Another Possible Problem

norme

Hi Everyone,

Just got back from the new chemo onc. Buddy had a abd/pelvis/chest and an xxray of chest on 10/23/03. The chest came back somewhat okay but the abd/pelvis ct came back showing possible tumor in the colon. It also shows some activity again in the liver. It wasn't a lymph node like they thought on the last scan, it was the colon showing activity. The last scan stating possible lymph node involvement did not have enough area to see that it was the colon not a lymph node. If it is in the colon then that would be a second primary and the chemo would not be the same to give to him. It would change all plans per the onc. Buddy is scheduled to see the colon dr next Wednesday for a consultation. It is the same surgeon that operated on his lung cancer. He does colons too. He will prob do a scope first so don't understand why doesn't he just do a scope and the heck with the consultation. I guess maybe to see how strong my Buddy is right now. I am having prob in that area myself and I go see a dr tomorrow. Dear God, I need to get my Buddy better before I can have a problem. When it rains it poors...

As for as Markers go, Buddy's CA 125 was 69.12 which is high. the average is 0 to 35. So there is still cancer in his body.

Also he has started a real horrible cough, per the dr, he doesn't think much of it because his chest xray was fine. He said to just take some cough meds and see how it works. I have read on here that others are having cough problems. Is this something that goes along with chemo???

Am very down right now. I am starting a new club. I HATE SCANS

club.

Guest Jonathan

Hi,

Be sure to ask about the use of CPT-11 because it is used in both colon and lung cancers with great effectiveness...That is an option worth going for with or without the second primary to target the cancer.

Jonathan

Dear, dear Norme,

This disease is insidious. You guys need a break. Some time without upset and fear. Let's hope the colon problem is just polyps, no big deal.

And dear Norme, I hope you are just stressed out, although I can't imagine why.

I will say extra prayers tonight for you and your Buddy.

Ginny

Norme, it's BLT again and so sorry to hear all that is going on with you this week, especially. I had polyps removed in the past and was a year overdue for another colonoscopy. Couldn't face that and everything else but finally did last week. They did find another polyp and had to go back the second day to have it removed because the new method (lots of pills and not quite as much liquid) didn't clean me out good enough. Three days of NPO or clear liquids really left me drained but it is behind me. My husband lost his first wife to colon cancer so we try to watch it closely. I do pray that yours is stress and Buddy's is a polyp. You certainly have too much going on. Will raise special prayers for both of you. BLT

(((((((((((DEAR SWEET WONDERFUL NORME))))))))))))))))))))))))

Okay, so we need a plan for that colon and thats why those markers are up, could be worse right? Ask onc about that CPT-11 that someone mentioned.

Go take care of yourself too, dont wait to get things going with Buddy. You need to be healthy too.

Your such a source of strength for all of us, I want to send some back your way tonight. I havent said my nightly prayers yet where I mention this board, so you've still got prayers going up for dear Buddy yet tonight.

Much love dear friend.

Dear Norme,

I want to join your "I hate scans club!" I have one coming up soon myself. Buddy is so very strong,to have endured what he has already gone through. You have been such a support to all of here on this board. Please know that I am praying hard that everything is o.k. for you both.

Cheryl

Hey Norme can I join your new club your starting??? I HATE SCANS!!! I NEED TO JOIN AND QUICKLY!!!!

Damn I was being envious of you and the results of Buddy's last test... but yet I was so happy for you too!!! You have conquered many battles and have given me much strenthen Norme!!! I pray for you and buddy I consider you and buddy new friends and sometimes you are my strengthen.. You have helped me sooooo very much at times, if nothing else but to listen to me going nuts!!! Which I tend to do often... I hate seeing you have to worry again about this damn disease!!!! It seems to never end... I might have been envious but you also gave me hope with Darrell!!!!! But yet you are also honest and that is what I want totally honestly.. I don't want people telling me it will be fine when they have no clue, which is what so many people do that don't have a clue of anything about lung cancer...

Darrell also keeps a cough, which is something he didn't even have before his surgery.. Its a dry cough, but its still there... when he had a cold a couple of weeks ago, it was a little more conjested.. but now its just a dry cough.. Not bad really though.... I am praying that his liver is not cancer. If it is I will worry even more about Darrells lesions.... Buddy's not being cancer gave me more hope...Let me know how your own test turns out... I pray its just stress, I know personally how stress has affected myself so much... its hard to believe how much stress can do to ones body... I should have called my own doctor back today.. I go see her again on the nov. 17, but she also told me "you know how to reach me if you need me sooner" Well hell this week has been horrible for me.. and what do you mean by Buddy's chest scan coming back "somewhat" ok? Damn I hope Buddy's Colon doesn't have problems too!!! I will probably go to sleep tonight thinking of everyone on this board and of your buddy and I will pray to God to help you deal with this as I am also down and worried.. God does hear us don't he?? I will pray for no cancer in the colon and that it is just a cyst or some othe problem... Good Luck Norme and if you need to talk let me know... Either pm me or I'll give you my number if you need someone to talk to... I wish we all lived in the same community we could all fall apart together or hold each other up through rough times and stressfull times!! Tell Buddy I am praying for him and I will pray for you too Norme.. Hang in there.... Wish we could hold each other up!!!

