Jump to content

Bruce U


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone.

I wanted to make sure we all met Bruce U. He had posted on a different thread and I have moved him here so he would be welcomed.

This is his post....

First time viewing this site. I am a 46 year old male that had surgery in September removing the upper lobe of my left lung. Discovered last February in a chest x-ray,the tumour was 2cm and was a stage 1b. Now I have to decide to have 4 rounds of adjuvant chemotherapy or not. There are mixed opinions on this for stage 1b. Would anyone have more information on this or on studies completed ?

Welcome Bruce!



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Bruce, I think the last I heard adjuvant chemo for 1b was still considered controversial. I would ask for DR West’s opinion and just do what he recommends.


For what is worth I never had adjuvant chemo after I had a 4 by 5 cm mass stage Ib removed at my upper left lobe. I had a new cancer less than a year later in my lower lobe, Maybe if I had chemo, I would not have had the second cancer, but no one really knows for sure.

Don M

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome Bruce. I have been in your situation twice. Adjuvant chemo for stage 1B was just being considered back in June 2003 and there were few studies. I did have chemo (carbo and taxol) following surgery to remove the upper lobe in my right lung. 18 months after the first surgery, a tumor appeared in the upper lobe of my left lung. Again, surgery followed by chemo (cisplatin and gemzar). The first time my reasoning was that if I had chemo and didn't need it, I would never know. If I didn't have chemo and would have benefitted from it, I would regret that decision. As it turned out, I made the right decision. I don't know how much sooner the second tumor would been seen without chemo (sooner, I assume, but don't know).

I really recommend adjuvant chemo - especially since you are young, and probably,healthy. Let us know what you decide.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, Bruce, welcome to the LCSC!

Nicole mentioned onctalk.com as an excellent source for the type of information you're seeking. I went there just now, typed "adjuvant" in the search box, and found a number of pertinent items by Dr. West that mention Stage IB in the context of adjuvant chemo:




If you register (many of us have the same usernames there as here) you can ask a specific question, and Dr. West will normally answer within 24 hours. Of course he won't give you medical advice as such, but he is very good about laying out the pros and cons in an understandable manner.

When you make your decision about the chemo, we'd appreciate hearing about your decision and the factors that led to it.

Best wishes and Aloha,


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Bruce and welcome to this site of support. I had chemoradiation before surgery, then surgery, then adjuvant chemo. My stage was 3A. My surgery was in July, 2005 and my scans have been clear since. Talk to your doctors so that you can give yourself the best advantages available against this awful disease.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Bruce and welcome to LCSC. The final decision will be yours or course so you need to arm yourself with all the information you can stand to absorb and then take it from there. Keep us posted.

P.S. with red face Christine you had already cut his message out and started it here. Sorry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Bruce,

I had a situation very similar to yours except my tumor was approximately 6 x 6.5 cm, much larger than yours. I opted for the adjuvant chemo and don't regret it one bit. It has now been 20 months since my surgery and all scans/x-rays have shown no evidence of disease. Chemo was no walk in the park but I had few side effects (meds controlled most very well) other than hair loss and fatigue. Best wishes on your fight with this disease, no matter what course you choose.


Link to comment
Share on other sites


Welcome to the site. For what it's worth, I was originally diagnosed with Stage Ib in 2004 and was initially scheduled for chemo and/or radiation following my lobectomy. But after the operation, in which they had to remove my entire lung, I was bumped up to IIb. At that point it was a no brainer.

I'm happy you are a candidate for surgery. Good luck.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.