******Update******Very Sad Day CPT11 Not Working

lc46

Well My Mom went to get her chemo today and was told not only were her #'s down but the CPT11 is not working. The tumor in her liver has doubled in size and there is another spot. The oncologist wants to "talk" to us tomorrow after she gets her MRI of her brain.

I don't understand why they didn't put her back on Etoposide/Carboplatin since it worked well and gave her 6 months with no cancer??? I'm going to find out tomorrow what the new plan is. The 25th of this month will be one year since DX-I'm not ready to lose my Mom. I have been the one who keeps her positive and tells her the stories about the survivors...is this the beginning of the end? Such

a very sad day today.

Dar

We are not giving up until they say there is nothing left to try. Unfortunately from everything I know about small cell-2nd line treatment rarely works for long. On one hand I am trying to stay positive but you all know that with this roller coaster of a disease it is so hard sometimes. I have not cried in a long time over this because she kept getting good news time and time again. Today I broke down..........

I read so many stories on here and just in the year I have been on this site so many more have lost their loved ones. Everyone wishes/hopes/prays that they will be one of the lucky ones. I can't imagine my life without my Mom and my children-oh god I don't even want to think about how I would ever have to tell them.

Bobby-I wasn't there-my brother went with her today -I wouldn't have made it back in time to get my kids. I am going down tomorrow with her so I can talk to the Dr myself. I want her back on the Etoposide/Carbo-again.....

Hoping your sis has good results today

Keep me posted

Dar

I will say a prayer for you and your Mom that the Dr. already has a plan ready for her. Beverly is on Topotecan and I really don't think it is working for her. I think she is still on it because there has not been a drastic growth. I broke down last night after talking to her. She can not complete a sentence without gasping for air. Her tumor is bearing down on her windpipe and so far, the brachytherapy has not improved that. All we can do is pray. Sometimes I wish I could take her place.

Love to you and your family..Tell your Mom we are with her and to stay positive and beat this beast! I hate cancer!

Bobby

I agree with what Katie said. I always think of CindyRN, because she's proof that even SC cancer can be kept under control.

Our Oncologist explained to us that small cell usually reacts very well with the Carboplatin/Etopocide combo the first time it's used, but that they switch to another one if they have to do a second round.

For some reason it doesn't work well in most people if used twice.(Someone correct me if I have that wrong, please.)

Harry did the Cysplatin and Etopocide, then one round of Carboplatin, which he didn't react well to, so he is on Taxol now. Maybe you could ask about it? It doesn't make him nearly as sick either.

I'm saying prayers for you guys. Please let us know what the doctor says.

Nova

Dar,

Listen to me. I just went through the exact same thing with my Dad. He was taking the Irinotecan same as your mom and had another spot grow on his liver. I now have him back at John Hopkins where he will begin a clinical trial on Monday. Don't give up hope, there is always something else. Find out about the really good cancer treatment centers like Sloan Memorial or John Hopkins and get her there. They are all doing some very amazing things. In the meantime, I will let you know how my Dad does on this clinical.

Many prayers to you and your mom!

Oh Dar......I am really sorry to hear this. Hopefully today you will be armed with a new game plan ready to go. If not, don't hesitate to explore other facilities and tx options elsewhere.

You and mom have been troopers through this and she's responded well. No reason that can't continue. Good luck and be sure to let us know your update.

Kasey

We are home. Well we got some good news!

Brain MRI-clear-no evidence of tumor-all gone.

Moms radiologist (we love him)is going to do radiation to the spot on her liver (as long as her PET Scan shows everything else is clear outside of lung) This is what I was hoping for. Hopefully that will fry that sucker for awhile. Her lung is stable, her brain is clear and if we get that liver met fried we should be in good shape for awhile....

We will still have the option of going back for more chemo but for right now we didn't even meet with the oncologist today.

Radiologist and Oncologist were arguing a bit on the phone-We love love love our radiologist-he's a big teddy bear of a guy who totally thinks outside of the box and our oncologist is a Miserable Bi-ch

So that is the news for the day. We will get the PET next week and take it from there...........

Thanks so much for being there everytime I need you guys....you're the best!!!!

Dar

Dar,

I loved hearing that news. I felt very much the same when we found out the Topotecan wasn't working for Bill. I felt devastated that there would be nothing else. Meanwhile he has had Radiation on several different places and we won't know till November what it got rid of.

Blessings to your Mom. Hope she gets that met in her liver fried. Hey, like liver and onions???

I was happy to read that! :D

Radiation shrunk Harry's biggest tumor a BUNCH, so here's hoping that it completely wipes out your Mom's!!

Teddy Bear doctor's are the best, especially if they're stubborn about knowing what to do to be effective! Too bad that your Oncologist stinks... You wanna borrow my cast iron skillet?? :P

I'm so happy for you guys!

Nova