Love and Hugs,

Christy

norme:

as so many others have stated above you are a great source of strength for not only your buddy but for so many of us.

there are times when one can feel so depressed because of what this disease does to our loved ones. yet it is always great to be able to come to this board and get some inspiration from members like you.

please take care of yourself. prayers for you both.

Donaf

Many have mentioned the cough problem and especially the dry cough. I don't know how many have a pulmonologist but I couldn't do without mine. He always seems to understand my description of various coughs. In 2001 I complained of a different cough and that is when he ordered the first cat scan. He has me on Combivent and Advair inhalers and at one time battled the ins co for me to get a 3rd one because of the cough. It cleared up and we stopped the third inhaler. sometimes he puts me on low dose of prednison for a short time. It works. So what I am saying is, if you don't have a pulmonary doctor, GET ONE. They can handle problems the onc don't seem to tackle. Mine gets copies of every scan I have and at other times communicates with the onc. BLT

praying for you. I think Jonathon is right CPT-11 works for both colon and lung.

Are they sure that the colon is not the first primary w/ lung mets?

I think there sometimes is a problem finding the primary.

Might be something to ask about, (not positive though)

praying for you. I think Jonathon is right CPT-11 works for both colon and lung.

Are they sure that the colon is not the first primary w/ lung mets?

I think there sometimes is a problem finding the primary.

Might be something to ask about, (not positive though)

Check on the new chemo Oxaliplatin also - It is only through clinical trial

Listen all you lovely people, you let me worry about you and not you for me. I will start the worrying process if and when for myself.......

Strange things really happen for the best at times and you wonder how and why. There must be a God looking down for what I am going to tell you is really food for thought.

When I noticed I was having a problem I really didn't know who to go to. I didn't want to go to my family dr, I wanted to skip that process for it only delays the problem at this point. Not knowing any dr for this condition I looked in the phone book and right under the A's was this dr who advertised for my condition. (This was before we also knew about Buddy having the same problem.) Only this dr was listed, so I thought he was practicing by himself. I call and explained to some very nice lady my problem and explained my Buddy's past problems and never knowing when I would be available because of his condition so if possible needed an appointment soon. She at first stated that he couldn't see me until 11/17, then she put me on hold and came back and asked if I could go to another location which is only 5 miles from home. If so he would see me on 10/29 which was today. Then we found out about Buddy yesterday and the onc called his surgeon who took out his lung knowing that he also worked on colons. He made him an appt on 11/5 for a consultation. Here today i am at the drs and my eye see little 2 by 3 cards showing this drs name plus buddy's surgeon's name. They are partners along with a few other drs. I told him about Buddy needing to have the colonoscopy done like yesterday in order to see about more chemo if necessary or surgery. He said to me, I am going on vacation the week after next and I will be the dr that will see your husband for this treatment so you let me handle it and I will get him in to see the scheduled dr this friday and I will do a scope on your buddy next week. He said it was very important to have buddy done immediately and he will do mine when he gets back. This dr was sent by God to me in the telephone book, I know that, for I can feel it........ I am so at peace.....

Hi Norme-

I'm so sorry to hear of the newest scan. Your Buddy sure sounds strong as do you.

Is Buddy taking steroids? my mom had a cough and we discovered that the steriods caused my mom to get a fungus of some sort in her mouth and down her throat. Apparently its common. They gave her a prescription for it which she took for 14 days.

My prayers are with you.

Norme,

That is wonderful news about this doctor getting Buddy in right away. It is a God send, he does listen to our prayers and answers them. Keep the faith, we are praying very hard for both of you. Buddy's tests are going to come back clean. I have faith that if we put our problems in his hands he will take care of us... All we have to do is believe. I am happy for you that you are a bit relieved and takes some of the stress off of you.

Warm Regards,

Karen

Norme,

Your post today sounds so promising. What a relief it is to have a doctor you have lots of faith in and who has your best interest at heart. I am so happy that he will see Buddy next week.

Now don't deny us the privilege of worrying for you! You have been such a support to all of us and you deserve all the support we can give. I have no doubt that God is watching over both you and Buddy. Didn't the visit today prove that. We will keep up the prayers for both of you.

God Bless,

BLT

Norme, You know there is no reason to ask us not to worry!! Thats my best trait these days!! lol I bet I could worry enough for all of you on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You worry and care so much about all of us, don't even think for one minute that we aren't gonna worry about you and Buddy too!! We love and care about you, so you might as well expect it!! Hell if I'm worrying about you too, then maybe I'll do a little less worry and feeling sorry for myself!! You have been such a strenthen to me Norme!!! I will be here for you too!!! Good Luck, and it looks like God was with you guys on this one!!! Keep us Posted on how things are going...

Hugs to you and Buddy!!!!

Christy