Addicted to this site

Shelley (MLC)

I find myself quite addicted to this site. I'm probably lurking here several hours each day. My mom was diagnosed almost 2 months ago and I think I keep hoping to find a miracle when I read all the posts and the attached historys. While I may not have found the miracle cure that I (and all of you) are hoping for, I have found so much hope, love and support that it makes dealing with this horrible disease a little easier. I'd like to thank all of you for taking time to answer my questions and guide me through this very scary journey. Shelley

You are not alone in the addiction :) A lot of us are like that. I remember when I first joined I was clinging to every post and just reading and reading every minute.

I admittedly have not been as addicted and reading every post every second like in the past b/c life is getting in the way. However if I go a day without checking posts I truly feel something is missing in my life : ) And I typically still check in a few times a day ;)

I know exactly what you mean Shelley.

I did the exact same thing after I first found this site. I spent days, many hours at a time, reading post after post. Reading everyones history, some making me cry, some making me cheer. I too was able to draw so much stregnth and hope from what I saw here. Please message me anytime if you ever want to chat, vent, whatever.

We're lucky to have such a place. I'm very thankful to be a part of such a great community.

I too, an addicted. My husband has asked me not to look at this so much, but it's become my life. Between this site and Onctalk.com I am on several times a day. It's amazing how one's life can change in an instant when the doctor says "cancer."

Blessings to you all who are on this site. This is our hope and strength.

Laurie

Ditto, I am another groupie....I usually check min 3 times per day. The site is great and the people are great. I think we don't get the same sense of understanding from the people we physically interact with every day. Being able to communicate on this site allows me to feel like I am not alone. Heather

I also share the addiction. When mom was first diagnosed it was this site that gave me hope that she might just be OK. Prior to that I was counting the days,weeks,months we might have left. I just didnt' know. Reading all the stories of survival and hope sure helped.

I don't always post, but I'm often out there lurking and catching up on everybody's news

Jen

Shelley, I'm so glad that you found this board and have been able to gain some support from this wonderful group of people. When cancer enters your life you really need a place to go where people actually "get it" and we certainly do. Please know that we have very broad shoulders (to lean on), very big ears (to listen with), very long arms (for very big hugs) and humongously bih hearts (to send lots of comfort and love).

You guys are great! I couldn't sleep last night so I came down after midnight and there were several other insomniacs on the site with me. It's nice to know that there is someone here anytime of the day, who understands what we are all going through. Lung cancer isn't the easiest thing to talk about with our friends outside this site. If it hasn't been a part of their life (and this was certainly the case with me), they really can't appreciate how hopeless we can feel. Before my mom was diagnosed, I had always thought that lung cancer was like many other cancers (or like mom's laryngeal cancer) you treated it with chemo, radiation etc and it would "go away" Obviously, I've learned much in the past month or so and now know it's much more serious than I ever thought. I'm just happy to know that you will all be there with me for the ups and the downs. Shelley

"Shelley (MLC)"Before my mom was diagnosed, I had always thought that lung cancer was like many other cancers (or like mom's laryngeal cancer) you treated it with chemo, radiation etc and it would "go away"

THAT is why this site is so important to so many. The general population and even survivors of other types of cancer have no clue how challenging lung cancer is. Obviously stage IV cancer of any kind is a challenge, but LC is almost in a league of its own. :(

Debi

Shelley as you can see you are not alone with the addiction. There are so many of us "support junkies" be it in need of support or giving it.

Unfortunetly, with my new position in work I have to be on my work computer (which is next to my laptop here) so I don't go on as much as I used to. I feel so guilty about that as when I do go on I am overwhelmed with all the postings I have missed and catch up is a bit-h.

I guess that is why I seem to answer post late, like now it is 1:30 in the morning :shock:

Anyway you are definetly not alone and we welcome you here anytime.

Keep us posted on your mom's progress.

By the way Shelley, you mom is a nice looking lady. Is that your little girls she is holding? Adorable.... :D

Maryanne :wink:

Oh, my husband and I often joke about my addiction to this site. I feel like I KNOW so many people here. We were talking about going to the reunion this summer, and he thought I was crazy...then after listening to me tell stories about Don, Carleen, Grace, Ernie, KatieB, Frank, and all the others in the gang, he understood.

Someone once asked me if I thought maybe I should give it a break...and my response was this...this is unlike any other place in my life, with people unlike any others. I often wonder if today I just might find the post that I can hang my hat on...or maybe I will make a post to someone and that will be the post they hang their hat on to give them hope, peace, and a supportive arm.

Thanks for sharing your addiction, because it seems that we have our own little groupie here!!!

Jen

I also find myself coming to this site very often, and try to find comfort or give it when I can.

I have good days and not so good days, but realize others are going through what I am, that being chemo and radiation and the side effects of them.

The wonderful people here understand lung cancer, while the general population that has not been affected by lung cancer can't begin to know what it is all about. Until I got lung cancer myself I didn't look for a support group or a site like this one, or even know it existed.

We are blessed to have each other to provide support and information. Exchanging ideas and treatment options, and everything else is so very important.

It is a beautiful and heart-lifting thing to see the troops go marching out to help, like an army of warriors on the trail of support. One after the other, here they come! How glorious!

Barb