new

Dave

hi all.

Im a 55 years old male just diagnosed with nsclc

stage 11A Have had left upper lob removed along with several lymph nodes that showed signs of becoming cancer.All the tumer and nodes have been removed and was told it was a clean removal.Am now just finishing up the first cycle of chemo.Will have 3 more cycles to go over the next 9 weeks. Am lost and confused at this point about my life and where it might be headed.

Hello scman,welcome. Altho I am fairly new here myself,I have found a lot of informaion and inspiration here.This is scarey stuff and it sure helps to share with others who know what you are feeling.At first I found reading alot of this was scarey and depressing but I get alot more positive out of it than negative.If you have questions feel free to post them and someone here will be able to relate or help you out. It sounds like you have a good jump on your cancer and I hope and pray that it will stay that way for you. May God bless.

Hello,

We understand the anxiety that you are going through. I was soooooooooo scared at first. I was diagnosed stage 3A. I found and you will find support here to get you through. You will get through your treatments and before long you will be able to be a support for someone else.

Carol

Hi, and welcome to the LCSC!

You don't say in your profile what symptoms or chain of events (like getting scanned for some other problem and "accidentally" being found to have lung cancer) led to your diagnosis. But if you're like a great many of us, it came as quite a shock. Most people don't show any noticeable symptoms unless the cancer has metastacized to the brain or bones or other organs, or has caused fluid to build up in the chest resulting in shortness of breath -- that's why so many of us started this cancer trip already in Stage IIIB or IV.

You may not feel like believing this right now, but among those diagnosed with cancer, you're one of the lucky ones. First, yours was caught early, presumably before it had spread beyond the left upper lobe. Second, you were a candidate for surgery, which has been successfully completed. Third, you've started chemo, which must mean you have an aggressive oncologist who knows you may have a few cancer cells floating around in your bloodstream looking for a place to land in spite of the surgeon's "clean removal" statement. Some people don't get chemo after a so-called clean removal and later regret it. There are two statements I especially mistrust: "Take this road -- you can't miss it!" and "I got it all."

If you need any other reasons to feel fortunate, one would be that you're starting this journey at a time when some remarkable advances in cancer treatment have recently come into use, and even better treatments are in the pipeline. So if something else crops up in a few years, the medical community will have even better tools at their disposal.

Yes, it's a shock, and it might be difficult to plan ahead to the degree that you'd like. Depending on your family situation and employment, you may (or may not) need to make some changes you've never considered before. What I'd suggest now is that you spend a good amount of time browsing this site to see what challenges others have faced and how they're dealing with them. When you feel comfortable doing so, beef up your profile with more details and there will undoubtedly be some in the group who have "been there done that" and are ready to give you some tips along the way.

Aloha,

Ned

I see more info would be helpfull:

The whole thing started from a routine physical.I felt (as do most) no symptoms whatever. Once the chest xray showed a spot things moved very rapidly from there.I was told the results of the chest xray on March 12 2007 and in rapid order over the next few weeks had a Ct,bronch and lastly the PET.After meeting with the surgeon we decided to waste no time a scheduled the surgery for April 5th.The procedure went well and I was sent home on april 9th.Again not wasting any time we meet with the oncologist on April 24th and decided to do 4 cycles of chemo starting on May 7th. Have just finished the first cycle and will begin 2nd one on may 29th

Thanks for the additional info. I'll add the chest xray to your "lucky" list -- that's not always done on a routine physical. I've had scores of exams over the past 30 years -- a colonoscopy screening, CT scan for a kidney stone, MRI for an inner ear problem, bone density screening, blood tests for almost everything imaginable including periodic PSAs, and probably some I've forgotten, but not a single chest xray since I left the Air Force in 1978. I'm convinced that if I'd had an xray in August 2005 instead of August 2006 when I was already short of breath, something would have shown up even then on the right lung and I'd be somewhere close to where you are right now. But that didn't happen, and I'm just happy I'm doing as well as I am.

You might also want to add the names of the chemo drugs you're on. Side effects might become an issue in a few weeks if they haven't already, and it's good to know someone who's had first-hand experience with the same medications.

Aloha,

Ned

Welcome scman ... hope you get as much out of this board as I have. There are a lot of great folks for support and information. As far as what to expect .. I will say attitude has a lot to do with the fight. Post those questions, fears or frustrations and someone will be there with some wonder suggestions.

Thanks to all that have answered my posts. It does make me feel better knowing others in the same position.The hardest part has been not really having anyone to talk to about it.My wife bless her does her best to put up with my mood swings and fears but she is to a degree on the outside looking in.She is a wonderfull woman and takes good care of me and I love her all the more because of it. Recce101 the chemo they are giving me is cis-platinum and navelbine. First week both together 2nd week navelbine only 3rd week off. Side effects so far have been tolerable...thank god for anti nausea meds

later scman

Scman,

I think that most here can identify with your feelings of bewilderment. No one expects this in their life.

Please share with us as much as you feel comfortable with. There is a lot of experience on this board, and

the more info you provide, the more people will be able to help you.

You have a pretty good outlook for cure with a stage 2A - I hope that you are with a well versed major cancer center.

Please visit often, and know that you have a support group here.

Mary Colleen