I made it

Guest Estrea

Guest Estrea

Hello all:

I just returned from a cruise in the Bahamas with my husband...no kids. Now you are asking "so, what is so special about that?" Well, I will tell you. On October 1, 1998 I was diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IA and told I had a 70-80% chance of being alive in five years. Well, last week, was that five year anniversary and needless to say, I MADE IT TO FIVE YEARS! We decided if I made it we would do something big to celebrate and a cruise to the Bahamas was just the thing. So, Grandma came up from Florida to babysit, we flew down to Florida and sailed on a Royal Caribbean ship for four fabulous, relaxing days. What a treat! On the evening of October 1, our last night, I bought the table a bottle of champagne, told everyone my story and toasted TO LIFE. (Or as we Jewish people say, L'chaim!)

I was silent on the boards for a while as this milestone in my life was approaching. I am still not sure how I feel about it. A lot has happened in those five years -- especially two little people called Lara and Justin who will be two next month. But, the most important thing is I have tried to do is make a contribution to the battle against a disease that is ridiculously ignored by the world. I am so proud to have given this group its start, and I am eternally grateful to Katie and Rickey Brown, Connie Berchem, Donna G, Dave Grant and a host of others for keeping it going so strong.

Grateful to be alive,

Estrea :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Estrea...

I am so glad that you posted.

Thanks for being here and for being an example that we CAN make it!!

Congratulations!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Debi

47 years old

stage 1a-nsclc

Surgery June 16, 2003- Mid & Upper lobe removed

WOOO HOO! You give the rest of us such hopes with this!

Doesn't this make you officially CURED, instead of in remission???? Oh what a wonderful thought..I know you are floating sky high right now!

Do you mind if I ask what your treatment was..it doesn't say in your signature.

Estrea,

CONGRATULATIONS on the coveted 5-year anniversary!!! How special that you took an exciting trip to mark the moment. May you celebrate many more mileposts!!!! Hug those kids for us all.

We are eternally grateful to you for having begun this marvelous board and to all the others who are essential to its continuance.

Estrea,

A huge "CONGRATS" is in order..... Thank you for all the you do for this forum. Without the dedication of all involved (Rick, Katie, Connie B., Dave G.and all others), this site may not even exist. Speaking for myself and I am sure all others on here, we are truly grateful. You are truly a survivor.

God Bless and praying for a "Cure" for all of us.........

Karen

Guest Estrea

Thanks...it feels real somehow now that I have shared it with you all! Gina, I had the same dx and treatment as you -- lobectomy (left lower) and no follow-up. And, I for one, am glad I had no chemo and radiation now that I made it to five years!

Hi Estrea;

A great BIG CONGRATULATIONS to you, How absolutely wonderfull, and yes there certainly is life after Lung Cancer. Thanks for the inspiration and the example and may you continue to have many, many more anniversaries all celebrated in the same manner.

God bless and be well, and yep - Good to be a survivor today!

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

I am so very happy for you and your beautiful family. The trip sounds wonderful and you deserved every relaxing minute of it (as well as your husband did because we all know that caregivers need a break too) Many more anniversaries to come for us all. Love and Prayers, Sharon

The trip sounds wonderful, and what a awesome thing to celebrate!! Your an inspiration to all of us and we owe you more than we can say for helping to start this board. You should feel very proud that you are helping so many people deal with this horrible disease by being able to help and support each other. I don't think I could have dealt as well as I have without the help of everyone here.

Annie