is old enough to get his own water.

These are perfect to clean the air

TOP 10 plants most effective in removing:

formaldehyde, benzene, and carbon monoxide from the air.

Common Name Scientific Name

Bamboo Palm Chamaedorea Seifritzii

Chinese Evergreen Aglaonema Modestum

English Ivy Hedera Helix

Gerbera Daisy Gerbera Jamesonii

Janet Craig Dracaena "Janet Craig"

Marginata Dracaena Marginata

Mass cane/Corn Plant Dracaena Massangeana

Mother-in-Law's Tongue Sansevieria Laurentii

Pot Mum Chrysantheium morifolium

Peace Lily Spathiphyllum "Mauna Loa"

Warneckii Dracaena "Warneckii"

I have 6 plants and fresh flowers

Jackie

Um, define "live"...I have a plant that refuses to die but is flat-out ugly and more than half dead. I just don't have the heart to get rid of anything that still has the tenacity to TRY...

I have eight at home: two small pony tail palms, an African violet (black thumb that I have, it keeps sprouting more green leaves!), and two types of philodendron totalling five plants. I have others at work, where it's WARMER but not brighter. Go figure...

I cannot keep a plant alive...mostly through neglect, but even when I try.....EXCEPT for this wonderful Zee (?) plant that a friend gave me. You are only supposed to order it once a month, doesn't care if it gets light....and it is THRIVING and producing babies!!! I feel wonderful to now have a live plant in the house for longer than 4 months....

5, some more alive than others. There are also 2 cacti clinging to life in a bowl that held about 6 not too long ago (a gift that did not go on giving!).

Main criteria for plants here is that they thrive on neglect especially a 29 year old dracena palm and a 24 year old Christmas cactus that have travelled the continent and survived.

I have four at home.

My favorite is the bamboo plant my Mom brought back last year from Florida. These are perfect plants for those of you that have a difficult time with house plants. They don't grow in soil, only rocks and water and thrive as long as they are not in direct sunlight.

Another special plant I have is from my Moms funeral. I'm not sure what kind it is but it is doing remarkably well. Lots of new shoots and is a big, beautiful plant.

Ummmm...I'm with Snowflake on the live thing :lol:

Ok, I've got 6 of them in various stages of health:

Peace Lilly -- so on it's way out now (had it for 17 years).

Philodendron -- looking happy after a recent scare of almost losing it. Been around for 16 years or so.

English ivy -- rockin' on with spider mites at the moment. Christmas 2006 gift (already lost it's miniature rose mate that accompanied it in that gift).

Money Tree -- Christmas 2006 gift from a friend: looking happy and I'm not sure what to do with it; never heard of it before!

Jasmine -- oh so really fine and filling my soul with its intoxicating perfume now.

Amaraylis (sp) -- blooming like mad now.

Linda

Uh, bamboo won't grow for me - I've received some in dirt and some in gel, and neither way survives over a few months. I can kill spider plants, too. LOVE jasmine, have to keep it outside and not under a window that opens, though, it tends to inhibit my breathing.