Our health insurance got canceled today....

Nova

Harry's company kept him on their plan as long as they could. (They were so good to keep us on it, even though he hasn't been able to go back to work at all.)

They said they would send us the Cobra information, but there's no way we can afford that.

I'm kind of throwing my hands up now, because I don't have a clue what to do.

I went online and applied for a Medicaid card for him, but it looks as if he's going to make about $30 a month too much from his Disability check. (it's such a pittance, I don't see how it could be TOO much, but they have their guidelines, I guess).

He can't get Medicare for another year and a half....

What do people do that don't have any insurance at all?????

Geez Nova -- always one more thing to fight! I'm sorry about this latest development.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought ex-sclc was an automatic disability through Social Security and all benefits and insurance would apply. Doesn't everyone say it takes six months for the benefits to kick in or am I dreaming? Somebody?

At any rate, we're here for you. I know what you mean about Cobra -- waaaayyy too expensive. Crap. Hang in there.

Hugs,

Debi

It seems so unfair that you have this worry too. I know , I myself am having to pay Cobra prices for insurance and I have no income.. robbing my savings blind. I'm sure the link Katie gave you is a good one and I do know that there is a way to get coverage for cancer. You might want to check with the American Cancer Society. I have heard they can steer you in the right direction. Good luck and lots of prayers for you and Harry.

Sue

Oh gosh Nova! I know how scary a time this is...we've been there. I think everyone is right about Harry qualifying for Medicare through the SSA. But as already suggested I would work with a social worker where he is receiving care as well. Sometimes they can help you avoid pitfalls and get things moving more quickly.

Keeping everything crossed that this will be resolved quickly.

Thanks everyone.

Harry is already on Social Security Disability. He was diagnosed in January, and approved for it in February. (Small cell makes you automatically eligible. :( )

We had to wait the 5 months to get a check, (and it was only for 1 month, so when you hear about getting "back pay", it's hooey! You get a check for a single month!)

He has to be on Disability for 2 years before he's eligible for for Medicare.

We are a family of 3, (with our 14 year old, Jacob), and they're saying Harry makes just a tiny bit too much for us to receive Medicaid.(something like $30 too much).

It seems we're falling thru all of the cracks!

The eligibility requirements for some of these things crack me up.... (in an ironic way).

It looks like there is so much help available, but when you read the fine print, it says things like "You have to have lived on an Indian Reservation for at least 6 months in Utah", or you have to have at least 14 children living with you in your home, or if you made more then $10,000 last year, you don't qualify.

I love America, but I sure wish they would do something about our health system. It's ridiculous.

Harry has worked and paid taxes since he was 15 years old!

Getting off my soapbox now!

Thank you everyone.

"Something" will work out.

Well that is about the last thing you needed right now! Maybe your church or families could help out with the Cobra Payments? My sister is on Cobra and she has had to take out of her savings to pay the premiums...but it beats the heck out of no insurance.Her doctor told her yesterday that the Avastin that she is taking is $10,000.00..for one treatment! It is absolutely ridiculous. People that need help should be able to get help.

I hope things settle down for you soon. I know when something is thrown at you like that..it takes a couple of days to figure things out. You will be ok..just let go and let God!

Love,

Bobby

Nova,

I'm so sorry you are having to worry about insurance now too. I agree about trying to find a way to make the Cobra work if at all possible. It's expensive, but it is probably less expensive than paying out of pocket for medical expenses.

I'll keep you and Harry in my prayers,

Susan

Sorry Maryanne, I meant to answer your question. No, Harry was never in the Military.

Susan and Bobby, my family members are very kind, good, honest, hard working people, but not wealthy in the least. (I come from a very long line of coal miner's, railroader's and iron workers. ) There's no way any of them could come up with any extra money to help pay for insurance costs.

Our total "savings", is the gigantic amount of $36 that's in our checking account!!! :D:shock: hahaha! I wonder how many "drips" of chemo that will pay for??!!! (one, maybe).

Something will work out though. I appreciate all the ideas and kind thoughts.

Take care,

Nova

P.S.

Does the word "Canceled" have ONE "L" in it, or TWO? It doesn't look right with one!!! LOL! Harry's chemo treatments have affected my brain! :roll::shock:

Nova,

When I first was diagnosed I had no insurance and the Cancer Center was able to help out with getting the chemo donated. I just had to do a few things and fill out a little paper work. So you might want to check with the finacial at your cancer center and see what they can do. I am sorry you even have to deal with this on top of everything else.

Nova,

I sure hope that you can find some help through your treatment center. I too received SS Disability right away due to my diagnosis (after the 6 month qualifying period), but am also waiting for the 2 years to become eligible for Medicare. I am paying $800.00 a month for COBRA coverage for me and my kids. It is a killer, but there's not much else I can do. My SSD along with the long term disability that I receive from my job is approximately the same as my take home salary when I was employed - but I was not paying one third of it out to cover health insurance! I am hoping I can find cheap insurance for the kids when I become eligible for Medicare or else I will be in the same boat as now or worse! Good luck to you and Harry. You are in my prayers.

God Bless,

Sharon

Thanks Sharon,

I'm glad that your company had a long term disability program to add on to your SS disability, but sorry you're having to pay so much out for insurance.

Harry's company didn't offer long, or even a "short" term policy when he was working. We would have signed up for it if they had.

You were wise to think ahead! (Something we didn't do, and are now paying for).

Hindsight is 20/20 though! Just have to keep moving forward!

Thanks for writing.

I hope you have a very good day today!

Nova

Hi Sharon,

Sorry to hear about your health care problems. I totally understand as I'm going through the exact same thing myself. I live in Florida too but my losing health care is a similar story to Liz who also lives in this state. Good luck finding any help with this. I've been scrambling for a month now with NO results. (Sheesh, I can't even find emotional "support" on the online sites who supposedly exsist for that purpose. Looks like you have better luck than me in that regard.)

LMK if you find any help at all in regard to health care. I'd really appreciate it.

Eileen

Nova and Eileen,

I just remembered that my state (Pennsylvania) offers low cost insurance to adults. It is called adult Basic and it is administered by Blue Cross. It covers just the basics - no out patient prescription drug coverage - but I think it does cover chemo. I don't know if Florida has something similar, but it would be worth checking out. I found out about my state's program on their website. Good Luck to you! Stay strong!

God Bless,

Sharon

Nova,

Sorry to hear about the insurance. I keep seeing adds on TV about people with no insurance that need help sponsored by the American Cancer I would contact them maybe they can help. I would hang onto the cobra if at all possible. Where in Florida are you. Maybe his fellow workers could help.

Stay positive,

:)

Ernie

Eileen,

Good luck finding ANYTHING at all in our wonderful State of Florida. It's like it's own little 3rd world country. There's NOTHING!

I spoke with a woman from the Lance Armstrong society, (Thanks Katie, for that Link. They called me back the same day I emailed them, bless their hearts), but even she was amazed at the programs that her State has, that Florida doesn't have.

We did find out today, that our insurance will be good until the end of October, so that will at least get Harry thru his Oncologist's appt. on the 5th, plus one more round of chemo. After that, who knows??

Like Scarlett O'Hara said: "I'll think about that tomorrow"! :shock:

If there's anything I can help you with, Liz or Eileen, please let me know. I have a slew of numbers for the makers of medications commonly used to treat cancer patients, (like the anti-nausea meds, etc), and they will send you a prescription for free, or at a very low cost, etc.

Anything at all I can do, let me know. We're all in this mess together. :cry:

Nova